Utter Nonsense

A driver today became sick on his run and called the center. He was told that a supervisor would come out and drive but that he would have to do the delivery work.
Later that day he began to vomit. He told the supervisor that he had to go home, he was told in no uncertain terms that if he did he would BE FIRED for job abandoment!

The driver should have said Take your best shot, called 911 from his phone and gone to the ER. IMO this is where we fail as a union. Why do people have to learn their rights, proper procedures for dealing with UPS (especially for those driving), and what the actual rules that apply from govt agencies AFTER crap like this happens. Some will say its UPS' job to train. Yes. But it's also the unions job to train it's people too. Want to talk about a strong union? What would you call it if every member had the correct and consistent answer for every situation?

I just make it more gross every time. I just say I'm out sick today. They will always ask why. I always say it's private. If they persist, I'll give them crazy stuff non of which are true. Blood in my stool. Vomiting in my sleep. Ruptured hemroid. Infected tonsillolith (by far the grossest).

Don't make stuff up. All you have to say is "I'm ill". That's it. Requests for any further info just violates your right to privacy under the law. Any comments from management on what "you need to do" have to only be met with the question "I'm sorry Mr. Mgr, what are you a doctor of?"

Maybe we have it easier in feeder because under the DOT if we become ill and they keep us in service it's their ass if we so much a scratch something. Which will be the first thing to happen if I'm ever refused to leave.