UPS Truck Hits House after Driver falls out. Rumor or fact?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
A friend of mine in Washington said the local news reported that a UPS truck recently "ran away" and hit a house after the unbelted driver fell-out his door while reaching across the cab. Is this for real or an urban legend? It sounds like something that one of our Ground drivers would do, probably trying to retrieve his crack pipe after it fell on the floor. Fortunately, the driver wasn't killed.

If true, I'm guessing UPS isn't happy about this.

klein

Für Meno :)
Falling off the truck before going offroad ? Wow !!!
He might as well join me in the unemployment line !

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If the "medical emergency" part is true, I'm guessing he still has his job. Or is that just "spin" to cover-up what really happened? Thanks for the links.

If it indeed was a medical emergency he will still have his job. If he did not have his seat belt on and fell out of the pkg car for whatever reason he is gone.

jimstud

Banned
If it indeed was a medical emergency he will still have his job. If he did not have his seat belt on and fell out of the pkg car for whatever reason he is gone.

not true , even if it was not a medical emergency he will still get his job back. unlike some people the rest of us do make mistakes. as long as he does not have a history of not wearing his seat belt he will be back.

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
Very unusual accident. Resi streets looks open and flat. If the truck "ran away" and driver fell out his door (probably reaching for the keys?) I'm hoping he didn't leave his truck running.

Matthew

not true , even if it was not a medical emergency he will still get his job back. unlike some people the rest of us do make mistakes. as long as he does not have a history of not wearing his seat belt he will be back.
I thought roll away accidents were instant grounds for getting fired. hmmm

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
The driver is probably going to get fired.

It happened out of the Swan Island building in Portland. He had packages in the cab, the BH door open, a list of NDA stops taped to the windshield, and he wasn't wearing his seatbelt.

I'm not quite sure how it all happened, but the fact is that he was violating not one but several basic safety procedures when he lost control of the vehicle.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
We had a driver fall out last year, he almost died. He allegedly was following too close, hit brakes and swerved into the next lane where he hit a different vehicle. He fell out of the cab and the package car went off the road into a yard and came to a stop after getting stuck in some mud. Our driver claimed he was wearing a seatbelt, but the district safety dept came out and tested it and there were no problems with it. The driver had severe internal injuries and was in ICU a long time. He has not come back.

rod

Retired 22 years
Back in the 70's, before seatbelts were installed , I had a couple of close calls in my P400. Sure gets your attention. Hanging on to the steering wheel while leaning half way out the door gives you a real thrill ride.:happy2:

Big Babooba

He had packages in the cab, the BH door open, a list of NDA stops taped to the windshield, and he wasn't wearing his seat belt.
One word - TELEMATICS.

"a list of NDA stops taped to the windshield,"
If your center is on PAS, Your NDA stops are listed in your EDD. Just press the "Commitment" key.

NHDRVR

We have had numerous roll aways and I know one driver specifically who fell out of his pkg. car, driver side obviously, after he started it up and began to roll. To say he soiled himself in an understatement. He is still employed...