Vacation bidding

As far as the OP, if a higher seniority driver just wanted to give up a desirable week then, IMO, it should be available to anyone who wanted it by seniority. Not just "given to a lower seniority driver of his choosing.

Now on the flipside. If a higher seniority driver had a need come up to take a specific different week off and whatever other driver irregardless of seniority had that needed week and was willing to trade then it should fall to management approval. Unless more than one driver had that "needed" week then of course the highest seniority of those drivers should be given the opportunity first on down to trade. Anyone outside of that week should have no argument because obviously they don't have the "needed" week to trade.

I think every rare now and then it has happened that way in our building.

We did go to the union and the center manager. It stopped. No more swapping. The only way it can be done is to ask Every driver in between if they want the week.

Re-Raise

We did go to the union and the center manager. It stopped. No more swapping. The only way it can be done is to ask Every driver in between if they want the week.

I think that is the only fair way to do it. I had a lower seniority ask me a few years back to trade him a summer week.

I said sure and didn 't think anything of it until another driver in between us called me.

He said he hadn't been able to get a summer week off since he started driving and didn't think it was fair I gave a week to a lower seniority driver. The lower seniority guy who I was going to trade with changed his mind because he didn't think it would be in his best interest to piss off all the guys between him and me.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Sorry, but it is a big deal.

Suppose you and I are in the same center. I am #9 on the seniority list and you are #29. If you asked me to swap a vacation week we would have to ask drivers #10-28 if any of them wanted the week. If no one wanted it we could do the swap; if someone did want it the swap would not be allowed.

It could have been that one of the drivers #10-28 wanted to choose that week but the week had been closed before the bidding got to them.

You and I in the same center--wouldn't that be a trip.:happy2:
When I said 'no big deal', I didn't mean it quite like that. Here, we don't have to go through all THAT. Just the way we do things, I guess.

Now, about your working in the same center: That would be a trip.
:hapydancsmil:

UPSGUY72

All the fussing and you still didn't get that week you wanted. All you did is probably piss some other drivers off in your building. Some things are better off left as they are.

I did get my vacation weeks this year, all 6 of them! We also prevented other drivers from getting earned seniority pics from being taken from them. The only people that may be upset are the bottom 20. They will just have to wait to get their years in.

UPSGUY72

badtothebrown:941012 said:
I did get my vacation weeks this year, all 6 of them! We also prevented other drivers from getting earned seniority pics from being taken from them. The only people that may be upset are the bottom 20. They will just have to wait to get their years in.

I didn't say you didn't get your weeks I said you did get that week that the more senior driver wanted to trade. You basically prevent anyone from trading weeks.

Just to clear things up, I'm not a complete jerk about seniority. Yes, we got the swapping to stop but I only took 3 of my six weeks in the summer. The rest I took in the late fall and winter so that it would give other drivers a chance to get a summer vacation. I believe that no one persons family is more important than the other guys and everyone should have a chance to spend time with their family.