UPS to deploy RFIDs through 100 facilities this year

Shift Inhibit

He who laughs last didn't get it.
it's just a straight replacement for Preload Smart Scan, and not really that impressive at that; to my knowledge it shouldn't affect current staffing or production at all (maybe they claim its slightly faster, probably isn't) but the point is to open the door to RFID

RFID will be the next big thing, once we figure out the least painful way of getting a tag on every package in our system
IT guy at my building says it cost $0.04 per chip per package. And right now only for high value /claim /medical type boxes . Preload doesn’t wrap up any sooner but they don’t have scanners anymore

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
air hubs have this, as well as the newer buildings

obviously a 15-car center out in Nowhere, PA where turkeys wander through the bay doors won't have to worry about this
You mean to tell me there are still places out there getting turkeys??!

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
IT guy at my building says it cost $0.04 per chip per package. And right now only for high value /claim /medical type boxes . Preload doesn’t wrap up any sooner but they don’t have scanners anymore
the HV/medical stuff is sorta different, they actually have the RFID in the label and they can be tracked through hubs as well through sensors placed above the PD's and other belts

the preload bit just replaces the existing imagers worn on the hand and the terminal on the belt just picks up the RFID, adds it to an electronic queue, then associates it (or not) with the car walked into; i may be slightly off on some of these details i haven't seen it in person yet i was just briefed during the alpha trials

Trucker Clock

We just got new IVISs at meanj with built in scanners. Next contract there will be hybrid feeder drivers. Instead of waiting in your tractor for the load to be ready you’ll be in the trailer scanning packages. Must-save-money.

The scanners are to eventually scan the barcodes on the trailers. You’ll notice that there are barcodes on the front of every trailer.

Swanson

Henry Swanson's my name, and excitement's my game.
They made us get new ID cards few weeks ago. Has a barcode in top (like a small cc strip) that we have to scan at computer in guard shack and certain parts of building. It time stamps everything.
My id has always had that.I scan twice and get paid going through security.

Steamer

UPS wants to track every penny. Soon they will have us swallow RFID pills. So they can track how much time we spend taking a dump.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Suit monkeys will start saying " don't scan that alleged off route, it was already scanned".

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I've been kicking around ideas that include improving visual cues so that misloads are more obvious. When things get really heavy, higher cognitive functions get bogged down so it's easier for numbers and letter combinations to jumble in your brain. I like the idea of color coding, but they have trouble keeping the black ink printers working.

So maybe some sort of pattern specific to each route that is easy to recognize without having to waste much brain power. Still need to develop the idea further, but I think this is a better solution. Writing on packages and extra scanning just add to the amount of time it takes to handle each package, which should be the opposite of what you're going for. Print-on RFID chips and readers that automatically detect misloads would be a better technological solution.

I understand that these things are generally above your pay grade, but I didn't spend a lot of time on preload, so I'll leave the more practical suggestions to others.

Dude you’re over thing this. This isn’t NASA

BeachBoy

You guys are overthinking this. Package goes in the wrong trailer, rfid tells the loader.
Same with the package car.
It should cut down on misloads.

Johney

You guys are overthinking this. Package goes in the wrong trailer, rfid tells the loader.
Same with the package car.
It should cut down on misloads.
They had some kind of gizmo on the back shelf of the package cars a few years ago that told the loader it was in the wrong car. From I remember it didn't work too well.

PPH_over_9000

They rolled out the new RFID labels in my center earlier this year (at least I think, they've changed the methods for sure and there's new tech in the trucks, the loaders don't have scanners anymore, etc etc)... it's uhhh... it's not the worst, I guess...

The only problem is that the sort gets out-of-sync and next thing you know 100s of packages are loaded onto the wrong cars, and the new scanner things that the supes use don't register a misload because it has a label matching the truck that the package is in-- only problem is that the label doesn't match the package.

Then you come in the next day and are told you have to peel the labels of out-of-sync packages (right after you deliver them, of course) and stick them onto this special piece of paper to hand in at the end of the day, which goes to the preload manager so they "can figure out where the system's failing."

If they can figure out how to get the right labels on the right packages then it'll be gravy. I don't think they will, though.

finaddict

The scanners are to eventually scan the barcodes on the trailers. You’ll notice that there are barcodes on the front of every trailer.
You can scan them now. BUT you'll notice on the bar code there is an extra digit. trailer 321123 will have another smaller digit off to the right. Say its a two. It will scan as UPST321123 2 and will not inbound or outbound correctly. You could edit it and delete but its just as easy to input the number at this point.