UPS says some Christmas deliveries delayed

moreluck

golden ticket member
A good analogy would be..........you are planning for a big Thanksgiving dinner.

You run to your grocery store on Thanksgiving Day.....they are out of turkeys. You blame the store
for ruining your holiday !!

Back first

I just delivered to a customer who said Blumenthal is an A-hole. He is our state senator. I hate when politicians get involved, when they have no clue!

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
A good analogy would be..........you are planning for a big Thanksgiving dinner.

You run to your grocery store on Thanksgiving Day.....they are out of turkeys. You blame the store

This is ridiculous at best. Planning, planning, planning. If the supermarket "incorrectly" forecasted the amount of turkeys needed for its customers, and the shelves were empty on thanksgiving, its the supermarkets fault, not the customers.

UPS is no different. Poor Planning in every aspect of peak has haunted UPS for the last 7 years. Each year, retarded forecasts havent come close to meeting volume and packages delayed. Piling over 200 stops into package cars and running drivers 12 hours or more is a bad reflection to customers who are waiting for xmas packages. What statement does it make to a customer who gets a notice that their package is coming between 9am and 6pm and then it arrives at 830pm or later? UPS is digging a giant hole in its reputation when it does this, yet it continues to do it year over year instead of adding seasonal drivers to reduce workloads.

It was only a matter of time before they really dropped the ball and screwed millions of customers.

Cutting back feeder runs, cutting back sleeper runs, cutting back on preloaders, cutting back on unloaders, cutting back on loaders, cutting back package drivers, cutting back on seasonal drivers, cutting back on the purchasing of package cars and tractors, these are the things that lead to a disastrous peak like we are experiencing today.

UPS isnt going to admit any of this in the publics eye. Thats why they want the drivers to say "no comment" if asked by the media for an interview.

UPS knows, that this information will hurt its reputation nationwide. UPS has CUT in every department, bragging about doing more with LESS. This time, it FAILED completely.

UPS miscalculated in its forecasting what the volume would be like in the peak weeks and it developed its peak plan on this bad data. This is what you get when you have people making forecasts who never have done the job before, somewhat like Hoaxter.

UPS intended on "saving money" this peak and now its costing them millions to fix its mistakes.

At my hub, our DM said this, in our planning meeting in early November, "peak this year is going to be slower than previous years, packages are going to get smaller, and we wont have to run as many cars as before, this year, I wont be ordering any more P110 or P112's and we are going to only USE P800's for peak. Going to smaller trucks will save us fuel and space"..

Now, when this was said, we laughed, as "We" have our finger on the pulse of the business. Drivers know whats coming, we see the kinds of volume coming everyday, we see the buying trends of all customers. We know when the businesses are stocking up, we know when the residential customers are spending "disposable" cash, and we can gauge peak by those very buying trends. But UPS has some engineer sitting at a desk watching FOX news and hearing about the OBAMA economy and they plan according to nonsense.

The third quarter GDP for this country was at 4.1%, the highest in 10 years. This alone tells you the economy was booming, but UPS felt otherwise.

The mistakes of this peak is simply the cumulation of previous mistakes year over year and now UPS will pay for those mistakes by losing a large percentage of Amazon.com's business in the months to come as well as next peak.

Moreluck, if your supermarket was the only store in town, and year over year, it ordered fewer and fewer turkeys each thanksgiving, and it reached a point where it couldnt service its regular customers, then you can bet your ash that it ruined thanksgiving for some.

You have NO CLUE about the operation of UPS, and maybe staying out of the conversation would be in your best interests.

TOS

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I work in a Bonus Center. I mean a "Bone Us Center". We have a bunch of runners, and they're ruining the entire Center. These clowns come in an hour or two early to sort their own trucks. You shouldn't touch a package until you're on the clock! Then these ball-bags run their little D's off just to make an hour they would've gotten back in OT anyway if they just took their lunches! I see them every morning looking at the paperwork. Seeing how they did, and then bitching about not getting more, and why they're getting an extra split. Why?! Hey a-holes, you get more work if you run fast. Simple equation. You will NEVER continue to get done by 3 PM when they know they can jack you up, cut another trip, and they know you'll still run your little D's off. Two runners in my area that took over for 20+ year vets have now taken all my work. They cut my trip permanently, and I've had to bid a crappier area. Excuse me when I tell them to friend off when I hear them crying about getting more work. They brought it on themselves. If you have to be home every day by 4 PM then find a new job. Running your balls off and screwing everyone around you isn't the smart way to work, and you'll never make it to retirement as a runner.
We have a sate little driver that has screwed every route in his area. It all starts with wanting to get off early. He leaves a few packages at ppl work places. Now 2 years later he leaves have the route at other places and his stop count has doubled. He throws a bitch fit every day that he does so much more than everyone else. We all just sit back and laugh.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
This is ridiculous at best. Planning, planning, planning. If the supermarket "incorrectly" forecasted the amount of turkeys needed for its customers, and the shelves were empty on thanksgiving, its the supermarkets fault, not the customers.

UPS is no different. Poor Planning in every aspect of peak has haunted UPS for the last 7 years. Each year, retarded forecasts havent come close to meeting volume and packages delayed. Piling over 200 stops into package cars and running drivers 12 hours or more is a bad reflection to customers who are waiting for xmas packages. What statement does it make to a customer who gets a notice that their package is coming between 9am and 6pm and then it arrives at 830pm or later? UPS is digging a giant hole in its reputation when it does this, yet it continues to do it year over year instead of adding seasonal drivers to reduce workloads.

It was only a matter of time before they really dropped the ball and screwed millions of customers.

