UPS reverses on gay worker's transfer

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
pkgcartiny.GIF
UPS reverses on gay worker's transfer - Gay.com

Just hours after being hit with a gay discrimination lawsuit in California state court, United Parcel Service (UPS) announced that a veteran employee will be allowed to transfer from San Francisco to Chicago in order to remain with his partner of 27 years.

txminer

Go Sox
UPS caved in instead of standing up for what Mr. Casey a christian, would have said was an abomination in the eyes of God.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
If they caved in, it was a good thing. If Mr Casey was a real Christian, I suspect he would have stood up and cheered. Compassion - 1, Bigotry - 0. We all win.

tieguy

Banned
what made it bigotry? Legally recognized marriage is between a man and a women. Do we allow a man and his animal the same rights next to avoid the bigotry label? The words racist and bigot are way overused.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I'm not sure that a legal definition of marriage is the issue. UPS is not legally required to let anyone transfer, married or not. Allowing some management employees to transfer because of their domestic situation while denying that option to others, with the deciding factor being the gender of the employee's domestic partner, is clearly discriminatory (ok, bigotry was a bit strong) regardless of whether or not you agree with the policy or what your position is on the gay marriage debate. At any rate, according to UPS, they were already planning to correct this policy in order to make it more inclusive. I applaud the company's action, it makes me proud to be a UPSer.

C

circlew31546

Gonna sponser Michael Walltip Racing if he is not gay would be a surprise to me.

tieguy

Banned
Jones said:
I'm not sure that a legal definition of marriage is the issue. UPS is not legally required to let anyone transfer, married or not. Allowing some management employees to transfer because of their domestic situation while denying that option to others, with the deciding factor being the gender of the employee's domestic partner, is clearly discriminatory (ok, bigotry was a bit strong) regardless of whether or not you agree with the policy or what your position is on the gay marriage debate. At any rate, according to UPS, they were already planning to correct this policy in order to make it more inclusive. I applaud the company's action, it makes me proud to be a UPSer.

I think you like many of us have overstated the issue. I think the guy applied for a transfer and did not get it becasue we rarely if ever allow them for any reason. Believe me I have seen a guy fight for one for three years before finally getting it. The gay issue came up after the guy was refused. At that point he claims he has been denied because he is gay and ups gets a big lump in their throat thinking about the lawsuit headed their way. I would like to think there was something there to be proud of but it sounds like plain old fashioned arm twisting to me. This guy got his way by threatening us with a discrimination suit that he could not prove but that could have gotten us a lot of bad press.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
He shouldn't have got the tranfer. As a heterosexual hourly, I am not able to do the same. I feel discriminated against.

over9five

Staff member
Because the politically correct thing to do is cheer for an openly gay person. If we denied the transfer, we'd be gay-bashers.

T

Thebrowntruth

Thats it I am requesting my transfer to Key West immediately! All I have to do is find someone to play along with the relationship thing, DARN I never knew it was so easy. So Scratch King, Over 9.5, heck anyone at all out there want to go to Key West?

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I think it is wrong, I cant transfer, you cant transfer but say you are gay and you can transfer?? Wheres the fairness in that?

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
toonertoo said:
I think it is wrong, I cant transfer, you cant transfer but say you are gay and you can transfer?? Wheres the fairness in that?
You should read the article, Tooner, it might clear up some misconceptions.
The reason you (and I) can't transfer has nothing to do with being gay or straight, it's because we are hourly and the option to transfer is only available to management.

The management person in question was not allowed to transfer because he "said he was gay", he was allowed to transfer because UPS has a program (for management) that allows managment personnel to transfer to another location to be with their spouse/partner.