UPS--Missing the chance!

Braveheart

At my center as in centers all across the U.S. routes are being cut as well as service. Day in and day out I see business being lost because numbers and reports that translate into mgmt bonuses are more important. I fully understand that these are hard economic times. Which is exactly why we should be getting businesses off early and gain their trust and more importantly their business. We boast that we have the largest logistical network right; well lets use it. For example in my center we "HAD" a large account who wanted to have a feeder trailer at their dock during the day. This would have made it easier for them and they would have loaded it saving UPS money. But our center mgmt made excuses and stalled, so fedex put a trailer there and now they have 95% of the volume. I feel helpless as some(not all mgmt) cannot see past today and there next report!!!!
What we need to do is take the company back to being private.

Give the drivers a real cut of the profits whether it be stock bonuses, 401K matches or even bigger sales lead rewards.

Get rid of the sales people and just up our cut of the sales leads.

A= company saves a ton of money on all of the sales peoples salaries, benes, pension etc etc.

B= our sales leads skyrocket now because we get hundreds and thousands for leads instead of tens to hundreds.

We may spend a little extra time with the customer but the increased package volume and zero sales people cost savings will more than offset the extra overtime.

I gave a lead that was for a multi-million dollar account and got only a few hundred bucks. I had a friend at another company tell me if he had signed something like that he would have got a few thousand dollars.

Last edited:

Dagoof

I get business stops pulled off shelf 1 given to another driver on shelf 8 then I get resi stops across town to do at 2:00 before my pickups. Im also the air shuttle outta town so what I dont finish I have to give the rest to the same driver they gave my shelf 1 too. Now those business stops never know if they will get their stuff first or last.

Oh, whew! And Bernie Madoff will return all the money? AIG execs will not take any more billions of $? Enron will reinstate their retirement plans for the employees? Pan American Airways will be number one again? Pope Barack is going to save the world?

"Toto, we ARE in Oz!"
You forgot, " The South will Rise again"

For example in my center we "HAD" a large account who wanted to have a feeder trailer at their dock during the day. This would have made it easier for them and they would have loaded it saving UPS money. But our center mgmt made excuses and stalled, so fedex put a trailer there and now they have 95% of the volume. I feel helpless as some(not all mgmt) cannot see past today and there next report!!!!

That has been going on for years, a customer wants a feeder pu, but they don't get one. You know for a fact that a feeder pu would have been profitable at that account?

UPSNewbie

That has been going on for years, a customer wants a feeder pu, but they don't get one. You know for a fact that a feeder pu would have been profitable at that account?

Does using one of the trailers sitting in the yard, and a tractor once a day for a few hours really cause that much more loss than losing an account that deems it necessary to need a 45'?

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
Best quote I've ever heard - "The management who got you into this mess is not the management that will get you out." unknown

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
Does using one of the trailers sitting in the yard, and a tractor once a day for a few hours really cause that much more loss than losing an account that deems it necessary to need a 45'?

Here's the thing...package and feeder are in competition with each other. Normally, that isn't such a terrible thing. Competition brings out the best effort in people. When you're in a losing economy, competition within the company needs to take a hike. Any volume, no matter who it goes to, as long as it's profitable needs to be swiped.

UPSNewbie

Here's the thing...package and feeder are in competition with each other. Normally, that isn't such a terrible thing. Competition brings out the best effort in people. When you're in a losing economy, competition within the company needs to take a hike. Any volume, no matter who it goes to, as long as it's profitable needs to be swiped.

Agreed.