UPS to deploy RFIDs through 100 facilities this year

worldwide

It will be interesting to see how this impacts negotiations.

"“Automation is critically important to deliver service for our customers as well as drive productivity,” Tomé said. “Of the automation activities we have underway, be it automated label application or automated bagging or robotic sort induction, it’s a headcount opportunity this year alone of 1,200 people inside our buildings and that’s going to double next year and continue to take off.”"

trickpony1

Will the next step be chips inserted under our skin so they can track our every move?
They can say it's a "condition of employment" and the union won't do ______.

Does anyone see what's coming?

Shift Inhibit

He who laughs last didn't get it.
Will the next step be chips inserted under our skin so they can track our every move?
They can say it's a "condition of employment" and the union won't do ______.

Does anyone see what's coming?
They made us get new ID cards few weeks ago. Has a barcode in top (like a small cc strip) that we have to scan at computer in guard shack and certain parts of building. It time stamps everything.

Shift Inhibit

And you get paid for that
We thought about this. It time stamps you when u go thru shack . We should be getting paid. Union says no, ups can do this apparently. Doesn’t really affect drivers much . But I’d be pissed if I worked in building and you have to swipe card everywhere . Big brother !

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
It will be interesting to see how this impacts negotiations.

"“Automation is critically important to deliver service for our customers as well as drive productivity,” Tomé said. “Of the automation activities we have underway, be it automated label application or automated bagging or robotic sort induction, it’s a headcount opportunity this year alone of 1,200 people inside our buildings and that’s going to double next year and continue to take off.”"

Lol, avoid all missorts. How? Sups will rush the loaders.

We thought about this. It time stamps you when u go thru shack . We should be getting paid. Union says no, ups can do this apparently. Doesn’t really affect drivers much . But I’d be pissed if I worked in building and you have to swipe card everywhere . Big brother !
No you're incorrect these scanners are in place because of a lawsuit.

You do get extra money for those believe me or not I don't care

Shift Inhibit

You did to pay attention son.

Theoneandonly24

We just got new IVISs at meanj with built in scanners. Next contract there will be hybrid feeder drivers. Instead of waiting in your tractor for the load to be ready you’ll be in the trailer scanning packages. Must-save-money.

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
We just got new IVISs at meanj with built in scanners. Next contract there will be hybrid feeder drivers. Instead of waiting in your tractor for the load to be ready you’ll be in the trailer scanning packages. Must-save-money.
We have had those for a year. If they expect me to be a loader again and drive the truck, I’ll take the starting PT wage ($15.00) on TOP of my driver rate. $55 an hour straight time, $82.5 OT, then we will talk.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
it's just a straight replacement for Preload Smart Scan, and not really that impressive at that; to my knowledge it shouldn't affect current staffing or production at all (maybe they claim its slightly faster, probably isn't) but the point is to open the door to RFID

RFID will be the next big thing, once we figure out the least painful way of getting a tag on every package in our system

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
They made us get new ID cards few weeks ago. Has a barcode in top (like a small cc strip) that we have to scan at computer in guard shack and certain parts of building. It time stamps everything.
air hubs have this, as well as the newer buildings

obviously a 15-car center out in Nowhere, PA where turkeys wander through the bay doors won't have to worry about this