Vacation during Disability--need help

fbbothsides

Does anyone know if this is true: my insurance co. tells me my disability stops and then starts up again after my scheduled vacation. I changed the vacation but since you can't stop the vacation check from coming--the insurance claims I'm "already paid for that week and I can't collect from both".
I told them I will have a week off without pay when I actually take the vacation but they don't seem to care.

raceanoncr

Does anyone know if this is true: my insurance co. tells me my disability stops and then starts up again after my scheduled vacation. I changed the vacation but since you can't stop the vacation check from coming--the insurance claims I'm "already paid for that week and I can't collect from both".
I told them I will have a week off without pay when I actually take the vacation but they don't seem to care.

From my remembrance, you get paid even if on vac. Been awhile since I was on but I made sure to tell em, as you did, and they said it don't matter.

I could be mistaken cuz it has been awhile or the rules could have changed.

trickpony1

Vacation is something that is earned because you reported for work 156+ times last year.
You should get paid disability while on a scheduled vacation.
The insurance company will tell you anything they think you are stupid enough to believe if it will save them money.

fbbothsides

Vacation is something that is earned because you reported for work 156+ times last year.
You should get paid disability while on a scheduled vacation.
The insurance company will tell you anything they think you are stupid enough to believe if it will save them money.
Yeah---TP thats what I though too. Vacations are earned from the previous year. I guess I'll keep fighting the good fight.

Sammie

I worked for a UPS safety manager who cancelled work comp checks for the weeks the guys on comp were paid for pre arranged vacations. This made the safety guy look good on paper to those above him because he was saving the department $.

Then a new HR manager came into our district and told the safety guy to knock this off immediately because he was breaking state law. You the employee have already earned that vacation pay and you are not double dipping.

BCFan

In 2000 I was out 10 months and got all my vacation checks and the paltry W/C benefit ($350.00 week then).....:thumbup1: BC

8up

if an employee was working, and then went on vacation they would not be earning anything more than the paycheck they took with the vacation pay in it. that's why you don't get a check that first week back to work following a vacation. in my case, i've usually spent more the previous week while taking that vacation, the psycological pain there is so great (can i file disability for that?).
so, how is it not double dipping if an employee expects to get paid through comp. or disability while cashing in on the vacation pay. again, we don't earn any extra pay the week we take our vacations we're just cashing in on what we were entitled from last years reports (156+).
i have seen others move their vacation week or take the payout to cover the first lag week before the benefits kicked in.

fbbothsides

8 up--thx for the response. Now it's clear as mud. I wish someone could answer definitively. You bring up an interesting point---I think.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I got my vacation pay while I was out on Workmans Comp, not sure of the rules if you are out longer on disability.:wink: