UPS OVERNITE driver Killed

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
I`m on a board with lots of 30 and 40 year veterans,most with equal years of safe driving,and there isn`t a one of them who I feel are endangering the public. There`s stories in the news daily about some younger person dying on the road because of a poor decision and funny thing is there is not a ups driver among them. While I`m only in my forties I do have a spotless record both privately and with the company and feel your comment on the safety of a driver to be in question simply because of age to be offensive especially coming from someone who`s not a driver with our company.

That's why I said maybe, CACH. I didn't specifically advocate such a policy. That's for the powers that be in the Atlanta Ivory Tower to decide. Regardless, I apologize for any offense. -Rocky

local804

Its the way of the Reamsters, Local804. It kinda makes sense, too: keep as many members on the roll for as long as possible. And then, above, read Sammie's post about being underprepared for retirement. I don't consider it an assumption. I consider it reasonable belief. As to the NYPD...they have a reason for the maximum start age (ie fitness, etc) And I believe officers periodically undergo fitness exams/tests. If they fail them, they're put on desk or building duty. -Rocky

Your belief is an opinion and your entiltled to one. If they keep as many members as long as possible(as you said) they would never have to charge any new members dues and initiation fees. It is a domino effect and it must continue on both UPS and Teamsters parts. One man retires and a young man replaces his footsteps. Like I said before and I will say it again If we didnt have a union in NY 75% or more of members over 45 would be replaced by 21 year olds. Now that isnt an assumption, that actually is reality.Oh thats right UPS doesnt discriminate LOL LOL

Last edited:

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
Your belief is an opinion and your entiltled to one. If they keep as many members as long as possible(as you said) they would never have to charge any new members dues and initiation fees. It is a domino effect and it must continue on both UPS and Teamsters parts. One man retires and a young man replaces his footsteps. Like I said before and I will say it again If we didnt have a union in NY 75% or more of members over 45 would be replaced by 21 year olds. Now that isnt an assumption, that actually is reality.Oh thats right UPS doesnt discriminate LOL LOL

Unfortunately, that's how business is. I'm not condoning it in any way. I'm sure I'll get reamed for saying it by someone. And I've seen UPS discriminate by playing the "diversity" or government quota card (forget the term now). It makes me sick. I'm sure I'll get reamed for that last comment, too. Any takers? -Rocky

MR_Vengeance

United Parcel Survivor
I do a lot of shifting and in turn could say I`ve seen lots of streeters "driving nuts" in the yard. Last I checked we both came out of the same locker room.

most that i work with out of my hub are guys who respect each other's right of ways in the yard. But the problem starts when i go to other hubs.......i was told by elders always take my time when i'm in the yard or backing up. maybe some people just need to learn how to take the time to have
Patience.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Heres another thought, on this age thing, although all the others are also possibilities.

Maybe he enjoyed his work. Imagine THAT> Look around and see all the old truck drivers, I see them who look like they could be my fathers age. (he would be 80)

He also was a truck driver til he had his heart attack and couldnt pass a DOT anymore, but the love for it never left him, he would talk about it all the time.
The comraderie of the job and the people you work with, and maybe never having had much of a social life outside of work, yes it happens. And they still look forward to getting up and going to drive that rig.

as we all send our thoughts and prayers to his family, I for one would like to think that is why he was still working.

most that i work with out of my hub are guys who respect each other's right of ways in the yard. But the problem starts when i go to other hubs.......i was told by elders always take my time when i'm in the yard or backing up. maybe some people just need to learn how to take the time to have
Patience.

I agree with you 100%.

any122

adirondack man
Very sad indeed, seems like it was definately avoidable. Just one question. Why on earth would somebody still be working at age 69?
First off this driver is a UPS freight driver not a ups feeder.As for his age it may come as a surprise to some but some people do enjoy thier job.We on the freight side have always had pride in our job and enjoyed doing it.Unlike the hate and discontent that seems to be the norm on the package side or is it the teamster side.Im sure the jockey that killed this man lost his job and will have to live with it.Its sad that this happened for this is no accident its a careless unsafe act.No persons life should ever be lost due to the careless unsafe actions of others.

tieguy

Banned
Maybe its time for UPS to institute a nationwide or corporate policy on retirement age. That won't happen with the condition of the various Teamster pension funds, though. What a shame...endangering the public's life, too.

I`m on a board with lots of 30 and 40 year veterans,most with equal years of safe driving,and there isn`t a one of them who I feel are endangering the public. There`s stories in the news daily about some younger person dying on the road because of a poor decision and funny thing is there is not a ups driver among them. While I`m only in my forties I do have a spotless record both privately and with the company and feel your comment on the safety of a driver to be in question simply because of age to be offensive especially coming from someone who`s not a driver with our company.

