UPS store issues...

FedUPSer9816

Full Service
I'll buy that for a dollar, NOT! I was at the UPS Store for my pick up. Customer comes in with a handful of documents to be shredded. The clerk directed him to the bin, but instructed him he has to pay for the service. Dude can't believe he has to pay, 1 whole dollar, and walks out. SMH.

PASinterference

Yes, I know I'm working late.
I have a UPS store pick up on my route. I like the owner a lot and most of the employees that work there. Well, when they're not on the internet that is. They constantly surf the web and wait till the last minute to process the packages and hold me up almost every day. But that not my major gripe.

Lately, when I go in to load up their stuff, I've noticed that the weights of the packages are WAY off. Like a huge 65 lb. package that has 10 lbs. on it. I've seen packages being naturally well over 70 lbs. and dimensionally overweight both still have like 15 lbs. on it.

They have a scale right there! They have no excuse. But they can't be bothered to get off the internet or their phones and weigh the stuff. And it's got their account number on the bar code-- not a drop off package. I've said "if you're going to put a weight on it anyway, why not put the right one on it?" That's when he gave me the lame excuse such as "why should I bother if we're not making any money on it" type of tripe. How lazy can you be?!

I don't know how UPS stores work when it comes to that stuff. I've complained about it on occasion, but one of the workers told me that weighing packages doesn't affect how much they charge. I'm like WTF? I didn't believe them, but that's the excuse they used.

It's not my goal to get anyone there in trouble, but I don't want to see me or anyone else down the line get hurt by improper weights being applied to the labels. I've told them about the safety concerns but the problem still persists. I'm contemplating talking to the owner if it doesn't get resolved soon.

I have to go there almost every day and don't really want to start some crap, but I want this resolved to my satisfaction.

Does anyone know how the UPS store would truly operate on this matter? Can I refuse to pick up these packages until they are properly weighed? I mean, seriously, their job is to weigh crap, right?!

Any help?
I know this thread is old as hell, but drivers are paid by the hour, not by the pound. Let ups worry about the ups store. Some people make things way harder than they have to be.

G.V. Rush

All Encompassing Member
I stopped worrying about this type of stuff. The lack of caring on managements end when I've brought these issues up before is the attitude I take now. I don't get paid by the weight, dimensions, or amount of packages I pick up. Wether the correct weights are on these packages or not doesn't effect my check one bit.
I agree. Guys take this job waaay too serious sometimes. Had a rookie driver whining to management about his loader loading hello fresh boxes on the floor where it gets too hot.
If they don’t care to get me off the clock at a reasonable time, then the only the thing I care about is my safety. Everything else if for the birds.

onewithedd

I used to have a guy at a bank who use to tape 4-6 toners together with one label on it I told him not to do it, as thats not how that returns service works. I then said would it be ok if I bounced 6 checks and you just bundle them in to one overdraft fee? He didn’t know what to reply other than “well…”. After that no more were taped together.

That was years ago! Now, because of UPS’ corporate greed, I could care less about weight inconsistencies!!

Siveriano

damn old post but this is what i do on a situation like this.

Ill show up 15 minutes before their schedule pickup time and wait 10 minutes after then ill just said that ill come back in 20 minutes but actually show up like 2 hours later, do this a couple of times and see how fast your puckups will have their packages ready for you from that time on.

quad decade guy

I have a UPS store pick up on my route. I like the owner a lot and most of the employees that work there. Well, when they're not on the internet that is. They constantly surf the web and wait till the last minute to process the packages and hold me up almost every day. But that not my major gripe.

Lately, when I go in to load up their stuff, I've noticed that the weights of the packages are WAY off. Like a huge 65 lb. package that has 10 lbs. on it. I've seen packages being naturally well over 70 lbs. and dimensionally overweight both still have like 15 lbs. on it.

They have a scale right there! They have no excuse. But they can't be bothered to get off the internet or their phones and weigh the stuff. And it's got their account number on the bar code-- not a drop off package. I've said "if you're going to put a weight on it anyway, why not put the right one on it?" That's when he gave me the lame excuse such as "why should I bother if we're not making any money on it" type of tripe. How lazy can you be?!

