Vacation Funny Business

PTPeanuts

I talked to my sup over 2 months ago about scheduling my vacation hours.
He was a fresh sup at the time so he got with the center manager who presumably went over the procedure with him. He came back to me with a sticky note full of weeks I could take and told me to select one. I did and the end.
Or was it?
Today when I was leaving he told me see ya Monday and I reminded him that I wouldn't be there b/c of my vacation. He kind of stared into empty space for a second and said I didn't have any vacation. I reminded him about our conversation 2 months ago and he said he'd get back with me.
Called me a few hours later and told me that I can't take those vacation days because they weren't written down on his calendar and that I did not fill out a time off request, and that the earliest I can now take is at the end of September (when volume is down)

Our volume is at peak levels and I get the feeling that I'm getting :censored2:ed over b/c they don't want me to have time off while volume is so high. This was my first time attempting to use vacation hours so I had no idea what the protocol was. I'm now being told that I'm the one who didn't do it right so I can't take vacation, even though there was apparently no issues back when I scheduled it.

So what do I do about this or am I just out of luck?

PTPeanuts

He dropped the ball obviously. I would go over his head to the center manager.

To be honest I already told him that I would come in on Monday because I thought he had me with the "you didn't fill out a time off request form so you can't take the days" line.
Again I don't know how this works so I don't know if that is B.S.or not.
Either way I do feel that what is happening is not fair since they didn't tell me to fill one out two months ago and everything was A-OK back then.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
Are you a supe ??
Because if your in the union , we pick by seniority, we don’t just pick what you want , you are at bottom of list you pick what’s left over !!
How long have you worked here ?
You need to be here a yr before you even get a vacation!

NTGhost

buddy, vacation are ALWAYS ONLY valid if written down. No exception. Even in worker wonderland Germany. So this counts double in the US

542thruNthru

Are you a supe ??
Because if your in the union , we pick by seniority, we don’t just pick what you want , you are at bottom of list you pick what’s left over !!

Depending on the area.

Here after all vacations are picked in the beginning of the year. After you can pick available weeks on a first come first served basis.

Last edited:

542thruNthru

I talked to my sup over 2 months ago about scheduling my vacation hours.
He was a fresh sup at the time so he got with the center manager who presumably went over the procedure with him. He came back to me with a sticky note full of weeks I could take and told me to select one. I did and the end.
Or was it?
Today when I was leaving he told me see ya Monday and I reminded him that I wouldn't be there b/c of my vacation. He kind of stared into empty space for a second and said I didn't have any vacation. I reminded him about our conversation 2 months ago and he said he'd get back with me.
Called me a few hours later and told me that I can't take those vacation days because they weren't written down on his calendar and that I did not fill out a time off request, and that the earliest I can now take is at the end of September (when volume is down)

Our volume is at peak levels and I get the feeling that I'm getting :censored2:ed over b/c they don't want me to have time off while volume is so high. This was my first time attempting to use vacation hours so I had no idea what the protocol was. I'm now being told that I'm the one who didn't do it right so I can't take vacation, even though there was apparently no issues back when I scheduled it.

So what do I do about this or am I just out of luck?

You may be SOL. Get with your steward and discuss it with him/her.

I hope you learned a lesson and always get the vacation in writing and keep a copy.

Are you a supe ??
We bid ours at the end of the year
Top guy picks first then they go down the seniority list.