UPS liable for shipping contraband cigarettes in New York, damages reduced: court

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
UPS liable for shipping contraband cigarettes in New York, damages reduced: court - Reuters

A federal appeals court found United Parcel Service Inc liable to New York state and New York City for shipping hundreds of thousands of cartons of untaxed cigarettes, but reduced its payout for damages and unpaid taxes to about $97.6 million from $247 million.

The 2nd U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in Manhattan agreed with a trial judge that UPS violated a federal anti-cigarette trafficking law and New York’s public health law by shipping the contraband cigarettes, which often came from Indian reservations.

In a 115-page decision, Circuit Judge Gerard Lynch wrote that UPS also violated its October 2005 Assurance of Discontinuance with the state not to ship cigarettes to consumers and unlicensed dealers, and that shielding it from liability “would thwart the AOD’s purpose.”

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
I missed out on the one year safety billfold. I was number 2 in the building for injuries. The guy who was number one used to fill one out a year....after he had gotten his one year injury free

those were the best billfold’s
I’d trade all the other safety and safe driving trinkets for some wallets

Justaloader

I have to wonder how many packages I've moved / loaded in my time that have had drugs in them. Unbeknownst to me, I could be aiding and abetting illegal activity just by doing my job. (We've had packages break open and "questionable" things fall out - it's a rare occurance though).

allahuakbar

She/Her
I have to wonder how many packages I've moved / loaded in my time that have had drugs in them. Unbeknownst to me, I could be aiding and abetting illegal activity just by doing my job. (We've had packages break open and "questionable" things fall out - it's a rare occurance though).
We just tape them back up here.

Netsua 3:16

AND THAT’S THE BOTTOM LINE
Dude it’s not my job to inspect the contents of a package. None of my business, don’t even want to know. I have plenty to worry about on road as it is