UPS Package Delivery Driver Help please!!!

JohnH

I have an interview as a Package delivery driver with UPS this coming Monday. I have some questions if you guys can help
1- What should I wear? ?(suit&tie or casual)
2-How does the interview process goes? What kind of questions should I expect? Details Please
3-Would I know right away if Im hired?
4-what is their pay?
I meet all their qualifications and more is there a chance they will hire an outsider?
Please any accurate help is appreciated

UPSGUY72

I would dress like I would to any other interview you would go to. A nice shirt and tie, pants and shoes. As far as what they are going to ask you I would suspect your work history, driving history then they'll go over what they expect out of you.

If you get hired you will have pass a DOT physical and go to school first and you'll be hired as a casual not a full time driver. Which means that they will hire you for 6 months at a time and then lay you off. It also means that you basically have no union rights they can fire you at any time they feel like it. So you need to becareful and not get into any accidents or get hurt.

On the bright side if you a good casual driver and they like you they could hire you as full time but they first have to promote 6 inside people both they hire 1 from the outside.

JohnH

UPS72 thanx for the fast reply.

When you say hire me for 6 months and then lay me off what do you mean exactly? I work for 6 months and then get laid off for how long?
Also what is the pay for a casual driver?
Thanks man

brownrodster

I would dress like I would to any other interview you would go to. .

LOL. My interview I wore some old beat up shorts, an old faded college shirt and some hiking boots. I looked like I just got out of the unload. Everyone else interview that day had nice shirts and slacks. I got the job.

you'll be hired as a casual not a full time driver. Which means that they will hire you for 6 months at a time and then lay you off

Not necessarily. I've never seen them do that here. Maybe that's a regional supplement thing ??? He could be the 6-1 outside hire guy ???

backinbrown

respect my authority
UPS72 thanx for the fast reply.

When you say hire me for 6 months and then lay me off what do you mean exactly? I work for 6 months and then get laid off for how long?
Also what is the pay for a casual driver?
Thanks man

typically temp hired june to dec with 2 weeks of in sept.

pay i think is 14 something or 16 something an hour

been a long time since i was a temp

put up with a lot but it was well worth it

backinbrown

respect my authority
LOL. My interview I wore some old beat up shorts, an old faded college shirt and some hiking boots. I looked like I just got out of the unload. Everyone else interview that day had nice shirts and slacks. I got the job.

Not necessarily. I've never seen them do that here. Maybe that's a regional supplement thing ??? He could be the 6-1 outside hire guy ???

depends on were they are but it is 6 inside hire full time then one outside hire full time

he could be the one outside

UPSGUY72

He could be getting hired as a full time. But more likely as a casual.

They will hire for six months and lay you off for six then hire you again for 6 months. You really need to ask when you have your interview what the deal is. If they hire you full time great if just as a casual your foot is in the door do a good job show up to work everyday and let then know your looking to go full time.

There problably going to ask you in the interview if you have a problem with only working six months and get layed off possibly. Don't tell then yes they won't hire you at all. `

backinbrown

respect my authority
that's why I'm think it only as a casual driver

either way good luck it is worth the hard work

you will want to cry as a temp they will give you alot and you will have to take it and ask for more

show up sick

dont get hurt

no accidents not even a tiny one

i hope you make it

UPSGUY72

Eventhough the Job saids i have an interview for a FULL TIME package delivery driver?

The HR person told you it was for a full time postion ??

Maybe but I would be betting that it's a a full time casual driver meaning you will be driving full time but only for 6 months.

I can't see them hiring full time drivers with them laying off drivers. I got bumped back into the preload a month ago. I know in my building they aren't hiring anyone right now.

Loco170Brownie

We have had a Temp here work thru peak of 07, get laid off, come back for summer cover in 08, get laid off, then come back for peak 08.

Great worker, everyone said how well she did, Sups were all happy with her. Yep laid off again, with the call you in the spring.

Glad I came up from PT....:peaceful:

backinbrown

respect my authority
We have had a Temp here work thru peak of 07, get laid off, come back for summer cover in 08, get laid off, then come back for peak 08.

Great worker, everyone said how well she did, Sups were all happy with her. Yep laid off again, with the call you in the spring.

Glad I came up from PT....:peaceful:

6 to 1 ratio will come around she will get her chance

she should keep coming back

backinbrown

respect my authority
I believe they can only ask you to come back three time after that If they hire you back I think you full time. But I might be wrong.

we had one who did 7 seasons as a temp new allmost every run in the building then one season decided they would not bring him in full time and he was not brought back.

felt bad for him

Kraetos

Preload, Loader
It depends on where you live. If you live in the northern states your out of luck for a full time driver position. If your in the south like I am you have a great chance. My hub just hired a new guy off the street for a full time driver position, and it was not casual.

UPSGUY72

It depends on where you live. If you live in the northern states your out of luck for a full time driver position. If your in the south like I am you have a great chance. My hub just hired a new guy off the street for a full time driver position, and it was not casual.

I think your building might be an exception but it doesn't matter where you iare located the south, north or another country business is slow for UPS.

JohnH

The thing is that I have a masters degree, I speak three fluent languages and I have all kind of experiences,GM,Manager ect... I am 28 years old and been to over 15 countries for business, I owned my business for the last 3 years and now I CANT FIND A JOB!! To be honest after speaking to a friend who works as a driver for UPS it seems to me that it is the best choice available. I hope I get hired...Its sad to see what our country is going through!!