Cutting back feeder runs, cutting back sleeper runs, cutting back on preloaders, cutting back on unloaders, cutting back on loaders, cutting back package drivers, cutting back on seasonal drivers, cutting back on the purchasing of package cars and tractors, these are the things that lead to a disastrous peak like we are experiencing today.

UPS isnt going to admit any of this in the publics eye. Thats why they want the drivers to say "no comment" if asked by the media for an interview.

UPS knows, that this information will hurt its reputation nationwide. UPS has CUT in every department, bragging about doing more with LESS. This time, it FAILED completely.

UPS miscalculated in its forecasting what the volume would be like in the peak weeks and it developed its peak plan on this bad data. This is what you get when you have people making forecasts who never have done the job before, somewhat like Hoaxter.

UPS intended on "saving money" this peak and now its costing them millions to fix its mistakes.

At my hub, our DM said this, in our planning meeting in early November, "peak this year is going to be slower than previous years, packages are going to get smaller, and we wont have to run as many cars as before, this year, I wont be ordering any more P110 or P112's and we are going to only USE P800's for peak. Going to smaller trucks will save us fuel and space"..

Now, when this was said, we laughed, as "We" have our finger on the pulse of the business. Drivers know whats coming, we see the kinds of volume coming everyday, we see the buying trends of all customers. We know when the businesses are stocking up, we know when the residential customers are spending "disposable" cash, and we can gauge peak by those very buying trends. But UPS has some engineer sitting at a desk watching FOX news and hearing about the OBAMA economy and they plan according to nonsense.

The third quarter GDP for this country was at 4.1%, the highest in 10 years. This alone tells you the economy was booming, but UPS felt otherwise.

The mistakes of this peak is simply the cumulation of previous mistakes year over year and now UPS will pay for those mistakes by losing a large percentage of Amazon.com's business in the months to come as well as next peak.

Moreluck, if your supermarket was the only store in town, and year over year, it ordered fewer and fewer turkeys each thanksgiving, and it reached a point where it couldnt service its regular customers, then you can bet your ash that it ruined thanksgiving for some.

You have NO CLUE about the operation of UPS, and maybe staying out of the conversation would be in your best interests.

TOS

I am disappointed at how little mention I got in this spew.
I give you full mention in short concise posts.

To BC members,
Be honest, did you even notice my name in this long-winded, rambling diatribe?

SignificantOwner

A Package Center Manager

To make this a good analogy imagine the store advertising, sending emails, and yelling on street corners to "come get your turkeys here!" This after they were out of turkeys.

oldupsman

I am disappointed at how little mention I got in this spew.
I give you full mention in short concise posts.

To BC members,
Be honest, did you even notice my name in this long-winded, rambling diatribe?

I noticed that he spelled it wrong. You got me fooled. I actually think that since you worked
for UPS for 40 years you might have some insight. Although as I mentioned elsewhere, I agree with
the gist of the post. Maybe cutting cutting cutting is no longer the answer.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
Yawn...this PR disaster is a non story. It happens every year. We're always understaffed, we're always at over capacity, and every year little Timmy and Annie gets two Christmases. Do you really think this is going to change what happens at UPS? UPS doesn't give a damn. All they have to do is ride this out for another few days and it'll disappear into the news cycle ether and the 10 minute attention spans 90% of Americans have these days will erase everything else. Amazon will leave and ship with FredEX and others, but their capacities are even smaller than ours combined and they'll be back. I agree the forecasts sucked eggs and the lean and mean strategy backfired, but in my building every single truck available went out. All the rentals...all the old shoulder breakers...all of managements vehicles. Some folks went out with 350 stops and everyone that finished early went out to help. Worst peak ever? Volume wise...sure. Every peak sucks.

oldupsman

Yawn...this PR disaster is a non story. It happens every year. We're always understaffed, we're always at over capacity, and every year little Timmy and Annie gets two Christmases. Do you really think this is going to change what happens at UPS? UPS doesn't give a damn. All they have to do is ride this out for another few days and it'll disappear into the news cycle ether and the 10 minute attention spans 90% of Americans have these days will erase everything else. Amazon will leave and ship with FredEX and others, but their capacities are even smaller than ours combined and they'll be back. I agree the forecasts sucked eggs and the lean and mean strategy backfired, but in my building every single truck available went out. All the rentals...all the old shoulder breakers...all of managements vehicles. Some folks went out with 350 stops and everyone that finished early went out to help. Worst peak ever? Volume wise...sure. Every peak sucks.

I agree that it won't stick around long for now but you can bet it will pop up next December and then UPS
is going to have to be able to show the public it won't happen again.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I agree that it won't stick around long for now but you can bet it will pop up next December and then UPS
Especially now that some industry experts have updated the talking heads' scripts for them to read.
Now, it's UPS and FedEx and Amazon FAIL.
There are increasing number of coverage spots that are putting the blame on Amazon.
I saw one on MSNBC where they had an industry analyst who said Amazon is going to pony up some money in future holiday season to buy some capacity. He said this capacity costs money and Amazon is going to have to pay for it.
Maybe the analysts have been reading Brown Cafe!

oldngray

nowhere special
By the end of January most of this fiasco will be forgotten then back to same as before until next Christmas. Then suddenly people will remember in mid December when they all try to order last minute gifts (again).

phox1515

I'm getting tired of reading about this being ups' fault, we're not the ones who let customers order more than can be shipped in a given time, we are not the ones who promised customers that it would be delivered by christmas.

island1fox

Big news !!! All Christmas packages have now been delivered.

The North Pole did not melt , Rudolph still has a red nose and Santa can now have a well deserved rest.

Thank you to all who worked so hard !!!

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I agree with your gist but in reality, the Retailers (Amazon) will have to convince the buyers that it will not happen again.