UPS Slip-sliding away

Rico

The thing that was never explained to me while I was at UPS was the obsession with stops/hour. But it seemed to me that UPS really made (makes) money when it delivers multiple packages to the same stop. Which, of course, takes longer.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
The thing that was never explained to me while I was at UPS was the obsession with stops/hour. But it seemed to me that UPS really made (makes) money when it delivers multiple packages to the same stop. Which, of course, takes longer.
SPORH is used to measure a work area.
Whether a work unit, a route, a supervisor area or a center, SPORH is an easy way to measure a person's responsibility.
SPORH tends to be rather static and if an area changes, the expected SPORH will change.
Planned day does take into account variations in packages, stops and miles driven.

Last edited:

Rico

For the last 5 years I was at UPS, my route was a University campus, with very few house calls. A typical day was about 85 stops and about 500 pieces. My Metro was always complaining how I was dragging his stops/hour numbers down.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
SPORH is used to measure a work area.
Whether a work unit, a route, a supervisor area or a center, SPORH is an easy way to measure a person's responsibility.
SPORH tends to be rather static and if an area changes, the expected SPORH will change.
Planned day does take into account
Hoax, routes are being cut every day in my building.Often my 'gravy' will be taken away and I will get the same number of stops from a different route that are two to three times further from the street than my Gravy and as result my SPORH drops( I stay out of drive ways and back ONLY when necessary. I refuse to put myself in a compromising situation) yet my expected SPORH stays the same.
I am very thankful for Telematics as I can prove I am doing nothing wrong

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
UPS Magic make up up the numbers guy

corey.jpg

corey.jpg

Catatonic

Nine Lives
For the last 5 years I was at UPS, my route was a University campus, with very few house calls. A typical day was about 85 stops and about 500 pieces. My Metro was always complaining how I was dragging his stops/hour numbers down.

​I guess that was his way of motivating you regardless of how misguided it was.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Hoax, routes are being cut every day in my building.Often my 'gravy' will be taken away and I will get the same number of stops from a different route that are two to three times further from the street than my Gravy and as result my SPORH drops( I stay out of drive ways and back ONLY when necessary. I refuse to put myself in a compromising situation) yet my expected SPORH stays the same.
I am very thankful for Telematics as I can prove I am doing nothing wrong

You are referring to one supervisor's expectations and management style.
His expectations may be unjustified and as Sober put forth, style is based on limitations.

SPORH is a tool. Whether it is used correctly is a different consideration.
​If a person thinks he is driving nails, everything looks like a hammer.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
The thing that was never explained to me while I was at UPS was the obsession with stops/hour. But it seemed to me that UPS really made (makes) money when it delivers multiple packages to the same stop.

That's the basic business truth behind Surepost.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!

More likely he's just a whiner. We have several TDP runs -- management has long been vocal about their disdain for these, since even though they routinely haul 2,000 or more packages (lots of envelopes), they bring the SPH numbers down. They had the same problem within the malls -- and attempted to rectify it by adding shelving to the vans and having each driver deliver residential. A 5-year-old could see the safety hazard in this...

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

More likely he's just a whiner. We have several TDP runs -- management has long been vocal about their disdain for these, since even though they routinely haul 2,000 or more packages (lots of envelopes), they bring the SPH numbers down. They had the same problem within the malls -- and attempted to rectify it by adding shelving to the vans and having each driver deliver residential. A 5-year-old could see the safety hazard in this...

I will never deliver resi out of one of those. I've driven back to the building to get a proper package car a few times even. That doesn't exactly help SPOH. Lol

Catatonic

Nine Lives

Not quite a bad as tractor-trailers making deliveries in residential areas.

I've seen that a few times and I was like WTF.

The first time, I assumed it was a moving company but they were unloading a riding lawnmower on a pallet.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Staples once e-mailed me a $30 off $100 coupon, so I used it online to purchase 24-packs of bottled water for $2 -- 50 cases for $70, with free shipping! It was delivered to my house on pallets via what I presume was a LTL service. And they substituted for Nestle Pure Life water... yuk, I'd rather drink tap water.

Not quite a bad as tractor-trailers making deliveries in residential areas.

I've seen that a few times and I was like WTF.

The first time, I assumed it was a moving company but they were unloading a riding lawnmower on a pallet.

RealPerson

Yes stink I can respond. Read the who;e article not just the headline.1.For the second quarter, UPS, the world's No. 1 package delivery company, said export shipments rose 5 percent, but because customers used more normal delivery services instead of express options, export revenue fell 3.4 percent. That means more packages if I am not mistaken.2. In the domestic market, daily package volume improved 1.9 percent from the same period last year as more customers shopped online. Total U.S. domestic revenue per piece was up 0.3 percent. 3For the quarter, UPS earned $1.07 billion, or $1.13 a share, in the second quarter, compared with $1.12 billion, or $1.15 a share a year before.NOT LOST 4Total revenue increased 1.2 percent to $13.51 billion. So lets recap. MORE packages for us to deliver, and UPS Earned 1.07 BILLION DOLLARs, and you want us to feel sorry. Yes the earned a little less, but pretty sure they are not that close to going bankrupt

Good Read!!!

Bizzob232

2nd generation UPSer
Yes stink I can respond. Read the who;e article not just the headline.1.For the second quarter, UPS, the world's No. 1 package delivery company, said export shipments rose 5 percent, but because customers used more normal delivery services instead of express options, export revenue fell 3.4 percent. That means more packages if I am not mistaken.2. In the domestic market, daily package volume improved 1.9 percent from the same period last year as more customers shopped online. Total U.S. domestic revenue per piece was up 0.3 percent. 3For the quarter, UPS earned $1.07 billion, or $1.13 a share, in the second quarter, compared with $1.12 billion, or $1.15 a share a year before.NOT LOST 4Total revenue increased 1.2 percent to $13.51 billion. So lets recap. MORE packages for us to deliver, and UPS Earned 1.07 BILLION DOLLARs, and you want us to feel sorry. Yes the earned a little less, but pretty sure they are not that close to going bankrupt

Close the thread, he said it all

smart girl

Yes Stink I will. I unlike you got out there and got involved for others. It is still a no and we made
History by standing up for ourselves.i even went to DC to get answers but no Hoffa or Hall to be
found . This TA is horrible for all. It is slow because Summer is always slow my 30 yrs here so
​they will profit off our backs but not pay us? Enough already

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Yes Stink I will. I unlike you got out there and got involved for others. It is still a no and we made
History by standing up for ourselves.i even went to DC to get answers but no Hoffa or Hall to be
found . This TA is horrible for all. It is slow because Summer is always slow my 30 yrs here so
​they will profit off our backs but not pay us? Enough already

​I did not realize you were Part-timer.