UPS's Safest Driver

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Congrats on the outstanding safe driving job, 49 years and four million miles is quite an accomplishment.

Some day my goal is the Circle of Honor.

I think I was due my 23 year award today, but they forgot about it. I really have 24, but they screwed up one year and never fixed it. I am planning to work at least two more years, it would be a worthy goal to make the Circle of Honor. We usually have one driver a year make it in my Hub.

brownelf

congrats scratch on making 23yrs. I too am getting close to the end of my career and the chance to hit 25yrs of safe driving, it would be nice to leave this place on a positive note.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture

I see this guy daily.
He looks like he's about to die behind the wheel.
67 years old with 49 years of seniority.
His plan is to work until he dies to keep his ex-wife from getting any of his pension.
Kind of sad, I feel sorry for him.
He thinks he's winning.
Reality is she's still kicking his ass and he doesn't even realize it.
"Big Dog" or Hurt Puppy?

P.S. Don't be to impressed, he's received some favorable "unavoidable" rulings over the past few decades. Guess the company recognizes the value of free publicity like these news stories.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
P.S. Don't be to impressed, he's received some favorable "unavoidable" rulings over the past few decades. Guess the company recognizes the value of free publicity like these news stories.

enough said...it's a sham, though lasting 49 years probably took some bum smooching and golf with mgmt, there should be a circle of honor for longevity - nevermind the safe driving scam.

cosmictrucker

counting the months
enough said...it's a sham, though lasting 49 years probably took some bum smooching and golf with mgmt, there should be a circle of honor for longevity - nevermind the safe driving scam.

Yes, just surviving 25 - 30 years should be it's own reward. 25+ safe driving has more to do with Luck and Lies, rather than pure skill set.

raceanoncr

I see this guy daily.
His plan is to work until he dies to keep his ex-wife from getting any of his pension.
Kind of sad, I feel sorry for him.
He thinks he's winning.
Reality is she's still kicking his ass and he doesn't even realize it.
"Big Dog" or Hurt Puppy?

I think you're right, Bubble. We used to see Ron every Thurs in Louky break room across from feeder dispatch when we were in sleepers. He took his lunch in there and we had to wait for loads. Said, basically, the same thing you did. He had reached some milestone about 5 or more yrs ago and told us of his goals. We asked, "Why?" He told us the story.

I still ask, "Why?"

My health and peace of mind are more important than screwing somebody out of something.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
Some day my goal is the Circle of Honor.
When I reached Circle of Honor, they placed an engraved "trophy" on the package car outside the passenger side door stating name and 25 years safe driving. Whenever we had an audit asking their safety drivel I simply pointed to the truck and said "There is your 10 point commentary!"
Have not seen that package car in over a year now. Some other UPSer must be impersonating a Circle on Honoree.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
When I reached Circle of Honor, they placed an engraved "trophy" on the package car outside the passenger side door stating name and 25 years safe driving. Whenever we had an audit asking their safety drivel I simply pointed to the truck and said "There is your 10 point commentary!"
Have not seen that package car in over a year now. Some other UPSer must be impersonating a Circle on Honoree.

We had a driver that reached his 25 year safe driving mark last year.
When they tried to present him with his sport coat at a PCM, he told them to keep it that he wasn't interested.
He then through the plaque in the garbage.
That coat hung in the center managers office for the better part of year before they gave up on him buying in.
He's my idol.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Some other UPSer must be impersonating a Circle on Honoree.

One of the drivers in my Center fits this description. He was given the Circle of Honor by mistake instead of getting his 25 Years of Service Award. He had worked part time three years and had been driving for 22 years with quite of few reported accidents at the time. This was a few years back when the company used to appreciate this achievement. He got the hotel room, steak dinner, and the gold jacket. The driver next to me got his Circle of Honor last year. Our Center Manager at the time didn't even mention it in our Friday morning PCM, even though I reminded him of it. All he got was a "congrats" from the OMS when she handed him his uniform shirts with the shoulder patch sewn on.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We had a driver that reached his 25 year safe driving mark last year.
When they tried to present him with his sport coat at a PCM, he told them to keep it that he wasn't interested.
He then through the plaque in the garbage.
That coat hung in the center managers office for the better part of year before they gave up on him buying in.
He's my idol.

I would have lost any respect that I may have had for that driver at that moment. The right thing to do would have been to accept the plaque and coat, shake the center manager's hand, and then do with them as he pleases, but to show disdain for his employer in this manner is disrespectful.

He should be no one's idol.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
I would have lost any respect that I may have had for that driver at that moment. The right thing to do would have been to accept the plaque and coat, shake the center manager's hand, and then do with them as he pleases, but to show disdain for his employer in this manner is disrespectful.

He should be no one's idol.
To each his own. We have a driver in our center who was a Circle of Honoree with over 30 years of safe driving. He backed into a basketball hoop that caused NO damage to either the package car nor the rim, but reported it anyways. He was rewarded with about a 2 week unpaid vacation while the firing went through the grievance procedure.
Thought about his situation when they asked me to come to the center for my induction into the Circle of Honor. Respectfully declined the invitation. The shirts with the shoulder patch came up in the TP60 along with a few bananas. Took the fruit and left the shirts!
All the Circle of Honor means to UPS is a full page ad in USA Today once a year.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

To each his own. We have a driver in our center who was a Circle of Honoree with over 30 years of safe driving. He backed into a basketball hoop that caused NO damage to either the package car nor the rim, but reported it anyways. He was rewarded with about a 2 week unpaid vacation while the firing went through the grievance procedure.
Thought about his situation when they asked me to come to the center for my induction into the Circle of Honor. Respectfully declined the invitation. The shirts with the shoulder patch came up in the TP60 along with a few bananas. Took the fruit and left the shirts!
All the Circle of Honor means to UPS is a full page ad in USA Today once a year.

The difference here is that you chose not to make a public display of your feelings. That is the issue I had and why I said I would have lost any respect that I may have had for that driver. If he would have simply accepted the plaque and coat then shook his center manager's hand he could have turned around and put them on e-Bay for all I care.

Why did he get fired if he reported it and there was no damage??

Because the system is farce, run by hypocrites.
Unfortunately we don't all work in UpstateNY where all is as it should be.

Sometimes I get the picture he works in wonderland. Like it is to good to be true and I'm getting ripped off because I work in such a big operation. We are always the first to get all new technology and every big boss and his or her big bosses and fifteen other big wigs are always around. If I worked in a very little barn in this Mary Poppens atmosphere maybe my perspective wouldn't be so clouded and proactive. Nah who am I kidding I work in the big leagues where you have to be a man and you see and experience every facet of the culture. Over a thousand or so characters to where I'm from and no bed of roses.