UPSDate "Confusion and Misinformation" - Re: P/T Medical in Central Supplement

AlwaysChafed

For 26 years I have had Teamster (UPS on the board of trustees) healthcare. Over those years co-pay has gone up, prescription cost have gone up, vision benefit isn't as good, and dental cost/reimbursements/co-pay have gone up. That's just a fact of rising healthcare cost 3x the rate of inflation and cut throat competition in the trucking industry. Yet, everyone of my healthcare providers call my insurance GOLD PLATED compared to what 98% of the other people they see.

You don't get it, and you probably never will. That's why I've been telling everyone to forget about any pay increases while whiners like you fail to see whats in there long term self-interest.

:getwell:

Eh, I'd rather have solid gold.

QKRSTKR

I received a letter from our local the other day about a meeting with central states to answer questions about teamcare. Interesting was in the letter it spewed the same stuff about the master passing and health care won't change. It also stated as of January 1, 2014, we will no longer be in the company plan. Is that misinformation? I thought master couldnt ratify until all supps passed.

Delivered

For 26 years I have had Teamster (UPS on the board of trustees) healthcare. Over those years co-pay has gone up, prescription cost have gone up, vision benefit isn't as good, and dental cost/reimbursements/co-pay have gone up. That's just a fact of rising healthcare cost 3x the rate of inflation and cut throat competition in the trucking industry. Yet, everyone of my healthcare providers call my insurance GOLD PLATED compared to what 98% of the other people they see.

You don't get it, and you probably never will. That's why I've been telling everyone to forget about any pay increases while whiners like you fail to see whats in there long term self-interest.

:getwell:
What "concession" from UPS would you push back. I never said anything about Health care, record profits, or the current state of the IBT. Hell I never even said I disagree with you.

And with my 20+ years of service I agree with you in regards to pay increases at least for Package and Feeders. If you can't live on 40 hours a week at top-rate you're living beyond your means.

And with the "cut throat competition in the trucking industry" what will you do when UPS makes Billions, maybe less than $5 Billion maybe more comes to you and demands you lose a week of vacation and take $5/hr pay cut? Your pay and vacation would still be "GOLD PLATED" compared to what 98% of the other people receive from their employers...

oldupsman

I received a letter from our local the other day about a meeting with central states to answer questions about teamcare. Interesting was in the letter it spewed the same stuff about the master passing and health care won't change. It also stated as of January 1, 2014, we will no longer be in the company plan. Is that misinformation? I thought master couldnt ratify until all supps passed.

You're correct. The master can't be put into effect until all supplements are passed. The Jan 1st date is also bogus. The IBT is trying to
scare everyone into voting yes. In the area my supplement covers the IBT game plan is to try and get the part time vote out and get the
supplement passed. However the part timers in our area are smarter than that when we explained how they would lose their excellent UPS health care
plan. As of this time we have received no information regarding Teamcare or been asked what are concerns are about our supplement. The IBT plan
seems to be to try and ram this through one more time. Not going to happen here.

InsideUPS

InsideUPS, please read NM Art 34. Ken H and other negotiators comprehend language that apparently some others don't. The majority accepted National Master Art 34 Sec 2 (b) first sentence clearly supercedes any supplement. The Central Supplement only repeats the language for strengthening purposes in the event of a dispute, but the Master guides.

Voting no will not change the agreed to language. Voting no will not get local autonomy in regards to HC. The locals that carved out the MOU for autonomy in HC, (Western Conference and L177) will struggle to match the provided benefit levels at the same contribution rates. This entire system is predicated on the size of the pool. Reduce the pool and this plan fails. For profit HC plans in your community will not provide anything near the level of coverage TeamCARE offers. Again shrink the pool and costs skyrocket. Delaying this ratification only will delay the eventual imposition of this agreement by the IBT. The HC issue is over and TDU is either intentionally lying or bewildered by facts.

It's really not as confusing as you stated.