I didn't see where he directed anything against drivers in their forties. The question on whether there should be age limits for feeder drivers is a reasonable one to ask. Asking if there should be a limit on the age of a driver is a reasonable request and does not require a CDL in order to ask the question. I believe the question comes up occasionally in florida when some senior citizen runs through a bus stop and takes out 4 or 5 people. When the question does pop up your knowing some senior drivers does not give you a license to kill the discussion.

I didn't see where he directed anything against drivers in their forties. The question on whether there should be age limits for feeder drivers is a reasonable one to ask. Asking if there should be a limit on the age of a driver is a reasonable request and does not require a CDL in order to ask the question. I believe the question comes up occasionally in florida when some senior citizen runs through a bus stop and takes out 4 or 5 people. When the question does pop up your knowing some senior drivers does not give you a license to kill the discussion.

The difference is Tie that the Fl seniors in question were not behind the wheel of UPS feeder equipment. You did not see anything directed against drivers in their forties but what you did not COMPREHEND was that the drivers in their forties will someday be in their sixties and will be every bit as safe as the drivers of that age we have now.I`ll put money on the ability of our most senior driver against you and Rockys any day of the week. It`s easy to jump on the new American band wagon thats wants change or regulations of something that they`re not involved in. You don`t see me jumping on to demand that runners from Colorado should slow down or so called Mgmt from the east coast should pass I.Q. tests do you?

U

UPS Freight worker

ANY122, YOU ARE A JERK! Only a low-life would bring the IBT into this thread! The man is dead, because UPS Freight has almost no enforced safety rules! It is a small miracle that more people aren't hurt on the job with the lack a safety enforcement a UPS Freight. I hope that the boys in Atlanta will finally put some teeth in saftey a UPS freight! Right now it is very limited! If you really worked at UPS Freight you would know that safety is only a buzz word. Only 31 out of over 250 terminals had no loss time injuries last year. It has very little to due with labor and management. It is a long running culture at OVNT! Talk safety, but talk is cheap! Until all employees take the safety rules seriously, safety will only be a buzz word! It is up to the whole work force to make the job safe!

local804

Lets not forget that these guys passed their DOT physical otherwise they wouldnt be driving. I would rather see them push a broom or retape packages if they want to work but oh well. Our district has many 40 years of service(not age) drivers in feeder and it keeps the younger guys from getting a shot.

Lets not forget that these guys passed their DOT physical otherwise they wouldnt be driving. I would rather see them push a broom or retape packages if they want to work but oh well. Our district has many 40 years of service(not age) drivers in feeder and it keeps the younger guys from getting a shot.
But remember those 40 years of service drivers also at one time had to wait their turn to "get a shot".

local804

But remember those 40 years of service drivers also at one time had to wait their turn to "get a shot".

Good point but ALL our top feeder drivers never drove a package car in their life. Atleast the suits have to do 30 days in a brown oven. Rock bottom guy on the feeder list has 19 years. Times change.

HazMatMan

First off this driver is a UPS freight driver not a ups feeder.As for his age it may come as a surprise to some but some people do enjoy thier job.We on the freight side have always had pride in our job and enjoyed doing it.Unlike the hate and discontent that seems to be the norm on the package side or is it the teamster side.Im sure the jockey that killed this man lost his job and will have to live with it.Its sad that this happened for this is no accident its a careless unsafe act.No persons life should ever be lost due to the careless unsafe actions of others.

First off, I never said the driver was a UPS feeder, don't know where you got that from. Secondly, I like my job too, and enjoy what I am doing, BUT, cannot wait for the day I retire.
Thirdly, The jockey did not have to necessarily lose his job, I do not know the whole story of how he was killed.

HazMatMan

Good point but ALL our top feeder drivers never drove a package car in their life. Atleast the suits have to do 30 days in a brown oven. Rock bottom guy on the feeder list has 19 years. Times change.

Suits no longer need to do 30 days in package to go from part-time to full-time.

True here also on the pkg statement,but I don`t have a problem except for a few guys. I think are bottom guys are around 12-15 yrs with the company. We were short drivers for a long time and then they brought in 90 or so in the last 24 months.

tieguy

Banned
The difference is Tie that the Fl seniors in question were not behind the wheel of UPS feeder equipment. You did not see anything directed against drivers in their forties but what you did not COMPREHEND was that the drivers in their forties will someday be in their sixties and will be every bit as safe as the drivers of that age we have now.I`ll put money on the ability of our most senior driver against you and Rockys any day of the week. It`s easy to jump on the new American band wagon thats wants change or regulations of something that they`re not involved in. You don`t see me jumping on to demand that runners from Colorado should slow down or so called Mgmt from the east coast should pass I.Q. tests do you?

And chicago drivers should be required to pass a test certifying they know the difference between sheep and women. You're really taking this issue way too personal. The drivers skill has nothing to do with the age issue. It has more to do with declining physical abilities. Even your contract addresses the issue of declining physical abilities. The age issue is a fair one for anyone to discuss and does not require a CDL to do so.

Last edited:

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
And this thread was devoted to a man who lost his life, not who was at fault, or why. Hes just dead, and I thought it sad.