UPS: Smart Moves, Better Returns

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
UPS: Smart Moves, Better Returns - Seeking Alpha

With regards to the bottom line, the software that was launched a while ago and is still in its deployment phase is a result of heavy investment by the company. ORION helps UPS drivers find the fastest, most fuel-efficient route to get every package to a customer's door and saves millions of dollars in fuel.

The company saved 3 million gallons of fuel during its testing phase of the program from 2010-2012. For 2013, the expected savings is nearly 1.5 million gallons. Once the program is rolled out to every driver by 2017 it is going to save around $50 million by taking just one mile off each driver's daily route.

Rainman

Its all good.
UPS: Smart Moves, Better Returns - Seeking Alpha

With regards to the bottom line, the software that was launched a while ago and is still in its deployment phase is a result of heavy investment by the company. ORION helps UPS drivers find the fastest, most fuel-efficient route to get every package to a customer's door and saves millions of dollars in fuel.

The company saved 3 million gallons of fuel during its testing phase of the program from 2010-2012. For 2013, the expected savings is nearly 1.5 million gallons. Once the program is rolled out to every driver by 2017 it is going to save around $50 million by taking just one mile off each driver's daily route.
What about increased overtime costs, increased injuries from trying to dig for packages that should be skipped for later, increased crash costs for being on busy roadways at the wrong time of day, ect? Saving money on fuel is a smart thing to do but other costs need to be factored in as well.

CharleyHustle

What about increased overtime costs, increased injuries from trying to dig for packages that should be skipped for later, increased crash costs for being on busy roadways at the wrong time of day, ect? Saving money on fuel is a smart thing to do but other costs need to be factored in as well.

Are you a savant or just another Debbie Downer?

Rainman

Its all good.
We are already seeing these things happen in my building. Miles have dropped, certainly, but injuries and crashes have in some cases tripled. It is not just the usual "problem child" offenders, but different people across the board who normally do not have any issues. I E uses the mileage drop to justify more stops per car/ per hour, and in some cases we have routes running what 2-3 years ago would have been Christmas volume on a year round basis.we have what were 150 stop routes going put with 250 stops per day in the summer. Local management knows this isn't sustainable, but they have no choice in the matter. WAD or else, so they load us down. It may sound like a downer, bit this is what we are dealing with every day.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Quite frankly, I have seen the opposite.

I have done my route the way it should be done. Orion says I should drive 69 miles, I do it in 63. My Orion percentage is in the low 70%. I get talked to in the morning.

On the same list, I see drivers implementing Orion over 90% and they are driving 10 miles more than the Orion miles suggest.

This is a BS system that has too many errors to work on a daily basis. When UPS puts in a system then tells you not to run it during peak or snowstorms, you got a huge pile of garbage.

CharleyHustle

This is just seeing if rainman was a savant.

Money saved by cutting miles to me is just the ORION cover story. By cutting miles you drive down allowances and put more stops and pkgs per car. From what I understand, ORION gives time estimates throughout the day, if you can't keep up with it you will eventually run more miles. You then get drivers trying to go faster and faster to keep up with an standard that will allow them to put even more work per car. A very perilous situation, I'm glad I'm near the end and not at the beginning.

Rainman

Its all good.
This is just seeing if rainman was a savant.

Money saved by cutting miles to me is just the ORION cover story. By cutting miles you drive down allowances and put more stops and pkgs per car. From what I understand, ORION gives time estimates throughout the day, if you can't keep up with it you will eventually run more miles. You then get drivers trying to go faster and faster to keep up with an standard that will allow them to put even more work per car. A very perilous situation, I'm glad I'm near the end and not at the beginning.
Like standards, Orion is based on a perfect load and a perfect day. You may get one of those once or twice a year of lucky. Orion actually slows me down most of the time. And like you say, either you have to take shortcuts to speed up or you run more miles by breaking off and coming back. Like you, I'm near the end too. Good luck.

Packmule

So why not end 10:30 commits 30 miles out in the country where no one is home but the dogs and chickens? Also put scanners in the package cars so half your drivers aren't adding back 15 of those miles running misloads every night?