Vacation Switching

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Side question:

Where you are at, does a "working option week" vacation count towards the max number off per week?

Here it does for some reason. Which is stupid if you ask me. What what else is stupid is drivers taking prime weeks when they plan on working it.
Yes because technically that person has a right to the days off should they want or need them.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Side question:

Where you are at, does a "working option week" vacation count towards the max number off per week?

Here it does for some reason. Which is stupid if you ask me. What what else is stupid is drivers taking prime weeks when they plan on working it.
The driver that worked through their vacation should be placed at the lowest senority rung during that week, as all another drivers are scheduled to work, he/she is not. If the center enforced this, drivers selecting prime weeks and then working through them, disallowing lower drivers the opportunity to use them, would cease. This has been greived and won.

Brownslave688

The driver that worked through their vacation should be placed at the lowest senority rung during that week, as all another drivers are scheduled to work, he/she is not. This has been greived and won.
This past year has kind of taken care of the problem but I remember plenty of previous years managment begging people to work their vacations because of staffing problems.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
This past year has kind of taken care of the problem but I remember plenty of previous years managment begging people to work their vacations because of staffing problems.
And that's why it continues to happen. The Mesters need to consider how they effect their brothers and sisters when this happens. Self policing the contract is everyone's job, not just the steward.

Brownslave688

And that's why it continues to happen. The Mesters need to consider how they effect their brothers and sisters when this happens. Self policing the contract is everyone's job, not just the steward.

Yep just had a guy work a few weeks ago on a week that was full of vacation. "So I can afford to take Friday's off to go to baseball tournaments all summer." He coaches his kids travel baseball team. Don't even get me started on that.

Anyway even the steward told him you've got 2 weeks to use as single days plus 2 option days then another 4-5 weeks of vacation. How in the hell can't you work that out to make it to where you need to be?

Last edited:

rod

Retired 22 years
The trouble starts with prime summer weeks that lower seniority drivers can't get. Switch with a lower seniority driver and those above start the hissy fitting.

Really, that week should go in seniority order. If no one wants it, go ahead and trade.

Being that my center was in the frozen wastelands employees wanted winter weeks off to get the hell out of here. The low seniority crowd soon realized that come January and February, when it got brutal cold, it was usually no problem finding someone with an extra "warm" week to trade with. That way the low guy got a week off in summer and the old guy got to head to Florida on the spur of the moment. It worked for us but then again we were a tight group and we all got along.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
image.jpg

Article 60 Southern Supplement.

Overpaid Union Thug

One thing that a lot of you forget, bsed on your supplement, is the amount of slots available. It's outlined in the Southern Supplement Art 61 that a certain number of slots must be made available based on the amount of employees, even making more weeks available during prime months.

Now, one may say that's great, but what the contract fails to address is the amount of vacations each employee has. If your senority list has 75% of employees at 25+ years of service, well obviously the amount of vacation week each employee has is a lot more on average, which the contract doesn't address.

This is where picking vacations and adhering to the contract on selection is vital. In a center of 130 drivers where the top 80 have 4 weeks plus, this presents a problem.

Another thing that isn't addressed is the cover driver (pt employee for driver coverage) selection. As a PT employee they should be bidding with their inside selection. Now, obviously, these guys are going to be on the top of the PT senority list, and will pick the prime weeks. As such during the time of the year where they are needed most, they are on vacation, creating a large void to fill.

Just something for you guys to think about next time you think switching doesn't effect anyone.

In the Southern Supplement TCDs have to pick their vacations with the drivers. My center didn't start enforcing that until the year I became a TCD. I was pissed. LOL!

Overpaid Union Thug

View attachment 25416
Article 60 Southern Supplement.

Notice that it says "However, the employee must notify the employer during September of each year of this request." We've had the problem where some drivers think that they can pick a vacation week and then work that week by saying they sold it back. WRONG! That's not how it's supposed to work and it's crystal clear. But some people think they can do whatever they want. It's pathetic.