UPS Tracking

O

over70lbpkg

I'm new to this board so please forgive me if I ask questions that are redundant. Can anyone tell me why you have to "accept" UPS terms to track your packages. I think about a month ago this new screen popped up on the UPS tracking screen and you must accept the "terms and conditions". I haven't seen this on the Airborne or FedEx site. In the web day and age of making things simpler on the web, why make your customers click another box. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Thanks.

T

tieguy

There are commercial enterprises out there who make a living off of UPS's mistakes. The track a customers packages all day, find the late deliveries and apply for the refunds. They then collect a percentage of the refunds. The agreement says that our tracking software is for our customers use only not third party commercial sites. You can expect Fedex and airborne to follow suit.

O

over70lbpkg

Tieguy,

Thanks for the info. I have heard of companies that track your packages for you. I wonder how busy these companies are? As good as UPS is, there probably isn't many late deliveries.

K

kidlogic

The other thing is the cost. It cost 4 cents per every package tracked. Why should UPS pay to track packages that are being delivered on time and that the customer is not tracking because there is a problem.

J

jcroche

Posted by over70lbpkg on Sunday, November 17, 2002 - 11:54 am:

"...As good as UPS is, there probably isn't many late deliveries".

>70:

What type of operation are you in?

jcr

O

over70lbpkg

jcr,

Years ago, I worked as a preloader. Currently, I am with an "office solutions" company.

I did a search on yahoo and found a few of these "tracking companies". How long have these companies been around?

J

jcroche

>70:

The reason I asked, is because of your screen name, "over70lbpkg".

I am now retired, but my entire career was Hub & Feeders, working mostly nights. Every morning, as I exited the building, I would see the PLIB's from the night sort stacked on irreg carts. Do you know what made up the majority of these packages? That's right - "over 70 pound packages". These are high-revenue packages that should be made a priority service item in all our hubs. Too often, they come out of the primary too late to make the pull times, and are left for the following day. If UPS is paying guarantees on these packages, then there is a lot of work that needs to be done.
This is one of my pet peeves.

(I hope you're happy - you've just raised my blood-pressure level over my allowed limits!
biggrin.gif
)

jcr