UPS sleeper team question

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
NMA art. 43 sec. 2 specifically discusses subtracting sleeper runs for a start-up period (no more than 30 days), but subcontracting in general is under art. 32.
Art.26 NMA in reference to the 30 day startup period

The subcontracting can exceed thirty (30) days with the Union’s agreement if there are problems obtaining additional personnel or equipment. Agreement under this paragraph will not be unreasonably denied by the Union.

and in sect 6 of same article

The Company commits that the number of new drivers needed to remove loads from the rail shall be, at least, two thousand (2000), over the life of the current contract. The Company shall be required to train or hire, at least two hundred (200) drivers by De- cember 31, 2019 and twenty-five percent (25%) of the remaining needed drivers each calendar year thereafter. As long as the Com- pany satisfies these hiring/training obligations, it shall have the right to cover these runs with substitute means of transportation.

scary stuff.

542thruNthru

The subcontracting can exceed thirty (30) days with the Union’s agreement if there are problems obtaining additional personnel or equipment. Agreement under this paragraph will not be unreasonably denied by the Union.

The Company commits that the number of new drivers needed to remove loads from the rail shall be, at least, two thousand (2000), over the life of the current contract. The Company shall be required to train or hire, at least two hundred (200) drivers by De- cember 31, 2019 and twenty-five percent (25%) of the remaining needed drivers each calendar year thereafter. As long as the Com- pany satisfies these hiring/training obligations, it shall have the right to cover these runs with substitute means of transportation.

scary stuff.
I see you already found it. :)

Blackbeauty7123

scary stuff.
Scary stuff for sure, very interesting to see what they do next and in the next contract.

Rown1986

Yea well..Tesla has already been working on this as well...the only thing is, once the lawsuits start coming in from wrecks and companies lose millions because they trust software instead of actual human beings. This won't happen, not in my lifetime at least.

Rown1986

I see that Hodgkins IL CachHub is still hiring sleeper drivers, I was actually planning on applying but I've read that starting out new hires will likely just run the short routes, under 3500miles...at top scale that wouldn't brother me, ya know...95cents a mile split =]

Blackbeauty7123

I see that Hodgkins IL CachHub is still hiring sleeper drivers, I was actually planning on applying but I've read that starting out new hires will likely just run the short routes, under 3500miles...at top scale that wouldn't brother me, ya know...95cents a mile split =]
Do you have a link to where you read about new hires and short routers??

Rown1986

Do you have a link to where you read about new hires and short routers??
Its on the main ups careers website. Sleeper teams still being hired. As for where I read about the short routers it was on truckerforums or somewhere forum, posted by a UPS sleeper driver with many years with the company. Mentioned that the old timers take the high mileage runs because who doesn't want to make almost 180K a year. I did the math and even doing the shortest route from Cach you still bring 55k min just off mileage alone that's not including downtime and fuel stops. Once you hit that top scale the lowest you'll make even running the 3500 mile route its 100K a year working 2.5 to 3days. Sleeper team for UPS :censored2:s on any other gig in the LTL industry period. I actually did the math with trip times and pay breakdown, only doing 60mph average run times and being generous with 12 hour swap out for drivers its a cake walk for the money you make. Sure sleeping in a moving truck is unbearable but I've done plenty of chicago to Cali or Seattle runs and I've managed and I dont make :censored2: compared to what those guys make lol.

Last edited:

barnyard

KTM rider
If it is a 3 day route, you can also volunteer for extra work on your days off, that will all be local work and paid at an hourly rate.

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Well it’s not the empty or low volume trailers that’s necessarily the issue. CMG seems to be frustrated dealing with the union when it comes to sleeper runs. I was told the company isn’t adding on any more Sleeper drivers (company wide) for the rest of the year, all routes that are being run by contractors can’t be displaced for the moment. It’s raining grievances at my hub already because of that issue alone, soon if the company pulls the trigger to axe sleepers regardless what’s in our contract, there’s gonna be a storm of grievances across the country.
Not true. We have new sleeper jobs being bid every week.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
If it is a 3 day route, you can also volunteer for extra work on your days off, that will all be local work and paid at an hourly rate.
@Rown1986 : actually at CACH/CCHIL, the sleepers are Local 710. So any extra work would still be 'Road' work, i.e. runs to any where in IL outside of the Greater Chicago area, northern IN, SW MI, Davenport IA, Milwaukee, maybe to St Louis, Louisville, Toledo, Indy etc. Pay could still possibly be mileage. Local 705 does the 'City' ("local") work.