UPS vs. Union proposals now on the table

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The main reason UPS will lose customers is bad service........not because of prices. We are already headed down that path, the customers dont matter anymore. The employees dont matter any more either the only thing UPS cares about are the shareholders!

You are a part-timer----how do you know what level of service our customers are receiving?

Asskicker

I am a part-timer and I can tell you. Packages being forced through the hub so hard that half of them and their contents wind up crushed and on the floor. We can't take the time to make sure the contents are correct when we tape the package because that would take time and part-timers aren't supposed to get paid. We get hired for a job and then get sent home, or get kicked off the clock before we even hit our guarantee. Packages are being loaded crushed. Drivers are constantly complaining about the ridiculous amount of work they are sent out with. They are tired and completely over worked. How is a human being supposed to work twelve hours doing that physical type of work then turn around and do it again tomorrow? And expect to make it to 25, or 30 years of service? Then the company wants us to pay for health care?????????? What kind of care do most UPS employees need? Back and knee therapy and surgery. Maybe they should treat their employees like the human beings they are and everything might start looking a little better all around. The customers don't matter to Management...the numbers do. Ridiculous numbers are thrown out to Management and they have to meet them or "See Ya". It's not even their fault it comes from higher up. They need to take a stand and might realize they will be respected for it and stop just saying yes sir no sir. No one has a back bone anymore.

A

anonymous6

customer service should be paramount since we can't compete pricewise at this time. co. seems to want to please the BIG accounts rather than the residential. that's like Uncle Sam ignoring the needs of the middle class.. the backbone of America.

surepost sure doesn't help us in regards to reputation. i get more complaints about us from family and neighbors about surepost than anything else. i try to explain but it doesn't help.

people want service, not excuses.

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
The main reason UPS will lose customers is bad service........not because of prices. We are already headed down that path, the customers dont matter anymore. The employees dont matter any more either the only thing UPS cares about are the shareholders!

Closed today @ 85.43 per share

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
I am a part-timer and I can tell you. Packages being forced through the hub so hard that half of them and their contents wind up crushed and on the floor. We can't take the time to make sure the contents are correct when we tape the package because that would take time and part-timers aren't supposed to get paid. We get hired for a job and then get sent home, or get kicked off the clock before we even hit our guarantee. Packages are being loaded crushed. Drivers are constantly complaining about the ridiculous amount of work they are sent out with. They are tired and completely over worked. How is a human being supposed to work twelve hours doing that physical type of work then turn around and do it again tomorrow? And expect to make it to 25, or 30 years of service? Then the company wants us to pay for health care?????????? What kind of care do most UPS employees need? Back and knee therapy and surgery. Maybe they should treat their employees like the human beings they are and everything might start looking a little better all around. The customers don't matter to Management...the numbers do. Ridiculous numbers are thrown out to Management and they have to meet them or "See Ya". It's not even their fault it comes from higher up. They need to take a stand and might realize they will be respected for it and stop just saying yes sir no sir. No one has a back bone anymore.

Getting kicked off the clock before you get your gurantee isn't the union's fault - it's yours. You have to insist on your 3.5 hours and grieve it if the company won't let you get it.

Limper

Out For Delivery

We're losing market share to FedEx each year because they have better service? I doubt it. Unfortunately rates DO
matter and your company is cutting trips and slamming you with stops just to try to stay even. But it's not enough.
So they stick you with telematics so you work safer. But its not enough. So they give you keyless entry and Orion
to make you work more efficiently. Will it keep us competitive? Doubtful. So UPS only solution is to use less of us to do more of the work.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

You are a part-timer----how do you know what level of service our customers are receiving?

Maybe he was one of the customers I had to sheet as "EC" tonight because we are so severely understaffed.

twoweeled

hard to argue with that 1!

Latest update. UPS wants to eliminate the 22.3 jobs as they become vacant. So when someone leaves or transfers from a job...it disappears. Also they proposed eliminating all 22.3 jobs right now. The Union has proposed NOTHING about adding more full time 22.3 jobs.

