Vacation bidding

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
That is how its supposed to be. But if certain "special" people are on vacation or off during their allotted times then things get held up. I was supposed to pick this week. There are still quite a few people ahead of me that haven't. This potentially creates a problem for people needing to make vacation/travel plans for early January.
Sad part is the months and times are written in the contract, every year. It's kind of like saying Christmas snuck up on them. I'd care more if I wanted some weeks and was trying to make plans, I sold mine back in Sept so I have no skin in the game to care.

barnyard

KTM rider
This year, a driver retired that used to take the month of July off and another driver retires in 12 work days that used to take a bunch of summer weeks.

I am pretty excited to pick vacations this year. Last year, I had 3 summer weeks in a row. This year, I would like to do 2 weeks, work a week and do 2 more weeks.

Overpaid Union Thug

Sad part is the months and times are written in the contract, every year. It's kind of like saying Christmas snuck up on them. I'd care more if I wanted some weeks and was trying to make plans, I sold mine back in Sept so I have no skin in the game to care.
"So and so is on vacation" is the common excuse here. Yet, one year they were able to contact people that were off and get their selections. I say skip them (per the contract) if they don't cooperate.

Re-Raise

6 weeks plus 1 option week.
In 710 we get 7 weeks at 30 years + 1 optional week.

I have 30 yrs in.

Pretty much the only thing we got added to the contract, after we voted it down the first time, is that they are going to start paying 50 hrs for all of our weeks by 2018.

Ghost in the Darkness

We got the same bid by the end of November b.s.. Not many take vacation Jan-April except around Easter/spring break. There aren't enough bidding on any one week causing conflict. Seems to me this is a company directive that is more about being d**ks than being prepared. So those who try to plan weeks around a child birth or wedding or trying to work out coinciding weeks with a spouse now have a difficult time.
You watch sups are still going to beg drivers to work on their vacations. I got the sob story in August... I just said have fun training.
This could be enforced in the new year to get it done in a timely manner instead of November when they should be focusing on peak which they are never prepared very well for.
Just another shining example that the company doesnt care about u or your family.

10 point

I would like to see the bidding process changed to a system of rounds.

Round 1----everyone chooses 2 weeks.

Round 2----everyone who has weeks left chooses 2 more.

Round 3----see above.

Selection process complete, everyone gets at least 2 of their preferred weeks, everyone is happy.
So you get 18-20 drivers off per week?

10 point

No one works on their vacation here unless they selected Pay Only for that week.
If they work on their time off vacation someone files on it and gets paid.

Rainman

Its all good.
This year, a driver retired that used to take the month of July off and another driver retires in 12 work days that used to take a bunch of summer weeks.

I am pretty excited to pick vacations this year. Last year, I had 3 summer weeks in a row. This year, I would like to do 2 weeks, work a week and do 2 more weeks.
I've done that for the past 6-7 years. You will definitely enjoy it. It takes a week just to unwind, the second week you actually start enjoy it more. Although, at the end of the second 2 weeks the wife made a comment about too much togetherness. After complaining most of the year about me never being home.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
I cant do that, taking all them weeks at 1 time. You do that then the rest of the year your all burned out feenin for some time off. Rule of thumb on this job is about 8 to 12 weeks and your body is screaming for some time off lol. I always take mine Feb, March, June, Sept, Oct, and Nov.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I cant do that, taking all them weeks at 1 time. You do that then the rest of the year your all burned out feenin for some time off. Rule of thumb on this job is about 8 to 12 weeks and your body is screaming for some time off lol. I always take mine Feb, March, June, Sept, Oct, and Nov.

What works for you may not work for others.

BrownChoice

Here we get 6 weeks vaca, 2 weeks optional. & 5 personal days., so 9 total when you hit 25 years. We also get about 4 hours per month in sick time added.

Matilda

Once again it's vacation selection time. Are full time hourlies and part time combined in the selection process? I was told they're separate and this year our sup is combining the two, which results in part timers not able to receive vacays they requested. I know the rate is 25% per area, but when combined with full timers the pickings are slim for the part timers. Please help I cannot find info in the contract.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Once again it's vacation selection time. Are full time hourlies and part time combined in the selection process? I was told they're separate and this year our sup is combining the two, which results in part timers not able to receive vacays they requested. I know the rate is 25% per area, but when combined with full timers the pickings are slim for the part timers. Please help I cannot find info in the contract.

Read your supplement.

The selection process should be separate.

upsbeernut

Sometimes i feel like a nut sometimes i dont
Here we get 6 weeks vaca, 2 weeks optional. & 5 personal days., so 9 total when you hit 25 years. We also get about 4 hours per month in sick time added.
I want that , we get six weeks and one option week divided into sick days, thats it Of course option 3