Sleeper team transparency

I will absolutely agree that this life is not for everyone and not for the long term, but neither is package. People retire from package just crumbling and divorce rates are sky high. I decided very early that I would do whatever I could to not become that. My wife and I came up with the plan that we make as much as we can for the next few years so we don’t have to work until even 55. No kids helps the time away from home but it’s still tough every week

Thebrownblob

I will absolutely agree that this life is not for everyone and not for the long term, but neither is package. People retire from package just crumbling and divorce rates are sky high. I decided very early that I would do whatever I could to not become that. My wife and I came up with the plan that we make as much as we can for the next few years so we don’t have to work until even 55. No kids helps the time away from home but it’s still tough every week
That’s a great plan and if it works for you more power to you. I agree with you this job can take a toll in any classification. Need an understanding spouse and a good exit strategy. It can be done but most don’t and it becomes a nightmare.

Thebrownblob

My friend who went to sleepers to pay off bills did not have an income problem, he had a spending problem, and having more money only made it worse. Then he was stuck and needed the money. Even as his family life was crumbling.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
That’s a great plan and if it works for you more power to you. I agree with you this job can take a toll in any classification. Need an understanding spouse and a good exit strategy. It can be done but most don’t and it becomes a nightmare.
I have a friend who was just going to do it for a year, to get himself out of some financial trouble, ended up losing his marriage and still has money problems. And health problems as well now. The money is almost too easy but the lifestyle is difficult for most.
Your marriage has to be rock solid to be doing that for any extended period of time.

My friend who went to sleepers to pay off bills did not have an income problem, he had a spending problem, and having more money only made it worse. Then he was stuck and needed the money. Even as his family life was crumbling.
Not saying I agree with Dave Ramsey on everything but I think we all know a few people in brown that would benefit from him. The only thing this money is doing is accelerating my timeline. Monthly budgets are the same, increases in income only means more time shaved off our end goals.

ManInBrown

Not everybody makes that…
Exactly, very few make that. Most that I speak to out of my building make 3k a week. Definitely great money. That $4600 is a cross country job. Or out to the Midwest, back to the coast repeatedly. One I just spoke to last week makes $3200-$3400 does where I am in northeast, to Houston, to cach, back to Houston, to somewhere in the northeast, back to Cach, to a building not far from cach, back home. That $4600 has to be a humper 5 day run. I get chills just thinking about how brutal that life must be. And that’s not even mentioning you gotta hope the guy you barely know other than from work doesn’t fall asleep and kill both of you.

Last edited:

Cowboy Mac

Not saying I agree with Dave Ramsey on everything but I think we all know a few people in brown that would benefit from him. The only thing this money is doing is accelerating my timeline. Monthly budgets are the same, increases in income only means more time shaved off our end goals.
Good for you for taking the initiative to work hard and make sacrifices for your future. Most guys get that top rate and see that as an opportunity to spend more. Guys making $120K a year and living paycheck to paycheck. These guys pretty much have to work 55+hours a week just to afford their lifestyle.

All I know is I work hard for my money, I want it to count for something. I want to walk out of here with dignity.

clean hairy

Long story short, I went from first day on preload to feeder and now sleeper team in a little over 4 year at the company. In that time I became a steward when I was a package car driver for various reason. Now I try to be as active as a sleeper team member can be ( it can be difficult when you are only at the hub for literally 3 hours a week ). I was always told about the mythical and mystical sleeper teams and what they do and what they get paid it you would think these people live in Fort Knox or something because they were nowhere to be found. I figured I can’t be the only one in that situation so I figured some transparency could do everybody some good.

To anyone that has any questions about anything please let me know.
If this was Ca, take home after all taxes around $1,200?

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Exactly, very few make that. Most that I speak to out of my building make 3k a week. Definitely great money. That $4600 is a cross country job. Or out to the Midwest, back to the coast repeatedly. One I just spoke to last week makes $3200-$3400 does where I am in northeast, to Houston, to cach, back to Houston, to somewhere in the northeast, back to Cach, to a building not far from cach, back home. That $4600 has to be a humper 5 day run. I get chills just thinking about how brutal that life must be. And that’s not even mentioning you gotta hope the guy you barely know other than from work doesn’t fall asleep and kill both of you.
That’s a grind…once in a while is ok but damn.