Definition of Imposition - a thing that is imposed, in particular an unfair or unwelcome demand or burden.

I agree Inthegame, it really is not as confusing as it may appear. The IBT is in the process of IMPOSING something upon the MAJORITY of it's members in the Central Region that WE do not accept. That is why we here in the Central Region voted NO and will continue to do so. Healthcare issues are outlined in the Central Region Supplement and as such are "fair game" to be brought up and voted upon. Thankfully we have a few "checks and balances" left against those that clearly want to make this significant concession a "non-issue". It is crystal clear that the IBT (and their lawyers) want to take more authority from the Locals and their business agents that ultimately affects the very members that feed this power hungry organization we call the IBT. I'm from an era when Local language and agreements often superseded National and Supplemental language. That trend has most definitely reversed.

While I fully understand the concept of TeamCare in terms of overall economics for the plan, I do not accept your statement that "For profit HC plans in your community will not provide anything near the level of coverage TeamCARE offers.". Your statement is simply not true for the HC plan within our Local at least. Savy and motivated business agents have the ability (given they have the autonomy to do so) to negotiate plans for their members in which the benefits are SUPERIOR to that of TEAMCARE. Our full-time work force in our Local remains and will remain in a "for profit HC plan" with benefits that are SUPERIOR to that of the enhanced C-6 plan. I have the plan schedule of benefits to support my statement. It is my desire in our Local to be in the same "For Profit" healthcare plan as our full-time counterparts.

Being "herded" into TeamCare, a plan that Hoffa himself has said is not sustainable is risky and represents a significant concession pure and simple. No, the world will not come to an end if we all do end up in TeamCare, however this contract with it's concessions does represent a major turning point for the future of UPSers and the future of the IBT in general. Apathy, as measured by the relatively few number of UPSers that voted in this contract is at an all time high. Division amongst UPS Teamsters is at an all time high. Harassment will continue and escalate in most locals across the country. Stink, 407, yourself, and other well intentioned Union representatives will be no match for the very deep pockets and power of UPS. While you few may be able to temper the actions of big Brown in your area, many other UPSers will suffer as the new Corporate UPS continues to "take control" of our contracts and consequently our lives.

So......in summary Inthegame....it's not necessarily the single healthcare issue that concerns me the most....it's the total picture of how UPS is slowly but surely taking control of our contracts and destroying the very fabric of our Union through "divide and conquer" techniques. UPS and our negotiators continue to take from the many and give to the few. It won't be long before our contracts begin to take from those few remaining that still have something to take. Get ready for an era of harassment, discharges, and at the very least....long hours for those that will be earning that premium wage.

Inthegame

Definition of Imposition - a thing that is imposed, in particular an unfair or unwelcome demand or burden.

I agree Inthegame, it really is not as confusing as it may appear. The IBT is in the process of IMPOSING something upon the MAJORITY of it's members in the Central Region that WE do not accept. That is why we here in the Central Region voted NO and will continue to do so. Healthcare issues are outlined in the Central Region Supplement and as such are "fair game" to be brought up and voted upon. Thankfully we have a few "checks and balances" left against those that clearly want to make this significant concession a "non-issue". It is crystal clear that the IBT (and their lawyers) want to take more authority from the Locals and their business agents that ultimately affects the very members that feed this power hungry organization we call the IBT. I'm from an era when Local language and agreements often superseded National and Supplemental language. That trend has most definitely reversed.

While I fully understand the concept of TeamCare in terms of overall economics for the plan, I do not accept your statement that "For profit HC plans in your community will not provide anything near the level of coverage TeamCARE offers.". Your statement is simply not true for the HC plan within our Local at least. Savy and motivated business agents have the ability (given they have the autonomy to do so) to negotiate plans for their members in which the benefits are SUPERIOR to that of TEAMCARE. Our full-time work force in our Local remains and will remain in a "for profit HC plan" with benefits that are SUPERIOR to that of the enhanced C-6 plan. I have the plan schedule of benefits to support my statement. It is my desire in our Local to be in the same "For Profit" healthcare plan as our full-time counterparts.

