Using hub workers to deliver packages

cylvrbond

I am a cover driver. I was recently sent back to the hub for a month. I drove the last two weeks and now im scheduled to go back to the hub next week. Since October the hub has been using onon-drivers to deliver packages. Drivers have to shuttle packages out to storage containers and hub workers are delivering the packages in golf carts for 9.50 an hour. It takes them 2 to 3 times longer to deliver them than one driver. In the long run it seems it would cost the company more money this way than to have a cover driver deliver them. Do I have a grievence?

cylvrbond

Three times while I was back in the unload they actually had me drive after I unloaded trailers. I shuttled the packages out to storage bins where hub workers then deliver them with golf carts. One was actually in an apartment complex where the guy delivers them in his own vehicle.

Mike Hawk

Here they are doing that with bicycles instead of golf carts, the trailers they pull are thin sheet metal, maybe 50 lbs max if there are no big bumps. I can't figure out how some helper off the street will be able to figure out how to deliver unsupervised by a driver. They have to plan out their "route", what they will take each trip, figure out the streets etc. Not to mention a bike with a big trailer does not belong on the sidewalk so the liability of the helper pedaling down the side of the road, untrained on proper bicycle traffic rules will be huge. To my knowledge they haven't used them yet, they are just siting around.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Our mall driver has a helper and a trailer. He parks the trailer and the helper delivers out of the trailer and then they work together for the number of hours that he is allowed to use his helper.

Lobofan5

I have been 'cover' driving for 6 months now. Im still a preload employee. I know 'cover' drivers from our preload that have been 'cover' driving for more than 18 months.

No bids in site.

No job security.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
These type of issues are hard to decipher in this forum as we are all in different geographical regions governed by different supplemental contractual language. In my part of the country the company has the right to use seasonal drivers from off the street to supplement their work force in the months of November and December as well as the summer period from Memorial Day to Labor day. As long as all available seniority drivers are working there is no violation in working these off street seasonal drivers. The helpers are in play during November and December as well. I recommend you check with your steward and business agent as to how the scenario you outlined falls in line with your supplemental language.

Beware of advice given on this site about grievances. As I said before what flies here may not fly there.