UPS..United Parcel Safety

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
You're a disgusting pig. Do your parents know that you grew up to be a corporate misinformation trough? Everything in your post was completely obscene and blatant management rhetoric.
This post is a flame and is in violation of the Brown Cafe Terms of Service. Feel free to challenge opinions that you disagree with but personal attacks are not welcome here.

From the Brown Cafe Terms of Service:

Discussion can be animated, which is fine, but we do not welcome personal attacks, on- or off-board. It is inappropriate to say anything on a discussion board about any individual or entity that you would not be prepared to say to them face-to-face.

It is fine to disagree with a different viewpoint, but please limit this to challenging the idea and not make your comments a personal challenge or make derogatory personal comments about individuals, their ideas or their situation. The latter is considered to be a flame and will not be tolerated.

By agreeing to these rules, you warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-oriented, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws.

ExupserNaples

Delivery truck tips over in Golden Gate Estates | naplesnews.com | Naples Daily News Pretty strange was looking at the P500 discussion, then went to my hometown newspaper and saw this. I'm sure it was UPS and on that route this would have been a P500.Somebody will be getting a few months off but the question is with or without pay.:cool:

LKLND3380

Hey, did everyone enjoy theri ZERO bar for 0 accidents and 0 injuries the other day. Is it just me or is management focusing on SAFETY SAFETY SAFETY and not so much service?! I know around here we're beginning to think that our company's last name isn't Service anymore...it's now Safety. Next thing you know mgmt will start griping about how we're losing this customer and that customer because we're not providing service on packages. Don't get me wrong, I think safety is important, but we need not forget about where we started and came from.

SAFETY FIRST!!!!

Last edited:

moreluck

golden ticket member
"Delivery truck tips over in Golden Gate Estates | naplesnews.com | Naples Daily News Pretty strange was looking at the P500 discussion, then went to my hometown newspaper and saw this. I'm sure it was UPS and on that route this would have been a P500.Somebody will be getting a few months off but the question is with or without pay.:cool:"

Authorities couldn't tell if it was all brown or white with purple & green ????????

W

watchurbck

It's all about #'s not safety. In the 15 years I've known my husband (he's a pkgcar driver), his "accidents" have been... in a 500- tread flying off & went sliding sideways down roadway. Was asked to drive 20 miles to get tire fixed. In a 500, axel breaking and seeing wheel slide out from rear of truck. Luckily he was in a residential area. In a 600 - brakes went out. Made it safely through intersection and brought safely to stop. Was asked to bring back to center. Asked manager if they would be responsible if there was an accident. "Well, No." "Well why would I drive this truck!" Refused! In a 600 - windshield fell in his lap. Again was asked to drive into center. Another time the fire ext. went off. Sprayed the entire inside of truck. Was not allowed to clean up. "Just drive, you'll be fine!" These are just the ones I remember. I know he doesn't tell me every situation. It's getting to routine & I can't do anything about it but listen & pray he gets home in one piece.

over9five

Staff member
You CAN do something about it! Call UPS Corporate and complain LOUDLY about this. Tell them everything you told us, and add that you fear for your husbands life. His management team is out of control, and needs to be reigned in.

You may save his life.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
It's all about #'s not safety. In the 15 years I've known my husband (he's a pkgcar driver), his "accidents" have been... in a 500- tread flying off & went sliding sideways down roadway. Was asked to drive 20 miles to get tire fixed. In a 500, axel breaking and seeing wheel slide out from rear of truck. Luckily he was in a residential area. In a 600 - brakes went out. Made it safely through intersection and brought safely to stop. Was asked to bring back to center. Asked manager if they would be responsible if there was an accident. "Well, No." "Well why would I drive this truck!" Refused! In a 600 - windshield fell in his lap. Again was asked to drive into center. Another time the fire ext. went off. Sprayed the entire inside of truck. Was not allowed to clean up. "Just drive, you'll be fine!" These are just the ones I remember. I know he doesn't tell me every situation. It's getting to routine & I can't do anything about it but listen & pray he gets home in one piece.
That is sad. Since he has so much time in as a driver,(and even if he didnt) he just needs to park it and call, every time. I drove a few times when I didnt feel safe with things not right on my truck, now I have a superb mechanic and a regular truck, and now Im not afraid to say "nah, not doing it" If you know in your heart, it is not safe, you are the professional, it is your job to not drive it. A few weeks ago, I had a seal on my rear brake leaking. I went to the mechanic, he filled the resevoir, gave me 3 cans of brake fluid, and told me to check it every hour. When I left the bldg, before I knew I had a problem, I went down a hill and had very little brake. I did not feel comfortable with this decision. And I get the old eyes rolled at me, "the pain in the a** woman, now shes a mechanic look. So I went to the mgr, then and only then did he decide "well I better drive it around the bldg and see how bad it is, "What is was, was my concern. I did not like to over ride another professional, but I would rather p*** off a mechanic, than be dead by eve, or kill someone. And if I over reacted I could eat that. I did not. See mechanics road calls are like our overallowed or missed pkgs. They get gigged too. But my mechanic had eyes the size of saucers when I told him what the other guy wanted me to do. A few weeks before that he wanted me to drive all day with no 4 ways. I said, Nah aint doing it. He said just use the turn signals. Duhhhhhhhhh. You cannot legally do that on state routes, which is where I would definetely need them, I use them at every stop.. So once again my mgr brought out a fuse, but I already had it working again, by beating on it. But it got fixed that night. So tell him to be professional, he cant get in trouble, and yes it may make for a long day, but he will come home that night. This is the one place I see where you are like a pilot, what the pilot says is the decision, he is like God, and no one can question him. Its final. Now to use that to be a pain, about little things, like a door sticking, not the time to use it, but for safety reasons, always.

