UPS Technical Support

T

tieguy

Devilsadvocate let me ask you a question. How well do you sell your accomplishments? I'm assuming your external TSG by your comments. The problem I've seen with people in your type of position is that they don't always sell what they accomplished. While a boss in this position should be more involved many don't know what your doing out there unless there is a problem or you give them good feedback on what issues you've dealt with and how you resolved them. What type of feedback do you give him? Don't be afraid to sell yourself. If you have a customer that is really appreciative of what you did for them, ask them to help your cause by giving your boss a quick call. If for instance you feel that your efforts generated additional volume then sell the message. Don't embelish but make sure your boss knows what you did and what type of response the customer gave you that you feel may generate the additional volume. I may have misread the message behind your post but from what you have said I think this may be something to consider.

U

upscorpis

ups_tech,

I'm assuming you're talking about UPS locations and not customer locations? Slow connections are still a reality. Bandwidth is not an indication of technical achievement. Quite the contrary, achieving more without bandwidth is more difficult. I know personally, I hate slow connections also. If you can cost justify upgrading a connection, I'm sure it would be done. Perhaps a talk with the local IE could be in order?

The people you hear bad mouthing technology because they don't understand it are not making any of the strategic decisions to move the company forward in IT. Don't automatically assume that a supervisor or manager in the district or region is privy to what is being considered. I can tell you they are not. I can tell you UPS is not just considering but doing things that you would find interesting. You also must keep in mind that what is good for some businesses is not necessarily good for UPS. UPS has much higher service levels to maintain in their customer facing systems than a lot of other businesses. In other applications, you see UPS forging new ground. It's just a matter of risk/reward.

I

internaltech

The main gripe here in our region (09) I hear from all our techs is the pay scale. There is no differentiation of pay based on the tech's skills and technical abilities. Everyone is basically payed the same amount wether you are the best tech in your entire district, or you are the laughing stock of the tsg group. And dont wait for praise or recongintion from your sup or manager, you will croak before that ever happens.

D

devilsadvocate

daisy.gif
Tieguy, I can appreciate in what youre suggesting, but I'm not the type of person to be blowing my own horn, especially every other day, like some other techs do. I do whatever humanly and ethically possible to win over business for UPS, I consider this as doing my job no if and or buts. There has been many, many times were I personally assisted our customers to process packages right after I have restored their system so they can make the pick up time. I'm not afraid of rolling up my sleeves and delve in the action, these are the type of things that no one notices and eventually found out about if the circumstance presents itself. I have mention situations like this to my manager and supervisor in the past and don't much matter to them, what really matters if the numbers aren't met. It amuses me to no end, on how sometimes meeting the numbers is more important than taking care of our customers. Without our customers we wouldnt amount to much.

T

tieguy

Understood . Blowing your horn when you work unsupervised is a necessity. I'm not telling you to sell your soul to the devil just sell yourself. ( no pun or confusion intended)

U

ups_tech

devilsadvocate -
The thing to keep in mind is that its always easier for those above you to get a bad impression than a good one. Chances seem to be that the CSIs that go out always find the most difficult of customers. You don't necessarily have to get yourself a group of cheerleaders, but you should at least keep a separate folder in your inbox for kudos.

tieguy-
If I can ask, how does management go about determaining a techs performance?

U

ups_tech_guy

While I can't stand the people who moan and groan constantly in the various boards on this site, I do have to give my two cents worth on this issue.

Devilsadvocate's and InternalTech's points are representative of the issues that are going on in my region. Most of our "highly skilled" techs are completely unmotivated to achieve results because we all know that we are paid the same as the "laughing stock". I currently develop web applications and my salary is about $25K below the local average wage for someone with my experience, abilities, and education. There are people out at the helpdesk who do less work and have far less responsibility than I do and their salary is the same as mine, if not more in some cases. It is difficult to do a good job when your work is neither recognized nor appreciated. Most of the skilled people in my department are waiting for the economy to improve so we can jump ship.

IMHO, one of the primary reasons that TSG salaries are so low when compared to the rest of the industry is that we are not our own department. We are actually a "function of IE". IE has always seemed to have the mentality that theyre the only department that provides value to the company. TSG is considered a cost since we do not generate money. However, I can name many applications that myself and my coworkers have written that have saved my region $$$$ each year. Many of these have a direct impact on the balanced scorecard iniatives. If UPS does not improve its pay scales and change its management mentality towards technical personnel, we stand to lose some very skilled people. Including myself...

