UPS to pay $25 million for false delivery claims

Stopher

I know the guy in the pic. Great great person. Actually got robbed of his circle of honor patch cause some stupid bi@ch backed into his truck while he was making a del. he was like 2 weeks out from getting 25 years safe driving.

TUT

Haven't read the rest of the thread yet, but my counter would be "ok Gov't and there goes your crazy huge discount" and I'm talking approaching 90%, the feds gets unheard of carrier discounts. That 25 million will be made up quickly.

That said, I wouldn't doubt there is some fault here, but in any sane measure, a private company, that would be killing the golden goose, rates.

Also with such large contracts waiving money back guarantees are common, I can see the point beyond that. I wonder if the future has the big 2 lax'ing up on the "Guarantee" part of it and move to no guarantees and "Likely to be there by..." times. In some regards I wouldn't blame them.

TUT

It sounds like UPS would have continued to get away with it if it weren't for Robert Fulk, who was a UPS employee. Under the whistle blower act he gets paid for ratting out his own company. Get money any way you can I guess. I always wondered what happens to those customers who's air was delayed due to a late plane. Do they automatically get reimbursed or do they have to call in to claim their money? If it's not an automatic reimbursement I can bet there's plenty of customers who, just like the government in this story, get their NDA packages after 10:30am or a day late and the premium price is not reimbursed because they didn't report it.

I can assure you it is not automatic. :)

You call a person reporting wrong doing a rat, some call it checks and balances or stopping illegal behavior. If he's right he's right, if he's wrong after the review nothing happens. Without this avenue things will get worse, right now they are trying to squash more whistle-blower rights in congress, no one likes to be checked. So they talk out of both sides of their mouths yet again.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
UPS will never learn. They just paid $25M for false delivery claims and are still at it.

Had a whole cart load of packages that would not fit on the trailer. Instead of going into another trailer. I heard the sup say to send them to rewrap.

This means they are going to sheet 50 packages as open/damaged/rewrap to avoid paying for service failures.

OPTION3

UPS will never learn. They just paid $25M for false delivery claims and are still at it.

Had a whole cart load of packages that would not fit on the trailer. Instead of going into another trailer. I heard the sup say to send them to rewrap.

This means they are going to sheet 50 packages as open/damaged/rewrap to avoid paying for service failures.
......while management calls all hourly employees liars and thieves.....ironic isn't it?

upschuck

Does that avoid paying for lates, or does that just take the "blame" off of them. If that were me, I'd complain bitterly if I still had to pay.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Does that avoid paying for lates, or does that just take the "blame" off of them. If that were me, I'd complain bitterly if I still had to pay.

That is an excuse to not have to pay. They tell the shipper that their package was delayed because of improper packaging. Guarantee viod.

OPTION3

I once had a good customer tell me,"it would be easier to extract an infected wisdom tooth from a nine hundred pound gorilla with no Novocain......than to to get a refund from UPS!"......they soon took their business elsewhere

upschuck

I once had a good customer tell me,"it would be easier to extract an infected wisdom tooth from a nine hundred pound gorilla with no Novocain......than to to get a refund from UPS!"......they soon took their business elsewhere
I've not had any trouble, even past the time limit. Field suppot is your friend

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

During our PCM yesterday our center manager told us that we are to address correct any NDA that is being delivered to a new address and to not deliver any NDA to someone that you meet on-road, regardless of whether they show you proper ID or not. The address correcting and meet on-road were brought up because the system will automatically generate a refund if the package is not delivered as addressed based solely on GPS.

We had a major plumbing supplier (friend W Webb) relocate and thought that we were doing the right thing by forwarding any packages with the old address to their new location without doing an ADC on them. The driver on that route has now been directed to do an ADC on any and all packages with the old address, which can be a real pain when you are in the middle of getting rid of your air.

The meet on-road was brought up as we had a driver deliver a NDA to a customer that he had met on road, which is the right thing to do service wise but I guess the wrong thing to do as far as billing goes.

This company seems hell bent to make what is basically a simple job much more complicated than it needs to be.

oldngray

nowhere special
I had customers that knew my route and where my firsts stops in the morning would be. They would meet me to get their packages as early as possible. A win/win for both UPS and the customer since I got rid of a stop without going out of my way and the customer was happy. I guess with the new UPS looking good on a report is more important.

Johney

I find it very hard to believe UPS would issue ANY refund automatically. I'm not saying they didn't tell you that Dave, but come on do you really believe that?