UPS MORE THAN DOUBLES 3rd Q PROFIT!!

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
It's sad when people forget where they came from and how they got there.
When I started part time, it was taking most people between 4-5 years of part time work to get the opportunity to go full time and I was making almost 3x minimum wage to start and benefits after 30 days.
It wasn't long before I was hired that part timers made a similar scale as full timers, but that scale was conceded in a prior contract and was just the beginning of things to come.
7 years and 8 months later, when I finally ascended the seniority ladder and earned my position as a driver, I still had two additional years of progression to get to top scale.
Since then, vacation replacement language coupled with seasonal language, gives the company the availability to use nonunion employees in full time driving positions for more than 6 months of the year.
Before the vacation replacement language, they could only use seasonals for less than 2 months.
In my building, 14 year pt employees are just now getting their number called, while staring at a 4 year progression.
Do the math, if they start at age 20 as I did, they will not hit top scale till age 38 and will not get their 30 full time years in until their 64.
Look into the future in the Central Region where the company will now use part timers as single day vacation replacement drivers, even when there is nobody on a single day vacation and imagine how few more new permanent drivers will be hired annually.
So if your looking for where all these record profits are being realized, look no further than the back of your truck at 4am, or in that trailer as you walk out in the evening.
Our contract has mirrored society in this country, where the rich get richer and the poor get poorer.
I hope while your enjoying your overpriced steak dinner and bottomless Sailor Jerry's on the rock tonight, you take pause and realize that as a whole we have all become selfish Me-sters.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
I agree Bubble! All that was supposedly fought for with the strike for 10000 full time jobs has been thrown away with our contract language regarding seasonals and single day coverage drivers!! It's a sad state for future UPS drivers!! Upstate talked at length about a two tier wage system. There is no need for it, no one will ever become full time so they will never reach top scale!! Throw in the loss of more than half of the 22.3 jobs and I am very worried about the future of all the new hires at UPS. There is no way they will make a career out of this place as we did when we started!!

I will never understand how the current leadership can make such noise about a war on workers when they are giving away full time jobs with their own contracts!!

upschuck

I don't understand what you mean by losing half the 22.3 jobs, the new contract adds 2350? new 22.3 jobs. All 22.3 jobs have a number associated with them, if your center has lost them, UPS would have to show union where those jobs have gone, if asked.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I don't understand what you mean by losing half the 22.3 jobs, the new contract adds 2350? new 22.3 jobs. All 22.3 jobs have a number associated with them, if your center has lost them, UPS would have to show union where those jobs have gone, if asked.

That has been an unregulated shell game.
Art 22.2 states that permanent full time inside job are guaranteed from replacement by part time employees, but it happens all the time.
How can porter work be moved to another location?
Grievances on this subject stagnate in the system, relegated to committee holds, and are rarely ruled on the favor of the union.
​Any areas with unresolved supplements should seriously consider asking for this issue to be addressed.

upschuck

That has been an unregulated shell game.
Art 22.2 states that permanent full time inside job are guaranteed from replacement by part time employees, but it happens all the time.
How can porter work be moved to another location?
Grievances on this subject stagnate in the system, relegated to committee holds, and are rarely ruled on the favor of the union.
​Any areas with unresolved supplements should seriously consider asking for this issue to be addressed.

In our local, when a new FT job is created, then PTers get that job. After that first move, anyone can sign.

The work no, the FT job yes.

How can they not be ruled in favor of the union? It is black and white in the contract, no gray area here.

InsideUPS

Do the math, if they start at age 20 as I did, they will not hit top scale till age 38 and will not get their 30 full time years in until their 64.
Look into the future in the Central Region where the company will now use part timers as single day vacation replacement drivers, even when there is nobody on a single day vacation and imagine how few more new permanent drivers will be hired annually.
Our contract has mirrored society in this country, where the rich get richer and the poor get poorer.