The Union proposed $1.50 a year raise for all UPSers to cover the costs of healthcare. What costs????? The Union said they would not under any circumstances make us pay for our healthcare. That's not a valid trade off people. Do not fall for what looks like a decent wage increase. They also proposed bringing the new hire pay closer to top wage with an extra bump in pay. While UPS is proposing a $1000 bonus for full timers and a $500 bonus for part timers with a 50 cent and 25 cent pay raise. Don't fall for this one either. The second contract I was a part of here that was passed. I received $385 after taxes. That is not even close to what you would receive with an hourly raise. Don't fall for this one please!!!

As far as harassment goes....nothing!!!!!! hall propose something about filing grievances on harassment. WOW...really? Then what? UPS will harass you even more in the YEAR it will take for the grievance, which will be deadlocked and wind up going to arbitration, is even addressed. I think the Union has to start demanding a little more for our dues. The grievance procedure SUCKS and grievances should be settled within a month or two of them being filed. If not then what's the point in filing and putting your ass on the line. You know they seek revenge on you when you file a grievance. If this Union isn't going to represent it's members then it's time to start calling the NLRB. They will do something about it. Why are we paying Hoffa's salary and getting **** contracts? We need to Unite and form our own Union!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Will update with any further proposals I hear about. What have you all heard???????
I think you are a troll and the biggest jerk this forum has seen in a great while.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

hard to argue with that 1!

I think you are a troll and the biggest jerk this forum has seen in a great while.

6 members liked his post. You are the only one to disagree. What does that tell you?

wkmac

I am a part-timer and I can tell you. Packages being forced through the hub so hard that half of them and their contents wind up crushed and on the floor.

That's been accepted practice for my entire 32 year career. In fact, 2/3's of my own job security is likely built off the after effects of this very practice to the conveyor systems themselves. For 32 years I've complained, pointed it out, taken pictures and even video and had the nerve to run them up the flagpole even well up into the corp. level. What's changed?

Nothing except I stopped giving a gawd damn and now I just take their money and run!

This company is reactive not proactive and once you understand that, life gets rather simple.

I admire and appreciate the fact that you care but at the end of the day, you'll get nowhere for all the energy you expend. This company only reacts to crisis.

Asskicker

You are entitled to your opinion Mr. Steward. I am tired of being played by both sides. The company is full of it and so is the Union. We are pawns in their game and I frankly am tired of being played with. This is our life and at some point you have to stand up for yourself and fight the good fight. I'm not going to be on this earth forever. I'm not going to be stomped on anymore and have people tell me what's best for me. I'm intelligent enough to know what's best for me and will pursue it as long as I can. Right now my fight is for the next generation of UPSers. I feel bad that the conditions have gotten so bad that it's tough to even consider retiring from this job in the future. Doesn't anyone out there care about your brother anymore? I thought that's what a Union was supposed to be.

And as far as all of you immature bloggers that keep referring to me as "Ass-licker"....Who's Ass am I licking? I don't understand the reference. My whole point is that I'm not licking anyone's Ass anymore and will fight for the rights of the workers until I retire. Maybe you all should reconsider who you are voting for your Stewards and BAs. They are the Ass-lickers.

Last edited:

UPSGUY72

You are entitled to your opinion Mr. Steward. I am tired of being played by both sides. The company is full of it and so is the Union. We are pawns in their game and I frankly am tired of being played with. This is our life and at some point you have to stand up for yourself and fight the good fight. I'm not going to be on this earth forever. I'm not going to be stomped on anymore and have people tell me what's best for me. I'm intelligent enough to know what's best for me and will pursue it as long as I can. Right now my fight is for the next generation of UPSers. I feel bad that the conditions have gotten so bad that it's tough to even consider retiring from this job in the future. Doesn't anyone out there care about your brother anymore? I thought that's what a Union was supposed to be.

"I feel bad that the conditions have gotten so bad that it's tough to even consider retiring from this job in the future."

Really it going to be hard for you to retire getting a pension along with 401K and SS.