UPS to freeze pension plans for nonunion staffers

Catatonic

Nine Lives
You still lose the potential growth during the time it takes to rebound. Like I said both are a risk, but taking away that pension is still going to hurt and lose a lot of security when it comes time to retire.
Tell that to @Jones ... he thinks Obama was great because the market rebounded from the March 2009 low.
It took 5 years to get back to where it was in June 2008.
But luckily for us all, Trump is in there now.

MAKAVELI

Tell that to @Jones ... he thinks Obama was great because the market rebounded from the March 2009 low.
It took 4 years to get back to where it was in June 2008.
But luckily for us all, Trump is in there now.
I don't blame Obama for the rebound but I do blame Bush for the Recession that wiped out $billions of 401k savings.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
You still lose the potential growth during the time it takes to rebound. Like I said both are a risk, but taking away that pension is still going to hurt and lose a lot of security when it comes time to retire.
I know several UPSers who had over a million in their 401k when they retired and we couldn't even contribute until 1990.
For me, that was 20 years with NO contributions.
Imagine what I would have if I could have contributed when I was in my early 20's.

Turdferguson

Just a turd
You sold the current retiree's out ... what makes you think these @Barneys will not sell you out?
Whatever.....

I didn't sell anyone out. Plus I have been in the 401k since about about 95, plus weekly stock contributions and if it gets too bad there is always welfare and food stamps so that you have to pay for me.
IN YOUR FACE!!!!!

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
should be an eye opener to hourlies that want that dollar raise every year.

take less upfront to secure a better retirement. you'll be there before you know it and have to depend on hourlies to keep your pension strong.

scary now that i am retired.

fortunately , I maxed out the 401k every year and since my spouse did not work and we made less than the IRA threshold I was able to max out our IRA's too.

don't ever depend on one source of retirement income. pay off house, max 401k and IRA's if you can , pay off cars and all other debt and save, save, save cash.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

take less upfront to secure a better retirement. you'll be there before you know it and have to depend on hourlies to keep your pension strong.

fortunately , I maxed out the 401k every year and since my spouse did not work and we made less than the IRA threshold I was able to max out our IRA's too.

don't ever depend on one source of retirement income. pay off house, max 401k and IRA's if you can , pay off cars and all other debt and save, save, save cash.

Thank you Suze Orman

Guess what. Our pension plan is in bad shape. Give me my dollar raise to put in my 401k