I agree Bubble! All that was supposedly fought for with the strike for 10000 full time jobs has been thrown away with our contract language regarding seasonals and single day coverage drivers!! It's a sad state for future UPS drivers!! Upstate talked at length about a two tier wage system. There is no need for it, no one will ever become full time so they will never reach top scale!! Throw in the loss of more than half of the 22.3 jobs and I am very worried about the future of all the new hires at UPS. There is no way they will make a career out of this place as we did when we started!!!

I share your concern about the future of UPS drivers and full-time jobs. There will be far fewer full-time pensions in the future as Bubblehead mentioned. We have a significant number of employees in our building that will not be at top scale until their mid-30's. Working at the level and pace of current day standards will be very difficult for 55+ year old drivers. Considering the poor financial status of the Central States pension fund, I wonder sometimes if this is not by design. After all, would it not benefit the financial health of a fund if employees are paying into the fund but never collecting what they paid in? Personally, I would never count on collecting a full pension if I were a driver starting today. The only retirement fund I trust is what I contribute to my 401k.

The problem with UPS contracts is employee apathy. Believe it or not, I still have full-time drivers asking me if the contract passed. When you have nearly 2/3 of the employees not vote in a contract year...when ballots are sent directly to their home..., you leave a minority of individuals in charge of deciding your fate. Personally, I blame apathetic.. non-voting union employees for our concessionary contract issues more than I blame our leadership. Although I was a "yes" voter the second time around....(a "no" the first time)......at least I voted...

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
Agreed, 35% participation in my local and the ballot is in your mailbox? Come on!!! I also have full time drivers asking me every day if the contract passed!! I also have people ask me at least once a day if our insurance changed?

Education is the key!!

RealPerson

Some key points not to be missed:

"The company added that it plans to hire 55,000 workers to handle the crush of packages around the holidays — about the same as the last two years"

Ok, lets read on:

"It expects peak-season daily volume to rise 8 percent over 2012"
Lets do the math, same amount of seasonal workers, but 8 percent more volume = screwed.
Keep in mind this year is the shortest period between Thanksgiving and Christmas = Double screwed.

"United Parcel Service Co. said that net income in the third quarter soared to $1.10 billion, or $1.16 per share. That was a penny better than analysts expected and an improvement over the $469"

Sounds like UPS just doubled net income from 3q 2012 that was only 469 million, but lets read on.

"The 2012 figure would have been $1.06 per share without a $559 million pension-restructuring charge."

A little math, take the 469 million and add that to the one time charge of 559 million, and the 3q for 2012 net income would of been a little over 1 billion. That would mean that the true increase, minus the one time pension charge, means that 2013 rose 3q net income by a little over 6%.

"UPS delivered more than 1 billion packages in the quarter, an increase of 4.6 percent"

4.6% increase in volume. So the 6% in net income is not shabby.

"FedEx Corp. predicted volumes on peak December days will rise by double-digit percentages over last year."
Here is the big problem

"UPS executives said that this year's late Thanksgiving holiday, Nov. 28, will be a challenge. Cramming holiday shipments into fewer days could make the network run more efficiently"

So, UPS executives will be cramming 8% more work then last years peak, in a shorter period, with the same workforce used the last two peaks.........Back up the truck, we will be making a fortune as drivers this year.

They raised our PPH and laid off more workers.. The simple plan is, Do More work!!! Oh and lose some benefits if you are part time...

All you guys proud of the money, some of us want to be able to move around when we are old. Like most of the 22.3's taking a $5 hour pay cut to live life better...

RealPerson

Agreed, 35% participation in my local and the ballot is in your mailbox? Come on!!! I also have full time drivers asking me every day if the contract passed!! I also have people ask me at least once a day if our insurance changed?

Education is the key!!

Exactly... Even the Supervisors are asking, while they are not in the Union, I would think their higher up would tell them, that

It passed by a very small majority, and insurance doesn't take affect till all supplements are voted in.

RealPerson

I agree Bubble! All that was supposedly fought for with the strike for 10000 full time jobs has been thrown away with our contract language regarding seasonals and single day coverage drivers!! It's a sad state for future UPS drivers!! Upstate talked at length about a two tier wage system. There is no need for it, no one will ever become full time so they will never reach top scale!! Throw in the loss of more than half of the 22.3 jobs and I am very worried about the future of all the new hires at UPS. There is no way they will make a career out of this place as we did when we started!!

