UPS spent more than $1.3M lobbying gov't in 1Q

tieguy

Banned
I just got this in the mail. It's not UPS's money that they are spending, it's mine. Though it's only mine they would spend, if I gave em some. That would feel kind of weird though, workinging hard, making money, and then giving some of that money right back to UPS. I don't think so. Besides, how do they know what my "best" political interests are?

attachment.php

how did you get it in the mail. thought these mailings only solicited full time management?

pretzel_man

They assume that you will believe that what is good for the company is good for you. We all know this is not necessarily true. The also assume that your best political interest is the same as theirs.
In the case of UPSPAC funneling money to fight for the right for FedEx employees to organize I happen to agree( and I am not going to debate this issue anymore), but I am not going to give them my hard earned money to do so. Our center alone spends way more just putting out fires, than I could afford to contribute to political causes. If they would just FIX the problems they would have more profit to spend on UPSPAC issues.

Of course the decision to contribute to UPSPAC is a personal one. I have given every year since the beginning and always at least for the suggested amount.

Certainly, I have more to gain or lose based on the company's performance.

However, the concept that what is good for the company is also good for the employees is not a new one.

Jim Casey said:

"An expanding business is the only way to provide opportunities for our people." - 1944

"Our company has grown because our people have grown, and our people have grown because our company has grown. And so it will be in the future..." - 1945

I agree with Jim. I strongly believe that discontent today is mostly because of lack of growth. Because we stopped growing and competition is more stiff, things have been much harder.

Hard times are still here, and its time to understand that the company is not the enemy.

P-Man

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Hard times are still here, and its time to understand that the company is not the enemy.

P-Man
You're right, about the company not being the enemy. The enemy has infiltrated the company, like a bad virus, and is slowly killing it, and will probably only leave the outside shell. In years to come, people will look and still see the company logo, but that's all that wil be left of Jim Casey's legacy. JMHO RIP Mr. Casey.

Of course the decision to contribute to UPSPAC is a personal one. I have given every year since the beginning and always at least for the suggested amount.

Certainly, I have more to gain or lose based on the company's performance.

However, the concept that what is good for the company is also good for the employees is not a new one.

Jim Casey said:

"An expanding business is the only way to provide opportunities for our people." - 1944

"Our company has grown because our people have grown, and our people have grown because our company has grown. And so it will be in the future..." - 1945

I agree with Jim. I strongly believe that discontent today is mostly because of lack of growth. Because we stopped growing and competition is more stiff, things have been much harder.

P-Man
I agree with what Mr. Casey said. The problem is that more profit is not the same thing as growth. I also agree with you that the discontent is mostly because of the lack of growth. As we all are well aware of, there are many reasons for the growth deficiency.

The company may not be the enemy but sometimes I have to fight really hard to convince myself of that. When it is the company that says CUT ROUTES, then most drivers add two hours a day to the time spent working and not being able to have the time with the family, someone is going to see that as a hostile act done by the enemy. After all, a friend wouldn't do that to you.
With the addition of DIAD, PAS, EDD, and all the new technology the company has decided that the time needed to deliver a package has gotten exponentially easier, when in actuality it has gotten only slightly easier. The time on the job has risen to a point that a driver has time to go home, take a shower, eat supper and go to bed if they are going to have any body healing rest to re-coop for the next day. This too is not something a buddy will not do to a friend on a daily basis. This is why so many feel that the company may well be our enemy.

pretzel_man

I agree with what Mr. Casey said. The problem is that more profit is not the same thing as growth. I also agree with you that the discontent is mostly because of the lack of growth. As we all are well aware of, there are many reasons for the growth deficiency.

The company may not be the enemy but sometimes I have to fight really hard to convince myself of that. When it is the company that says CUT ROUTES, then most drivers add two hours a day to the time spent working and not being able to have the time with the family, someone is going to see that as a hostile act done by the enemy. After all, a friend wouldn't do that to you.
With the addition of DIAD, PAS, EDD, and all the new technology the company has decided that the time needed to deliver a package has gotten exponentially easier, when in actuality it has gotten only slightly easier. The time on the job has risen to a point that a driver has time to go home, take a shower, eat supper and go to bed if they are going to have any body healing rest to re-coop for the next day. This too is not something a buddy will not do to a friend on a daily basis. This is why so many feel that the company may well be our enemy.

I agree with you on these points:

- As I've said before, adding stops to exising routes is the lazy manager's way of improving performance. I agree that there are much better and sustainable ways.

- Reduced cost (increasing profits) is not growth.

On the other hand, I think that the things the Public Affairs group does through UPSPAC do ultimately lead to growth.

Take a look at some of their initiatives through UPSers.com.

P-Man