UPS Newbie - Thinking about quitting (ASAP)

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Ain't nothing wrong with that (says I after 18 holes, homemade pizza done on the smoker and several (!!) cold ones sprinkled through the day)!
2014-08-01-22-24-06-1977254623.jpeg

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I felt the same way, but I had to have a job, so it was my job to be able to do it again, the next day. After a while, its all ok. I didnt have to pay to go work out, I was getting paid to work out. Go to work, do nothing but prepare for day 3 and 4, and 5. In a week or two you will be fine, tough it out unless you have options then if you dont like the hard work go home, someone else is waiting, trust me.

danir

I've been doing the package handling for about two and a half months. Not long I know. Hang in there it gets easier. Some days are still tough but you'll make it. I went to driving school a month ago. I did air a couple times. But it will all be worth the wait.

Sent using BrownCafe App

J

jibbs

lol @ sonic the headhog

Sonic's a hedgehog, dude. Headhog sounds like he's always in the smile*ter.

I think about quitting at least once a week, tbh... sometimes every day of a given week. I feel like if you're a PTer that doesn't, you're not paying enough attention. There's incentives to stay, they're just not strong enough for everybody.

Did you have the "packages falling" dreams yet?

I haven't dealt with those, but I've had the occasional dream where I'm in a huge center with trucks lined up along belts that go as far as the eye can see, and same deal above and below me. I dunno how the belts are stacked like that but it's one of my dreams so it's probably gonna be a little friend*ed in some regard or another. Just massive belts and infinite trucks, man.... Dark lighting.... Smells like sweaty clothes... Never any falling boxes, though....

That dream always leaves me feeling stressed out when I wake up, for real...

Last edited by a moderator:

AndUPSER

If you quit go out in style. The most common is going to the restroom and never coming back. It causes pt sups to freak out and wondering when they will come back.

We had one guy who 10 minutes into the sort informed his trainer he would not be coming in tomorrow because this job was to tough. They still kept him until the end of the night.

Harry Manback

Robot Extraordinaire
You old guys will remember the trailer floor flaps coming unhooked and slamming down on your head.

I remember. I was on the sort aisle one morning and watched a flap crash into an unloader's head. Cut him pretty bad. He came in a few days later with a bald spot and staples. He didn't quit.

Perhaps he had larger testicles than OP.

Sent using a Potato

working up a sweat

I hated loading those old school pup trailers with the bellies, flaps and built in rollers.

They were always an accident waiting to happen.

Have not seen one in about 4 years in my hub.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
If you quit go out in style. The most common is going to the restroom and never coming back. It causes pt sups to freak out and wondering when they will come back.

We had one guy who 10 minutes into the sort informed his trainer he would not be coming in tomorrow because this job was to tough. They still kept him until the end of the night.
Well at least the guy had the balls to tell them he quit and was honest about it. Slinking off to the bathroom and walking out just shows a lack of integrity.....stand behind your decisions....right, wrong or indifferent.

boxcrusher

Honestly bro, I would give it some more time. Like a good solid year or so with peak and everything. If you make it through peak then you can handle it. (you'd be surprised how much tougher it makes you and you get jacked). Then decide leaving knowing you actually gave it a solid try at least. Myself I loaded for 5 years and then went to pt management for 2. Literally resigned two days ago. So it took me seven years to realize I did not want to die miserable here and am now going into a union job in NYC and could not be happier. I'm still young and would like to pursue other things besides boxes. And yes I remember my box nightmares too (had one were I was literally swimming in boxes on the belt trying to reach one). Stick with it for a little bit who knows you may like the workout eventually. Personally I'm done with the stress and seeing miserable drivers loaders and everything in between.

Michalzpl

Sky Soldiers!
You just got to grow accustom to it. It is something new for you. Yes it can be very strenuous on the body, but after a while you get use to it. Then, you just push onward, maybe transfer after you probation period. Don't give up to easy. Life isn't always easy.

Take care

I'm a 40 year old lady and when I first started the HR lady told me " You won't last". Well I'm here 8 years later and the HR lady isn't. Hang in there kid...if my old ass can do it so can you.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
Just your typical kid of the new generation !! He probably needs an attah boy everyday and thinks he'll get a trophy for showing up !! how do you think us other guys and gals did this ?? We sucked it up !! if you cant handle it ,mom will pick you up in her minivan and get you an ice-cream for the effort on the way home !!!