Vacation Question

old brown shoe

30 year driver
Do you have to work until your seniorty date to get all your weeks off ? If you retire before that date do you loose your vacations ? I have looked in the contract but find nothing. I can leave at any time but have not made up my mind yet on when to go , but don't want to burn myself by leaving when I could work a little longer to get my vacations.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
maybe this only works in ENE, but when someone retires here on the last working day in Dec. they automatically get all their vacation weeks for the next coming year. How that for a severance check ?

drewed

Shankman
ive heard of people waiting till their seniority date then using it as their last 3 weeks (or how many you have) of work

brownrodster

I've heard of guys taking like 12 or more straight weeks of vacation and retiring at the end. take the 6 weeks before you seniority day and the 6 weeks after for a magical 12 weeks off straight. Or 14 I guess if you have that much built up.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Most of our retirees leave 1 January, thereby getting their 6 weeks of vacation and personal and sick time, which is why their areas are not put up for bid until all of this time has passed, just in case the driver does change his mind and wants to come back. To date, we have not had one single driver ever come back. Imagine that!

IWorkAsDirected

Outa browns on 04/30/09
It took me several months and I had to talk to 5 different people before I got this answer a few years ago. You actually accrue your vacation time 1/12 every month so if you retire before your senority date you should get that paid out. They WILL try to screw you out of it by saying that you have not earned it until your senority date. I know of several that this has happened to.

I am in Western Conference so it's possible it's different elsewhere I dont know. I had planned to retire early about 6 years ago and went to alot of trouble to get this question answered, but I got divorced instead and I will retire with full pension next year. I am eligible the end of March, but my senority date is in April, so I'll stay (probably) so I won't have to fight about it, April is nice weather and the Union said I wouldn't get a check til May anyway as UPS doesn't get the info to them for that quarter til April anyway.