I don't know how UPS stores work when it comes to that stuff. I've complained about it on occasion, but one of the workers told me that weighing packages doesn't affect how much they charge. I'm like WTF? I didn't believe them, but that's the excuse they used.

It's not my goal to get anyone there in trouble, but I don't want to see me or anyone else down the line get hurt by improper weights being applied to the labels. I've told them about the safety concerns but the problem still persists. I'm contemplating talking to the owner if it doesn't get resolved soon.

I have to go there almost every day and don't really want to start some crap, but I want this resolved to my satisfaction.

Does anyone know how the UPS store would truly operate on this matter? Can I refuse to pick up these packages until they are properly weighed? I mean, seriously, their job is to weigh crap, right?!

Any help?
The only time I ever really looked at a pkg weight was when it seemed really heavy. Like over 150. Otherwise never gave it a second look. I have refused call tag pickups for box integrity and even regular pickups....like bowling balls rattling around inside a box full of peanuts.

If me, I'd set aside an example and show my center manager. Short of bumping it up the chain of command.....about all you can do.

MECH-lift

Union Brother ✊🧔 RPCD
Be nice if they actually put a little thought into these UPS store locations for a more efficient pickup. Every single store should have a dock located behind the building.
🧔✊

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
The only time I ever really looked at a pkg weight was when it seemed really heavy. Like over 150. Otherwise never gave it a second look. I have refused call tag pickups for box integrity and even regular pickups....like bowling balls rattling around inside a box full of peanuts.

If me, I'd set aside an example and show my center manager. Short of bumping it up the chain of command.....about all you can do.
Why would you have anything “like over 150” Einstein

MECH-lift

Union Brother ✊🧔 RPCD
Why would you have anything “like over 150” Einstein
BFEF5108-89B5-4950-9EEA-6A2A55C31AB6.jpeg

caught this bad boy 3 weeks ago , took 4 days of leaving it behind for anything to get done and it disappeared. I’m guessing one of the Saturday guys delivered it , LOL
🧔✊

tourists24

Be nice if they actually put a little thought into these UPS store locations for a more efficient pickup. Every single store should have a dock located behind the building.
🧔✊
true.... The UPS Store that I pick up doesn't even have an accessible back door. Everything goes out the front

TheBrownNote

Good thing I wore my brown pants
We have the customer come in and pick up any over 150 lb packages that slip through. There is a transmission that has been sitting there for well over a year.
As i understand it, once a package is scanned into a building/center, they are reponsible for delivering it. So anything 150 or over that is in system is the result of an inattentive unloader, or what ever that possition is. (Dont really know, nor do i know the process. Please forgive my ignorance. not throwing any shade)

However, Drivers are the ones mostly responsible for this, by not verify the overwieght labels upon pickup. Stop accepting this stuff at the source. You have that right. You also have the right to call for a bargaining unit to come and assist in any over 70lbs up to 150lbs, even at pickups, but you should be able to ask and recieve that over weight help at pick up locations.

As for UPS Stores, leave them till last and tell them youll have to wate for assistance from another driver to load them. Then, thats when you swnd a message through the diad, and wate. They'll start helping, when it starts taking an additional 30min+ before any help comes.

Also, demensional weight is a thing. This is where a package that takes up a high amount of space but is light will reflect an over label. You see this mostly with Amazon packages. Like a 55 gallon plastic garbage can in a cardboard box. It will oftn show 70lbs or more. This helps plan space in the truck.......allegedly.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
As i understand it, once a package is scanned into a building/center, they are reponsible for delivering it.

The contract says this....

"Packages over 150 pounds shall not be picked up. However, if such a package is discovered in the UPS system, the package shall not be handled by a bargaining unit employee unless such package can be reasonably broken down into packages which do not exceed 70 pounds."

However, Drivers are the ones mostly responsible for this,

Almost all of them come in on TDP loads.... that were loaded by the customer.