UPS terminology

samiam

I wish, there for I am?
"Salt" is a box that the supe puts on a belt or a truck that does not belong to see if the sorter, loader, driver, ect. catches it. It is a 'you friend'ed up and didn't find that box' box. It is a way to see if you are reading the lables as the box goes through the system. If you miss it they give you crap, make you feel bad, then write you up for it. THEY ADD SALT TO A WOUND. JMO

Last edited:

Pickles

Sorry, I should be more clear. I know what they are. Just want to know how they came up with it. It's funny to hear new people call them "assaults".

satellitedriver

Why is a "salt" called a salt?

I understand "feeder" but think it's dumb.
It is an archaic term, from the gold mining days.
One would sprinkle gold dust or actually shoot the walls of a worthless mine with a shotgun loaded with tiny gold nuggets. Then, sell the rights to the mine to an unsuspecting greenhorn.
It was called salting because you just sprinkled it around like salt and the greenhorn would take the bait.
salting= deception

PAX

over9five

Staff member
"salting= deception"

Are you suggesting that our highly ethical management team engages in deceptive tactics????

DS

Fenderbender
SALT = Service Awareness Label Training
upscorpis...I believe this is the true reason ups calls it thus.
My question is,if you find a pkg in your load that does not belong,what idiot would'nt scan it?Theres several other non delivery reasons to key it in,plus its a free stop!I like the gold mine analogy though.

satellitedriver

upscorpis...I believe this is the true reason ups calls it thus.
My question is,if you find a pkg in your load that does not belong,what idiot would'nt scan it?Theres several other non delivery reasons to key it in,plus its a free stop!I like the gold mine analogy though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by upscorpis
SALT = Service Awareness Label Training

You are right DS, but it is not only an acronym, it is also an apronym.
The double-enterdre caught my eye first.
PAX

Pickles

Feeder just means you're feeding packages from one hub to another. Correct? It's just difficult to try to explain to non upsers that it just mean semi driver pretty much.

diesel96

Feeder just means you're feeding packages from one hub to another. Correct? It's just difficult to try to explain to non upsers that it just mean semi driver pretty much.

I drive with a "semi" listening to the Playboy Channel (Sirius Sat.) driving trailers from hub to hub.:tongue_sm

satellitedriver

you say tomato I say tomato doesnt quite have the same ring when typed does it
Why do they grill a "toe-may-toe", I am from Texas and thats the way we say it, on a proper English breakfast? I loved the beans, mushrooms, eggs, bacon, toast, but not the way they treat a "toe-may-toe".
It is a fruit, warming one side of a slice does not inhance the flavor, IMHO.
PAX

The-UK-Guy

Tea anyone ?
I belive its because the tomato doesnt have much flavour of its own , so if you fry it up with the left over greece from the mushrooms black pudding eggs bacon bangers bread and beans it gets a unique greecey taste. I think we eat them for breakfast because every wanna be gardner in england grows tomatoes ( they grow easily in the uk) and you can only eat so many cheese and tomato sarnys (sandwitches) so as not to waste them we have incorporated them into our full English Breakfast . Well thats my theory anyway. They do go good with the bacon at least.