UPS Stock

Our peak hires were the ones that were light and brought in the air. Worked 8-8.5 hours a day.... Of course they only has 6 hour plan days

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
We had seasonals that were out 12 hours a day and brought back 50, 60, 70 stops or more each day. It was crazy.
I saw guys getting help from 4-5 other drivers. Guys driving 50 miles for the day and maybe doing 100 stops when regular drivers were doing 250+.
Kind of shows that even with all the technology (EDD,PAS,ORION), a veteran driver is worth way more than a cheaper rookie.
And that's why we get paid the way we do !!!

Catatonic

Nine Lives
After the "big" drop, UPS is still trading at a P/E of 26 while maintaining a Yield of 2.60

A P/E of 26 is sustainable only as long as stocks remain the "best" place to invest.

A yield of 2.60 will eliminate UPS from many stock investing strategies.

I'm not adding UPS to more than my current ~5% of my portfolio.

xtelevisionset

Kind of shows that even with all the technology (EDD,PAS,ORION), a veteran driver is worth way more than a cheaper rookie.
And that's why we get paid the way we do !!!

Would have been nice if I had ORION when I first started, or GPS signal for that matter. I was running a satellite route and doing 190 miles on a heavy day which I cut down to about 170 by the end of it.

I'm quite proud of how I performed during peak as were my supervisors and the other veteran drivers in my center. Not all of the newbie drivers were hopeless, my friend who I finished my training with did well too.

Anyway, I'll be buying a quite a few shares while the stock is down.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Where did I you find that?
That is the unofficial guestimated amount UPS spent on OT for that day. And I believe the article stated around $250M in excess overtime. So over half of their stated unaccounted for OT occurred from 1 day, a day which never should have happened.

So the consequences to UPS for working the Friday after Thanksgiving were a 10% reduction in stock. This day did nothing to "ease" the holiday shipping.

brown metal coffin

That is the unofficial guestimated amount UPS spent on OT for that day. And I believe the article stated around $250M in excess overtime. So over half of their stated unaccounted for OT occurred from 1 day, a day which never should have happened.

So the consequences to UPS for working the Friday after Thanksgiving were a 10% reduction in stock. This day did nothing to "ease" the holiday shipping.

I will bet that working that Sunday before Christmas wasn't cheap either. Time and 1/2 and triple for anything over 8 hours. Got a feeling that was a few pennies also...

moreluck

golden ticket member
rec'd this from a retired district mgr.

Subject: From Jim Cramer - The Street..........................................................................................................
Oweeeee!

I've been taking some heat about the need to hold CEOs accountable. I have been taking heat for the analogies I make to the NFL.
I don't care. My critics can pound sand.
When I look at the truly horrendous numbers out of United Parcel Service (UPS - Get Report) today, when I read once again about how McDonald's (MCD - Get Report) knows it has problems and will address them with alacrity, I can't help but think, when is someone going to be held accountable for these kinds of subpar performances? And why do boards tolerate these mistakes and keep the CEOs of these two companies around for more earnings seasons?
Look, someone at UPS made a mistake selecting the chief operating officer, David Abney, to be CEO in 2014. As chief operating officer, he got a free pass last year for the holiday snafus that caused a huge downturn in the stock. But there can be no free pass for this year's errors. This company stated over and over again that it would not make the same expensive, stock-crushing gaffes when it came to this year's holiday season. It made good on its promise. It didn't make the same mistakes. It made worse mistakes. Hence, why it is down an astounding nine bucks in one session. This fine company deserves better. So do the shareholders.

O

OLDMAN3

So,
-We tried completely under-staffing last peak...didn't work so well.
-We tried staffing with inexperienced temporaries this peak...Fail.

Could we please try what worked for decades....
Maintain adequate staffing levels throughout the year with full time permanent drivers?
20 and 30 years ago after 8.5 hours of work 2/3 the drivers were punched out, except during peak.
Then at peak you can add helpers, but you would still have a larger core of permanent experienced drivers who get it done.

Of course in this age of chasing the expert's expectations for next quarter, we will do the opposite:
Run a skeleton crew throughout the year, using as many temporaries as possible. And then we will come into peak with a cobbled together inexperienced crew. Going public was a money grab that ruined a truly great company.

oldngray

nowhere special
So,
-We tried completely under-staffing last peak...didn't work so well.
-We tried staffing with inexperienced temporaries this peak...Fail.

Could we please try what worked for decades....
Maintain adequate staffing levels throughout the year with full time permanent drivers?
20 and 30 years ago after 8.5 hours of work 2/3 the drivers were punched out, except during peak.
Then at peak you can add helpers, but you would still have a larger core of permanent experienced drivers who get it done.

Of course in this age of chasing the expert's expectations for next quarter, we will do the opposite:
Run a skeleton crew throughout the year, using as many temporaries as possible. And then we will come into peak with a cobbled together inexperienced crew. Going public was a money grab that ruined a truly great company.

When you dispatch drivers with near peak hours all year there is no slack in the system for extra volume at Christmas.