UPS sick days

WorkingMomof2

I hear horror stories like this and cannot imagine working in a larger center or hub. Where I am at, everyone is basically family and we may cuss one another, but we end up picking up the slack when someone is off. Those are your days! Use them when needed.
It’s a shame honestly. I wish SO bad that they were friendlier and had a bit more compassion. But they don’t. All they care about is you being at work. Period. They could careless about what’s going on in our personal lives. We’re just a # to them and that’s very clear.

WorkingMomof2

Lol
Who you going to file a complaint with?
The mean police
Well I’ll be talking to My union steward. I’ll write up a report of exactly what happened and give it to him. That’s what he told me to do when I had an issue with one of the sups. He said it wasn’t a grievance matter but I could file a complaint. That’s what I was told. I never filed anything there before so it’s all new to me.

WorkingMomof2

Rarely used a sick day myself unless really struggling. But I used everyone of those days as a mental health day to go fishing or snow skiing. Great thing now is I have unlimited sick days. If I don't feel like doing anything today, I just take the day off. It snowed today, and I don't have to get out and drive to work with all the crazy drivers. And I don't have to talk to some gung ho supervisor worried about his job and harass me because he's afraid they may send him out to deliver for peak.
Thank you! That’s awesome your able to do that. It’s just so crazy to me how they’re able to treat their employees like that. I can’t help but shake my head in disgust and sadness.. They have no idea what’s going on in My life and I shouldn’t have to explain in detail why I need the day off. We get sick days for a reason and should be allowed to use them how we want, sick or not.. And shouldn’t have to worry about being harassed about it all. They love to intimidate us that’s for sure. They think they’re untouchable and it sure seems like they are. It’s just a crazy situation all around.

WorkingMomof2

Thank you. I would LOVE to give her a piece of My mind.
It’s so frustrating. They’re all nothing but a bunch of bullies I swear. The management is just so awful.

Last edited by a moderator:

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
.............................They’re all very rude and seem to think they’re untouchable. I really wish they were more compassionate because they have NO idea what’s going on in My personal life.
Thanks for your input tho. I do appreciate it.
Welcome to UPS: They are rude because they ABSOLUTELY DO NOT care about you. They don't care about you,your children,your personal life or anything else about you. One has to develop a VERY thick skin working here. I often say UPS makes Good People Do BAD Things. You have to stand up for yourself,and not get upset when they show you they don't care. You have to respond in kind and care ONLY about yourself.

intel wild

So I recently needed to use one of My sick days. I have been at UPS 3 years now. I am a part time package handler. (Tho not really part time now, we’re working like 8-9 hr. days) Anyways, I rarely EVER take off work and actually still have all of My personal days from this year.. I HATE to miss work but I needed to use one of My sick days for something VERY very important & personal..
Well when I called in to tell them, A female answered the phone and was extremely rude to me, She asked Why I needed to take off and I told her(which IMO we shouldn’t have to explain our personal things to them) she then said that I could come in afterwards, I then told her that i wasn’t able to, She then was talking to someone in the background relaying our conversation which was crazy (I felt ganged up on in a way) And I then told her that I put in for a personal day for this day I needed off but was denied(I heard from a co worker that after like October on they deny almost all personals because of the holiday season) (That’s totally unfair to me also because I save up My days for emergencies and now the end of the year I’m totally screwed because I didn’t use My days “fast enough” so now I miss out on taking them) (and yes I know they get paid out, but I’ll end up losing money because they’ll take taxes out) but whatever.. ..
And she then said “Well I’ll be getting ahold of your Union steward then” and I was like what?!
- - The whole conversation was absolutely bizarre and I just can’t believe that’s the way they treat employees, We’re entitled to our sick days, That’s the law. We’re in the union. How are they allowed to threaten us and in not so many words say “If you don’t come into work, you’ll be in trouble”. How?!
Every other job I’ve ever had, I’ve never had any issues when using a sick day. We shouldn’t be scared to call off and be in fear of something happening like getting a warning letter/getting sat down/getting written up etc. It’s not right and not fair...
We do have other responsibilities other then our job. We have doctor appointments/sick kids/emergencies etc. Things happen.

