Ups new hire

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
Well I emailed my HR and if she has any kind of a heart she will be straight forward as for I do have a family and am the only finical support we have

She had to sell her soul when she went into management. Sure, you may get hired after peak but odds are long. Think long and hard before you make any decision. If you know anyone that works in your potential center talk to them. Find out if they currently cutting routes and/or laying off drivers.

thebrown1

Just like others have said, not one of these poeple in this thread can tell you yes you will get hired or no you will not get hired. If you can keep your other job and still work with ups then do that. That way it still works out and you have a back up plan.

Man Of Brown

I drove peak as a seasonal last year. I was hired in October, trained in November, but didn't start working until December. So a lot of down time.

My sup was able to tell me exactly where they were for the 1:6. I knew I wouldn't have a job after peak but I left a good enough impression I was hired as the 1:6 in August. If you can swing it and you are wanting to work for UPS then go for it. But it sounds a bit risky IMO

Ant12

DONT DO IT. I was in a class of 15 seasonal hires. Only me and this 60 year old woman made it past peak, and thats because our relatives work at UPS.

barnyard

KTM rider
Plus, the highest turnover rate amongst FT UPS people is off the street hires. Think about that carefully before you commit.

box_beeyotch

Do your time as a package handler after peak or stay where you are.

(Yeah this may sound mean but oh well)

Amen. There are guys who killed themselves for 10 plus years in my building waiting for the opportunity at a full time career. The inside guy always deserves it more, point blank period.

The Driver

I drive.
For what it's worth, I was hired seasonally last year off-the-street. Got called back this spring and I'm full-time now. Worked hard and sucked up big time. Got lucky, too, for sure.

upsbeernut

Sometimes i feel like a nut sometimes i dont
Its not the late 80s when the economy was booming, guarantees from UPS are so up in the air you never know . One of my responses I said I recommended several good people and none of them got hired . Even my brotherinlaw with 20 years in the navy as a mechanic. Not trying to burst your bubble but your taking a chance. You could try to brown nose but I think its always up to the slow ass human resources department who hire mostly duds .

R6acer

It's a Risk vs reward thing to be honest. I was seasonal last year and was brought back as ft shortly after peak. 6-1 has to be filled. Just remember this job is demanding so be honest with yourself about this being a career choice. Other then that good luck

71Fish

I was an outside hire at the Ogden, UT center. When hired, HR told me as long as I passed my 30 days I was considered a permanent, full time employee. Supervision at the center was more honest, letting me know that after peak I would be laid off. I could get called if a driver was on vacation or sick. I may be called again during summer peak season. Lucky for everyone involved, I have a terrible internal GPS so I would have been fired anyway. I quit after a few weeks before it came to that and was hired (where I am now) shortly thereafter.

As someone else said, and I believe it's true, the inside people deserve it more. Plus, they understand the culture, system and UPS terminology better than an outside hire. Of course you will learn it, but you haven't "lived" it, if that makes sense.

Another thing is how as an outside hire you will be treated. Everyone was extremely nice and helpful, and the wanted me to succeed. But, since I didn't come up in the UPS system, I was an outcast. In the morning I didn't have anyone to BS with while getting ready to head out. If this was a traditional type office job I would have been eating lunch in the corner alone. If I stuck around for the office Christmas party, (if there was one) I would have had to sit with my supervisor because I wasn't part of any driver cliques. I'm a guy in my 40s and don't mean to sound like a teenage girl, but being part of "the group" at work makes a huge difference in your day. You won't be part of any group.

My advice to you as someone who was in your position, stay where you are. If you aren't happy in your current job, keep looking, but don't accept this driver position.

YellowSox

They told me if I stood out and had a good work ethic then I had the chance of being hired on at the end of the peak what is this about
No, not likely. They will say that to get the most out of you if you want the permanent full time gig. They could send you jumping through loops for years before (if they ever) hire you full time.

Sent using BrownCafe App

platinum9898

Joining ups is about your future not the present. No quick money to be made. you have to grind your way up, whether you start on the inside working 2 jobs to make ends meet or starting as a casual and working miracles to make ends meet. There's great money to be made but regardless it will take years to get your fulltime opportunity... unless you're one of the lucky few or superman.

Sent using BrownCafe App