S

sillygirl

I started on the desk in 1998 from a temp agency. My previous experience was windows 95/novell 4.1/token ring. Not a lot of experience. That is why I only made $20,000 at my previous position. UPS took a gamble on me because I think they saw my desire to learn. 5 years later, I have moved from the desk,to External, to Internal extended centers. (All of which require many responsibilites and talents! Try walking into a customer and connect worldship to an as400 system!)I have learned a great deal and have gotten several certifications and a post-bach in cis (all of which UPS paid for.)

I fear that I have reached a turning point. I am bored. I have learned so much about IS and I am still just a tech... Because the extended centers are so short staffed all the time, I have also learned many responsibilities of an OMS, On Car Sup and Driver.

I have gone above and beyond for many years and I do not feel any more rewarded than the kid that calls in fake logs to get closer to home when 3 pm hits...

I keep telling myself that I should keep going. The money doesn't really matter. My husband brings in a very nice salary. But I can't help but feel cheated and unmotivated. I find myself slipping and walking away from details that I wouldn't have walked away from a year ago.

I am in a very dark place and feel that maybe the only way to pull myself out is for a job change. It makes me very sad.

I have addressed my supervisor about my concerns and have not seen any improvement.

I really hope that something turns around soon.

U

upscorpis

UPS_Tech_Guy,

I currently develop web applications and my salary is about $25K below the local average wage for someone with my experience, abilities, and education.

What application server are you developing web apps for? If you are really doing such work, then you are in the wrong job. TSG is generally not meant to be a development organziation. I suggest if you have the skill set you're speaking of and want to get paid for it, you should look elsewhere or try to get into the IS organization. In the mean time, you're being paid for the skill set most TSG folks are required to have.

Having come from the district level and being around when TSG went under the IE umbrella, I can understand that it may not be a perfect match. On the other hand, developing browser based applications (which is most likely what you're doing) that save money is squarely in the wheelhouse of what IE is supposed to provide the districts. I used to do the same thing in Excel and Access when I was an IE guy (before the dawn of the web). I disagree that being under IE has anything to do with the salary. It has everything to do with the job description. If you can do better than the job description, it may get you noticed for the few promotional chances that appear but it doesn't change the job description. It may not seem fair but that's the reality. I don't disagree that UPS may lose good TSG folks as a result but if you've outgrown the job, it's really best for all that you and others like you move on to greener pastures. Having UPS on your resume sure ain't gonna hurt.

Good luck.

U

ups_tech_guy

upscorpis,

I agree with a lot of what you say. My coworkers and I all came to the realization a long time ago that we are basically cheap dates for the company.

Corporate IE is currently consolidating all of the region web development groups because they have realized the obvious. Why create the same application nine times when you can create it once, host it in Windward or Mahwah and deploy it across the entire organization...

Region development groups have always been able to crank apps out quicker than corp because we don't have to deal with near the red-tape that is prevalent in NJ. Developers receive a higher salary in corporate IS and they get MIP too. Region developers only make _slightly_ more than a TSG senior technician. It only makes business sense that IE would want to exploit these facts.

My job description is to create "static web pages". I can honestly count the number of static web pages that I have created in the past two years on one hand and have fingers to spare. Every single one of my assignments is a dynamic web app and believe me, they are not simple small little reporting applications either. Now that we're being absorbed into corporate IE, I see more responsibilities with the relatively the same pay. If a region developer creates enterprise applications, should they not be paid the same as someone in NJ creating enterprise applications?

Would you honestly be happy developing region/enterprise applications for $45k per year for an organization of our size? I would venture to say no... You are right though, UPS does look good on a resume.

Enought complaining though. I can't stand whiners and that is what I have been doing. Truth is that I have worked for this company for my entire career, and I really would like to stay. Unfortunately, when you do not work close to NJ or Atlanta, there are not a lot of advancement opportunities available in IT.

Please don't view this as an attack or take this personally. I'm just venting... ;-)

U

upscorpis

sillygirl,

Your feelings are exactly why I say it's best for both that folks move on when they out grow the position. UPS assisted your growth to keep you motivated. Now that you've developed your skills, it's perfectly acceptable to move on to a job you're for which you're now qualified. I understand that you want to be able to make it work with UPS. Unfortunately, there's just not a lot of opportunities to continue to move up. UPS is fully aware of the chance that you and others that take advantage of the training UPS provides will outgrow the job. It's one of the reasons that Technicians aren't MIP eligible - there's an expectation of turnover.