- - I did call My union hall and the guy that I spoke to basically said that the hub probably won’t do anything to me, that it was a “heat of the moment” thing and they were just mad about people calling off.. He said he made a note of it and wrote My name down just in case and I told him how crazy I thought the conversation was and how unprofessional it was of the lady, And I also told him that I rarely EVER miss work and to check My attendance. I’m always at work. He was nice about it all but still.. It’s upsetting& We shouldn’t be afraid to call off.

Has anyone else had issues like this? What did you guys do? What should I do? Should I file a complaint? Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks. 😊
In my center this what they like to do. Usually an office worker answers....Blank Center, how may I help you? Yea, this is Joe S and I'm calling in for a sick day...hold on...and they transfer you the center manager and make you tell a second person to put pressure on you. Just say the same thing and keep moving forward.

WorkingMomof2

In my center this what they like to do. Usually an office worker answers....Blank Center, how may I help you? Yea, this is Joe S and I'm calling in for a sick day...hold on...and they transfer you the center manager and make you tell a second person to put pressure on you. Just say the same thing and keep moving forward.
Wow that’s crazy. Yea we get 1 person that answers and usually someone is in the background and they kinda Gang up on you. It’s so messed up. SOO messed up. And I just don’t understand how such a BIG successful company can treat their employees like complete :censored2:!
It’s insanity and I’ve never experienced such disrespect and such attitudes from an employer of mine. Like they have absolutely no idea what’s going on in My life. It’s just so not right... And I’m tired of putting up with it.

Brownsocks

Just a dog
This is BrownSocks I won't be in today. OMS...Why won't you be in today?
Not your business, have a great day.
Works without fail the 1 or 2 times I call in per year.

CoolStoryBro

Clearly you talk way too much.

When you call in you simply say "I'm sick today."
There should never be a point where they ask you why you need the day off. And if they ask you why you need the day off you simply say I'm sick today.

you put them in a position where they didn't know why you were not coming in. if you tell them "I'm sick" then it makes sense and they can code the day out as sick. If you are unclear and saying dumb stuff like I need to day off or I'm not coming in today then they don't know how to code that and it makes no sense.

You don't have to reveal anything to them. Don't tell them any stories. Use the proper words and things go quickly and smoothly.

Brown Wing

Sandbagger
Wow that’s crazy. Yea we get 1 person that answers and usually someone is in the background and they kinda Gang up on you. It’s so messed up. SOO messed up. And I just don’t understand how such a BIG successful company can treat their employees like complete *!
It’s insanity and I’ve never experienced such disrespect and such attitudes from an employer of mine. Like they have absolutely no idea what’s going on in My life. It’s just so not right... And I’m tired of putting up with it.

Which shift are you on? Just call in hours before anyone would be there and leave a message. "Brownwing, twilight, unload" *click*

Wilson1397

Half the lies they tell about me aren't true!!
You don't have a attendance problem and they probably know you don't call out much. So they tried to intimidate you. Again next time just tell them who you are and that you're sick and hang up. You can not be fired for it as long as you don't have a habit of calling out.
You got this all wrong. I like going into great detail about having a bad case of diarrea. Trust me this will be the last time they ask you why!!!

Last edited:

WorkingMomof2

Which shift are you on? Just call in hours before anyone would be there and leave a message. "Brownwing, twilight, unload" *click*
Yea I did leave a voicemail the one time because nobody answered the damn phone and I got told we’re not allowed to do that. Lol well what are we supposed to do then if no one wants to answer? It’s craziness.

WorkingMomof2

Yep.

But... why are you trying to explain yourself ?

I don't get it.
Because they asked me why I was taking a sick day. Lol they ask a million questions. They shouldn’t but they do. We’re entitled to our sick days and it shouldn’t matter why I need to use it but they’re bullies and try to intimidate.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Because they asked me why I was taking a sick day. Lol they ask a million questions. They shouldn’t but they do. We’re entitled to our sick days and it shouldn’t matter why I need to use it but they’re bullies and try to intimidate.

To survive @UPS....

You are going to need to toughen up.

The management people that talk smack.... will be long gone before you.

Zowert

Next time don't keep talking.

"Hi this is WorkingMomof2. I'm sick today. Good bye"

Hang up.
Totally this. Why you’re calling in is none of their damn business, as long as you have the sick time in the bank.

I found if you be extra polite when you call in it really chaps their ass, “Good morning, this is John Smith, I am calling in sick today. Thank you, have a wonderful day.” *click*

If they try to retaliate in anyway file a harassment grievance.