W

watchurbck

Would Corporate do anything? How do I get written records from the center? Just like the employee, it's my word against theirs.

He's had 6 different center managers in 15 years. Each one gets a little worse. He & I believe it's the mentallity of the management team. Unless someone gets killed nothing will change. (And remember you'll get fired first and ask questions later.)

In the mean time, safety is first for him along with customer service. He works as directed and laughs at their screw ups.

As for knowing what goes on... I ask alot of questions and I guess he tells me more in disbelief that some of this crap really happens.

BoogaBooga

Safety comes down to the costs for UPS and the cost on the individual. Moving and delivering packages is not worth being injured or having an accident over. But it does happen and employees should be treated fairly and be reasonably accomodated. My safety is my personal value.

I like driving the P500 package cars. If the rear is locking up, have your mechanic check the rear brake linings. They maybe dirty and need replaced. I do not care for some of the recent tires that have been put on some package cars. They are getting more wear out of them because they have more rubber, but it sometimes it causes the car to wander back and forth in the driving lane. Having the mechanic check the proper tire inflation pressure can help, especially in the P47 vans. I like the new P57 package car with the dual wheels and side cargo door. They are easier to drive and deliver out of. Although I have not driven the new P57 with the single wheel, I have talked to respected drivers who have driving concerns. One concern is that the P57 wants to travel in a straight line on a gravel road even though the steering wheels are turned. Another concern is poor traction in snow due to the drive wheels having too much torque at low speeds. It seems getting started in snowy conditions can be difficult. The P47 is very light in the rear, and I always try to keep weight over the wheels. I wonder if it would have been simpler if duals should have been kept on these cars. I also wonder if the tradeoff between the engineered way, and the UPS way was worth the cost savings on tires.

A

Anonymous Wuss

Ah...all this talk makes me wax nostalgic over my utility days. I remember the first route I had trained on was in a P600. Not long after leaving the hub, my brakes blew out. I couldn't stop the vehicle in time as I ran through a red light. I finally brought the vehicle to a slow stop by downshifting and using the emergency/parking brake. Of course, they had me drive the vehicle back to our hub in it's dilapidated condition. Another time as a utility I had my dashboard/instrument cluster catch fire in a "haunted" P800. This particular P800 was notorious because it had been involved in many other near-death encounters with other drivers I later found out. One time the engine exploded. I work in L.A. County, and most of our fleet is now new, newer, or being slated to be completely new by the end of the year (supposedly). I currently have a one year old P1000 Grumman chasis/International diesel/Allison tranny. It is by far the best vehicle in our fleet due to it's ample power and cab design. I had to use a P1200 and P1300 for peak, which I don't like nearly as much. We have a variety of new P700's and P1000's that are coming in our hub that offer various engines, but most of the newer ones have the Mercedes 5-cylinder turbo. (I've read some postings describing a Mercedes 4-cyl, but I'm pretty certain that Mercedes hasn't made a 4-cyl diesel for over 40 years now.) I loathe the Mercedes P1000's due to their lack of low end power. My route currently runs about 200 delivery stops a day on average. 400 at peak. There is no way I could safely do that many stops with the older P1000's. Their steps are too high as are the hand rails. I've already had injuries to both knees, but luckily my cartilage is still in tact. I dread when my truck needs to go to the shop for any length of time due to the fact that my replacement vehicle is almost invariably an older P1000. It is like playing Russian Roulette with my knees.

browntruckmechanic

Well isn't that special ?????????
Well I have to bust your bubble, but the frieghtliner cars do come w/the Mercedes Benz mb904 which is a inline 4cyl turbo diesel, that can be found in all sizes of car for the p7 to the p12.

tieguy

Banned
This post is a flame and is in violation of the Brown Cafe Terms of Service. Feel free to challenge opinions that you disagree with but personal attacks are not welcome here.

From the Brown Cafe Terms of Service:

Discussion can be animated, which is fine, but we do not welcome personal attacks, on- or off-board. It is inappropriate to say anything on a discussion board about any individual or entity that you would not be prepared to say to them face-to-face.

It is fine to disagree with a different viewpoint, but please limit this to challenging the idea and not make your comments a personal challenge or make derogatory personal comments about individuals, their ideas or their situation. The latter is considered to be a flame and will not be tolerated.

By agreeing to these rules, you warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-oriented, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws.

Griffster I thought this was interesting. On the other thread you felt the need to police my alleged thread jacking. Here you blatantly violated the rules and yet no response to this post? An apology to Cheryl would be nice. After all this is not a commercial site but one that is up due to Cheryls hard work and dedication. If you're going to police me then please make sure you police yourself first.

local804

Reyd,
I feel for you bro... Our boxlines oldest truck is 1996. The replacement trucks are pathetic, but our fleet seems to be in good shape. Our district travels all across the island and probably does 10x the volume pickup that you guys do. I think its just a cost savings plan UPS came up with. I will take good care of my p1000, hell you never know, might be yours in 10 years.

FromBluetoBrown

which one exactly is the P-500, I am not too familiar with the different types of package cars. We have some big ones with the 5 speed with the rounded noses(the ones that you see everyday) some smaller ones made by freightliner with a square nose and an automatic transmission and power steering and we have a really old one that all drivers hate because its a piece of junk which looks like the regular ones but smaller.

SimpleUPSer

I personally am glad that safety is focused on more these days.

The organization realized that they can save a lot of $$ by ensuring that people stay on the job and not paying all of the injury and disability claims. This has evolved into a more safety conscious employer and employee.

I hope people continue to express safety concerns, highlight potential issues and actively participate in their safety committees.