Good luck.

U

ups_tech

I think there is a lot to be lost by allowing technicians, especially external ones, to "outgrow" UPS. These are exactly the kind of people UPS needs to grow towards the all-in-one logistics company it wants to become. There will always be those techs that have the knowledge to do the job and those that have the talent to do so much more. I think one could easily argue that talent would always make more money than it costs, even at twice the current pay scale. Integrating our systems with those of our customers require a healthy technical knowledge not only to implement, but the sell the customer on the integration. These integrations increase customer productivity and loyalty. These are things our competitors cannot or will not do these things, so the customers come to us.Most entry level techs out there, the other face of turnover, do little in helping UPS win these integrations. I'm not saying ETSG should make $250K a year, but allowing our talent to out grow us is penny wise, pound foolish.

D

devilsadvocate

enough.gif
ups tech, I agree with you, but with one exception. You stated "These are things our competitors cannot or will not do these things, so the customers come to us" fedex does and will continue to do so, possibly even with better solutions than what we have to offer, along with other carriers joining in. Competition will never rollover and play dead. I think as soon as the economy improves, we will see a big exodus from the hourly technicians. Ups never have, and never will pay this group what theyre worth. Because management considers them as a cost, that takes away from their MIP, low salary = more MIP. Management also fails to recognize these folks for what they bring to the table especially the talented ones. The dead wood will always remain, because they would never make it in the real world. I guess what irks me, is knowing that the dead wood get paid the same amount that I earn and I get to play the team player and do their work when they dont know how to do their own.

S

smf0605

devilsadvocate ... whaaaaaa.... whaaaa ... whaaaa .. whaaaaaaaa ... whaaaaaaa

D

devilsadvocate

Smf0605,
stupid.gif
Have you considered; possibly going back to school, of course Im sticking my neck out for assuming that you have gone to school in the past. I understand that ups offer a great education reimbursement plan. Again Im assuming you are employed.
Oh and what are you trying to say?

U

upscorpis

UPS_Tech_Guy,

I'm sure the cheap date thing is a matter of perspective. I know folks that started as clerks, took a few classes on UPS, moved into TSG, continued to educate themselves on the company, and have evolved into something they never thought about when they first started at UPS. Those folks don't feel like cheap dates.

As far as the slugs (my old operation experience is showing), I suggest that you don't focus on them. They have no future. You do. It may not be with UPS but from what you say, you can move forward in the business. I understand you'd like it to be with UPS and that's probably the root of your dissatisfaction. Worry about you and what you can do. Stay positive and it will serve you much better than wallowing in negativity. When the time comes that you do work on a large software project, staying positive will make a difference when faced with tough circumstances. FYI, there are IS campuses outside of North NJ in Atlanta, Baltimore, and in Louisville. BTW, don't worry, I don't think you're in attack mode.

Good luck.

U

upscorpis

devilsadvocate,

I find it odd that you sit back and take this injustice. Why not peddle your wares elsewhere? If the market is what you say it is, it should be no problem to do better.

U

upscorpis

ups_tech,

Not long ago, turnover became an issue in corporate IS. The salarys had fallen well behind the market. Of course, that was during the peak of the IT bubble. The company responded by realizing that this was a specialized skill and benchmarked all IS salaries with the industry. This was well received and turnover has slowed to a crawl as a result, especially in this job market.

Now that the market is not as hot, I hear a lot of complaints about the small salary increases the last few years. Everyone wanted to see market salaries 3-5 years ago and now they complain. But still, turnover is very low, indicating the tight market.

What does this mean to you? If turnover becomes an issue, the company will react. Otherwise, things will stay the same. You cannot blame the company for trying to keep costs down. Until it hurts, UPS will hold the line. That's just the stark reality of today's business world.

Good luck.

J

jackvette

There are still some (not lots) of IT positions available at UPS. The entire market has slowed.

There was even a web developer job....

People need to keep in mind that the requirements for the MIP IS job is higher than the tech job in the district. Generally a Comp Sci degree is required with professional experience.

As far as the region developers go, combining them is a good thing. Do you know that there are more people in the districts developing pages than there are in corporate developing DIAD, ODS, and DPS combined?

S

smf0605

devilsadvocate ... Oh and what are you trying to say?

I am trying to say .. stop whining .. is that a little clearer for you?