Being "herded" into TeamCare, a plan that Hoffa himself has said is not sustainable is risky and represents a significant concession pure and simple. No, the world will not come to an end if we all do end up in TeamCare, however this contract with it's concessions does represent a major turning point for the future of UPSers and the future of the IBT in general. Apathy, as measured by the relatively few number of UPSers that voted in this contract is at an all time high. Division amongst UPS Teamsters is at an all time high. Harassment will continue and escalate in most locals across the country. Stink, 407, yourself, and other well intentioned Union representatives will be no match for the very deep pockets and power of UPS. While you few may be able to temper the actions of big Brown in your area, many other UPSers will suffer as the new Corporate UPS continues to "take control" of our contracts and consequently our lives.

So......in summary Inthegame....it's not necessarily the single healthcare issue that concerns me the most....it's the total picture of how UPS is slowly but surely taking control of our contracts and destroying the very fabric of our Union through "divide and conquer" techniques. UPS and our negotiators continue to take from the many and give to the few. It won't be long before our contracts begin to take from those few remaining that still have something to take. Get ready for an era of harassment, discharges, and at the very least....long hours for those that will be earning that premium wage.
Good luck Inside, I hope things work out in your favor. I'm guessing they won't but I'm also confident you'll be satified with TeamCARE. However your FT "for profit" H&W plan being less expensive than non-profit TeamCARE defies logic. I believe your FT plan contracts with a "for profit" provider to administer through their network and self pays, probably without a retiree subsidized coverage component. Happy Labor Day.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
Yeah our local guy and the shop steward say the same thing health care isn't going to change. But it is changing to team care on jan 1 2014. Do I just not get it or do they just not get it? Local guy still hasn't even attempted to give us details on team care.

Inthegame

Yeah our local guy and the shop steward say the same thing health care isn't going to change. But it is changing to team care on jan 1 2014. Do I just not get it or do they just not get it? Local guy still hasn't even attempted to give us details on team care.
The IBT has set an informational meeting on TeamCARE this Wednesday in Chicago. Your local most likely will have a rep present. Look for a local mtg soon to help answer about a zillion questions.

cynic

I read that letter as propaganda trying to fill those still voting with friend.U.D. - Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt. Will we miss the enrollment period if we don't vote yes and have no insurance come January 1st? Nope. I'm a PT'er on the company plan thanking God for every day of delay.

Whether one values the communication coming out of TDU or not, I do commend "some" information constantly being provided and do agree with the term "Brown Out" as far as IBT providing us ANY insight on WTF TeamCare will (not) be. I pay my dues, give me information. This is not China - my union dues are not required as communist party dues are in China. Value and respect your dues paying IBT members - or watch membership dwindle lower in RTW states. Just sayin'.

Inthegame

I read that letter as propaganda trying to fill those still voting with friend.U.D. - Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt. Will we miss the enrollment period if we don't vote yes and have no insurance come January 1st? Nope. I'm a PT'er on the company plan thanking God for every day of delay.

Whether one values the communication coming out of TDU or not, I do commend "some" information constantly being provided and do agree with the term "Brown Out" as far as IBT providing us ANY insight on WTF TeamCare will (not) be. I pay my dues, give me information. This is not China - my union dues are not required as communist party dues are in China. Value and respect your dues paying IBT members - or watch membership dwindle lower in RTW states. Just sayin'.
The IBT laid an egg on info regarding TeamCARE. I'm hoping this conference Wednesday (two months too late) will answer questions. I'm familar with CS C-6 and it is good insurance. The enhanced plan offered is better.
As a PT, you'd be covered by UPS til Jan 1 even had everythbeyond July ing ratified. But even if everything's not ratified UPS had no obligation to provide your H&W after the expiration of the CBA. Jan 1 it's TeamCARE, like it or not.