UPS Truck Ride

Aww c'mon you never did that on the back of the ice cream truck when you were a kid? At least he's not trying to steal the truck.

upsdude

Driver failed to check his rear vision camera prior to pulling from curb. That's if the camera was working.

Same PCM here, kids are,well, dirt bags.

browniehound

Driver failed to check his rear vision camera prior to pulling from curb. That's if the camera was working.

Same PCM here, kids are,well, dirt bags.

How are you supposed to check your rear-vision camera when pulling from the curb when the correct method is to look over your left shoulder when pulling from the curb?

I have never heard at a PCM, or read anywhere that we should be checking our rear vision camera when pulling from the curb.

If this idiot kid got hurt UPS would be all over the driver for "not being aware of his surroundings".

So I guess now, on top of the 1000 other things we have to defend against from the really stupid public, we must clear our rear vision camera of some punk?

If I start the truck and see him on my bumper can I get out and throw snowballs at him:laughing:?

Last edited:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The only problem with videos like this is that you are going to get plenty of "copycats" so we all need to be aware of this until the next fad comes along. I always wait until my camera has come on and check it before pulling from the curb. This may sound like it takes a long time but if you put the key in acc first as you are putting your seatbelt and then start the engine the camera should already be on by the time that you are ready to pull from the curb.

Freeloader joked about catching a ride on the back of an ice cream truck. I know that I will be showing my age, but I have done the same thing on the back of a milk truck (yes, milk used to be delivered door to door...ask your parents if you don't believe me) and on the bumper of cars, but these were all done when there was snow on the roads.

upsdude

How are you supposed to check your rear-vision camera when pulling from the curb when the correct method is to look over your left shoulder when pulling from the curb?

I have never heard at a PCM, or read anywhere that we should be checking our rear vision camera when pulling from the curb.

If this idiot kid got hurt UPS would be all over the driver for "not being aware of his surroundings".

So I guess now, on top of the 1000 other things we have to defend against from the really stupid public, we must clear our rear vision camera of some punk?

If I start the truck and see him on my bumper can I get out and throw snowballs at him:laughing:?

I've seen the video, over and over again. The punk kid was on there long enough to have been seen, then he fell off.

upsdude

I always wait until my camera has come on and check it before pulling from the curb. This may sound like it takes a long time but if you put the key in acc first as you are putting your seatbelt and then start the engine the camera should already be on by the time that you are ready to pull from the curb.

Same here.

jds4lunch

What the hell is YOUPS??
What the driver should have done if he had spotted the kid in the rear-view camera is get out of his seat, walk quietly thru the back of the truck and throw the back doors open.

Cementups

Box Monkey
I told my center manager about this video about 3 weeks ago. He finally got a chance to check it out and gave a PCM on it the following week. He used to be a fromer Safety Manager so maybe after that he passed it on so the knowledge could be spread. I could have possibly started this I suppose cause I have heard of this PCM going around lately. Cool!

DS

Fenderbender
I had 2 kids on my bumper once,there was a car parked right behind me,I slammed it in reverse,rev'd the crap out of it and backed up about an inch...scared the crap out of 'em...
check monitor,left signal left mirror left shoulder...beep beep..
thats my motto...dont you mess with ups

old levi's

blank space
I had 2 kids on my bumper once,there was a car parked right behind me,I slammed it in reverse,rev'd the crap out of it and backed up about an inch...scared the crap out of 'em...
check monitor,left signal left mirror left shoulder...beep beep..
thats my motto...dont you mess with ups

Pull forward about 3 feet and then jam the brakes. Can you say bobblehead?

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
What the driver should have done if he had spotted the kid in the rear-view camera is get out of his seat, walk quietly thru the back of the truck and throw the back doors open.

Thats what I did once! I started the car, saw them in my camera, put it in neutral with parking brake on, walked through the car, opened the back swinging doors on them, which scared the crap out of them. It never happened again at that bus stop.

rod

Retired 22 years
The driver that delivers through the local Indian Reservation always said that he felt he was the local taxi cab because he always had kids (and adults) hanging off his bumper. :happy2:

browniehound

There is still snow where your at??:cool::cool:

No there is no snow here but I associate riding on bumpers with snow. As stupid kids we used to hang on to car's bumpers and glide down the street after it snowed.

Someone mentioned the milk truck and showing his age. You may not be THAT old, because my next door neighbor would get a milk delivery and the year was 1977.

Then again, this was the last I remember of them and if you were old enough(I was 4 in '77) to jump on the bumper you just might be in your late 40's:wink2:.