USPS Air Cargo Contract

Brown Circus

Shh...It’s peak and I’m hunting logic
With this new contract how are they planning on this looking. Will we be bringing it to the post office? Will they be picking up from the airport? Maybe they just sub contract it out?

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I guess that would depend on whose plane is moving it.
I've seen shiny wheels haul stuff away from the Atlanta Gateway a few times while picking up EAMs. I don't know if there is anything in the Master about it.

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
I've seen shiny wheels haul stuff away from the Atlanta Gateway a few times while picking up EAMs. I don't know if there is anything in the Master about it.
Yeah it’s going to be one of those wait and see kind of deals. We are the only drivers at our gateway but we have a smaller air operation than Atlanta. In my opinion, our planes our work.

worldwide

My guess is that this will be treated just like any other air cargo that moves in the UPS network. UPS Supply Chain will manage the move of the pallets of mail so it will likely not see the small package feeder network.

ManInBrown

Buddy saw three white straight job type vans at EWR last night backed up being offloaded. The vehicles said cargo something and also said post.

Whatthewhat

We have been moving USPS on our planes for years. This is just a much bigger contract. Post office drops it off at a cargo facility, we put it in a can and fly it to destination and post office picks it up

Anthropomorphic Cow

We have been moving USPS on our planes for years. This is just a much bigger contract. Post office drops it off at a cargo facility, we put it in a can and fly it to destination and post office picks it up
Yeah but usps wanted us because they want access to the feeder network, they are planning on reworking priority mail and moving more stuff on the ground.

worldwide

That's actually pretty funny after they offered big severance packages too many of the pilots last year
The majority of the pilots that took those packages were senior pilots making the top end of their payscale. New pilots hired to support the USPS business will be on the opposite end of the pay scale. Don't get me wrong, pilots make a nice salary, as they should given the cost of education and obtaining various pilots certifications. A new first officer is making $200/hr vs a senior captain making $350/hr.

The other factor is the age of the pilot group. There is a fair number of mandatory retirements happening over the next several years so some of these new hires are simply back-filling these retirements.

The majority of the pilots that took those packages were senior pilots making the top end of their payscale. New pilots hired to support the USPS business will be on the opposite end of the pay scale. Don't get me wrong, pilots make a nice salary, as they should given the cost of education and obtaining various pilots certifications. A new first officer is making $200/hr vs a senior captain making $350/hr.

The other factor is the age of the pilot group. There is a fair number of mandatory retirements happening over the next several years so some of these new hires are simply back-filling these retirements.
It just sucks the way this company is going

Thank God I don't have a mandatory age for package car drivers