Vacation not entered properly

OK, here's one that's probably unique...
On Jan 25th, I called in and asked if I could have that very week off (week ending Jan 30th)
I was told yes. I realize it's not the "traditional" way to do vacation weeks, but I had two medical/heath family issues. It was a desperate shot, but they granted me the week. I have done this before approx 5 times in my 12 years there and my vacation check always came in about a week. sometimes sooner. Well, my current full time sup never entered the week in to the system and as a result, I had 4 overdraft charges at $35 each. Let me explain... the account that my UPS check goes into is a specific purpose account. It is NOT linked to any of my other or wife's accounts.

Because I've never had a problem with direct deposit, I figured the monies were good. I'm part time, so the checks are not "driver like" lol
He said he forgot and avoided me last Monday when I tried to discuss. Overdraft charges happened on Tue and Wed. What actions can I take? Is he at fault?

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Whenever you ask somebody to do something "non-traditional" like this, first make sure that they follow through. Whenever I write my bills, it's my responsibility to make sure the funds are there to cover them.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Whenever you ask somebody to do something "non-traditional" like this, first make sure that they follow through. Whenever I write my bills, it's my responsibility to make sure the funds are there to cover them.
That's crazy talk Scratch, just look at the Federal Government!

Indecisi0n

You agreed to breaking the rules and taking vacation out of turn so nothing you can do.

Stop living pay check to paycheck. Me I would take the week non paid and be happy with it.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Whoa there, Princess. I had a similar situation a few weeks ago.....I had to take a week off at the last minute...so I called my center manager at the beginning of the week I took off...and asked him to pay me out for my personal days so I'd get a check the following week....and he did.

But writing checks blindly and never checking your bank account to see if your direct deposit was actually deposited (which you can do from your phone) is YOUR fault and your negligence. You've worked here 12 years....you should know better....Grow up.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Even if it was a "normal" vacation, scheduled the proper way, UPS is not liable for any overdraft charges. That is all on you.

It is your responsibility to know that you have sufficient funds in your bank account to cover any checks or payments.

UPS is only liable for possible penalty pay if it was a payroll error. You will probably not get any penalty pay on this either. They have time to correct the issue once you inform them of the shortage before you get penalty pay.

wayfair

swollen member
OK, here's one that's probably unique...
On Jan 25th, I called in and asked if I could have that very week off (week ending Jan 30th)
I was told yes. I realize it's not the "traditional" way to do vacation weeks, but I had two medical/heath family issues. It was a desperate shot, but they granted me the week. I have done this before approx 5 times in my 12 years there and my vacation check always came in about a week. sometimes sooner. Well, my current full time sup never entered the week in to the system and as a result, I had 4 overdraft charges at $35 each. Let me explain... the account that my UPS check goes into is a specific purpose account. It is NOT linked to any of my other or wife's accounts.

Because I've never had a problem with direct deposit, I figured the monies were good. I'm part time, so the checks are not "driver like" lol
He said he forgot and avoided me last Monday when I tried to discuss. Overdraft charges happened on Tue and Wed. What actions can I take? Is he at fault?

so how do you check your balance??? at the ATM??

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
Consider also setting up an overdraft account for just this situation. That way you're only liable for an interest charge, similar to a credit card. Probably would have cost less than $5 in total charges.

herbigharo32

You should call your bank and opt out of overdraft service then link your account to credit card or savings. This way charges are declined at point of sales and auto drafts are declined rather than honored. The only thing you will worry about on overdrafts are checks. Overdraft protection linked to another account will protect you should a check is presented as NSF. Overdrafts are pretty easy to avoid if you opt out, write very few checks, then link account for overdraft protection.