UPS to freeze pension plans for nonunion staffers

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
UPS to freeze pension plans for nonunion staffers - Fox Business

United Parcel Service is planning to freeze pension plans for thousands of nonunion employees, seeking to contain the burden of a retirement fund with a nearly $10 billion deficit.

The carrier is expected to announce measures to corral the rising pension obligations to its workforce Wednesday, people familiar with the matter said. Other details couldn't be learned.

UPS has more than 434,000 workers world-wide, with more than 80% in the U.S. Most of them are unionized. Any retirement-plan changes would apply only to management employees, who number 78,000.

oldngray

nowhere special
meh.ro3567.jpg

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Got yours, so friend* em. Lol
I warned everybody that would listen for the last ten years before I left.
A few left and I hope the rest maxed out their 401k contribution.
I was contributing the max the last 15 years and 6 -10 % from the get go.
UPS introduced the 401k in about 1990 with a warning about pension.

MAKAVELI

I warned everybody that would listen for the last ten years before I left.
A few left and I hope the rest maxed out their 401k contribution.
I was contributing the max the last 15 years and 6 -10 % from the get go.
UPS introduced the 401k in about 1990 with a warning about pension.
The problem with a 401k is it's not enough to retire on by itself. And all those pre tax contributions will be taxed when withdrawn, most likely at a higher rate.

UPS to freeze pension plans for nonunion staffers - Fox Business

United Parcel Service is planning to freeze pension plans for thousands of nonunion employees, seeking to contain the burden of a retirement fund with a nearly $10 billion deficit.

The carrier is expected to announce measures to corral the rising pension obligations to its workforce Wednesday, people familiar with the matter said. Other details couldn't be learned.

UPS has more than 434,000 workers world-wide, with more than 80% in the U.S. Most of them are unionized. Any retirement-plan changes would apply only to management employees, who number 78,000.
One supervisor for every 6 employees?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
The problem with a 401k is it's not enough to retire on by itself.
And all those pre tax contributions will be taxed when withdrawn, most likely at a higher rate.
I could retire on my 401k holdings.
Live within your means and contribute the max.
Worked for me.

Looks like the tax reform will reduce that marginal tax rate.

Note: I have not touched my 401k or my outside investments which are much more than my 401k.

MAKAVELI

I could retire on my 401k holdings.
Live within your means and contribute the max.
Worked for me.

Looks like the tax reform will reduce that marginal tax rate.

Note: I have not touched my 401k or my outside investments which are much more than my 401k.
You also have a pension.