I will never understand how the current leadership can make such noise about a war on workers when they are giving away full time jobs with their own contracts!!

Well Said...

BrownChoice

In my local FTers have first chance to bid on any Art. 22.3 jobs. If no FTer wants it than it goes to PT.

Either way, in that scenario, there would still be a new full time spot opening up, whether it be 22.3 or package driver.

personaly id love to get on the 22.3 list that does pre-load(come in 45 min earlier than rest of pre-load) and then go to air port, deliver EAM's, then do regular air until 1-2:30PM...

that would be the best job ever in my opinion, and youd actually get to see your family!

ups legacy

I will take all the o.t. they give me. No matter the stop count or volume, I go the same speed and deliver one stop at a time. I don't get wrapped up in all these numbers. We can't control any of it so why bother. If the volume goes up but the staffing stays the same, what can you do as a driver? This news is good for those of us that buy stock on a weekly basis. Doing more with less has been this company's motto forever. Nothing about this article was surprising.

PT Car Washer

Either way, in that scenario, there would still be a new full time spot opening up, whether it be 22.3 or package driver.

personaly id love to get on the 22.3 list that does pre-load(come in 45 min earlier than rest of pre-load) and then go to air port, deliver EAM's, then do regular air until 1-2:30PM...

that would be the best job ever in my opinion, and youd actually get to see your family!

In my building we have about 8 22.3 jobs you describe. Air has to be off by 10:30 and then shuttle misloads around to get your 8. Never a problem getting their 8. I cover drive for 4 of them during the year. Heard one made a 100K last year before UPS cut back on hours for air drivers. I will still make 60K this year again working PT.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
I share your concern about the future of UPS drivers and full-time jobs. There will be far fewer full-time pensions in the future as Bubblehead mentioned. We have a significant number of employees in our building that will not be at top scale until their mid-30's. Working at the level and pace of current day standards will be very difficult for 55+ year old drivers. Considering the poor financial status of the Central States pension fund, I wonder sometimes if this is not by design. After all, would it not benefit the financial health of a fund if employees are paying into the fund but never collecting what they paid in? Personally, I would never count on collecting a full pension if I were a driver starting today. The only retirement fund I trust is what I contribute to my 401k.

I have yet to see or hear a proponent of our new contract tackle this issue head-on. I've heard Al Nelson of Central States personally give us the bad news, but no one from the union.

The problem with UPS contracts is employee apathy. Believe it or not, I still have full-time drivers asking me if the contract passed. When you have nearly 2/3 of the employees not vote in a contract year...when ballots are sent directly to their home..., you leave a minority of individuals in charge of deciding your fate. Personally, I blame apathetic.. non-voting union employees for our concessionary contract issues more than I blame our leadership.

This is a two way street of destruction. Certainly, union members need to grab their own bull by the horns, but each individual local, with strong direction from the International, needs to engage workers that are not drinking buddies too. Each side needs a kick in the ass.

Although I was a "yes" voter the second time around....(a "no" the first time)......at least I voted...

C

chuchu

Many people didn't vote because they figured it was "fixed" and would pass anyway. I heard that statement almost daily before the first vote.
I think we're losing faith in the belief that anything can get better if we hang tough.

It's a lot harder when you have to negotiate with the union and the company. Many just gave up.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

In our local, when a new FT job is created, then PTers get that job. After that first move, anyone can sign.

The work no, the FT job yes.

How can they not be ruled in favor of the union? It is black and white in the contract, no gray area here.

Isn't this part of the Master from to last contract? I remember hearing rumbles in my building how art 22.3 jobs would be offered to inside employees first, to give them better opportunities to move, and not be stuck because drivers-even those with less total time at UPS-swooped in since FT trumped PT. I thought it was a good addition, even though I had taken advantage of getting a FT inside job faster via becoming a driver.