Vacations

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
What are some of your all time favorite vacation places. You know, the ones that you would love to go back to again and again.
One of my favorites was San Juan Capistrano. I'm sure I will be adding Puerto Vallarta to the list.

john346

No more Brown!
Just returned from a quick trip to Arches national park. I arrived Monday afternoon, got in about 9.5 miles of hiking & a ton of sights / pictures. Camped out near an off the path arch off of the park. Then Tuesday got in about another 8 miles of hiking, sightseeing.
Over all, I logged about 18 miles in two days on that leg! Yep, thats an x-ray of me. Tuesday was big as I started at sunrise, & was the last one off of the mountain at Delicate arch in the dark at 11. Wednseday am found me back on the road for home a 7.5 hour drive.
It was a short one, but really neat & I know I'll be back. But favorites are always in Mexico! Here's a picture of the Delicate arch at dusk I took Tuesday night, if you click on it, you can see it a little better.
delicatearch.jpg

helenofcalifornia

What happened to your leg? And are you in feeders or package? I can't believe you can hike that much without a ton of ice on your whole leg after!!! Geez, that's alot of titanium!!

looper804

Is it time to go home yet
Just came back from Cancun.Time stands still there.Perfect weather every day.Get an all-inclusive deal.The prices are very reasonible.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I am leaving this morning to go on an East Caribbean cruise.:happy-very: I will turn 50 Tuesday in St. Thomas, VI. My wife has never been on a cruise and we will celebrate 25 years of tolerating each other. I like Hawaii, been there three times. But I love the outdoors the most, I think Yellowstone was one of my favorites and I want to go back there again.

Sorry to miss the Mothers Day rush at work today!

john346

No more Brown!
What happened to your leg? And are you in feeders or package? I can't believe you can hike that much without a ton of ice on your whole leg after!!! Geez, that's alot of titanium!!
I took a spill on a mountain bike, I had the old sytle toe baskets on the pedals, & it was raining pretty hard, I made a too fast right turn & you know how you dont get as wet when you go really fast part of physics (seemed right to me at the time).
I touched the front brake just a bit to slow down in the turn, the front tire kicked out to the left, but I couldnt get my right foot out of the basket to catch my fall. The femur shattered like glass, The dr said I'd always have a limp, & listed a lot of activities that I wouldnt be able to do anymore, including a driver. I just wasn't ready for that, so I did phsyical therapy at home sometimes 5 times a day (daytime television really sux). When thought I'd healed up enough and ready, I pestered the dr to remove the pin that went into my hip, and viola! 7 months & 2 weeks later I was back at the same old job as a driver. I still have & always will have the big rod inside the femur, but no limp, I still can run, rock climb, mountain climb, ski, mountain & dirt bike, and breeze through airports, so life is really back to norms.
A year later a buddy of mine climed & skied right off the summit of a local 11,000' mtn, I sent the doc a pic of that, just to show him what a great job he did. Two weeks later did another 10,800' mtn the same way. All back to normal, except after this last vacation, I noticed it took me a day (yesterday) just to rest up, but I attribute that one to getting older. That's the 11,000' summit ready to ski (me on the right). Just goes to show that if you have it in your head that your not ready, then you will find the path.
IMG_0818.jpg

IWorkAsDirected

Outa browns on 04/30/09
I don't care where I go on vacation, I always have fun and an adventure. Probably have alot of adventures because I want to experience all I can and I'm not shy or afraid to try whatever.

The last few years I've spent a few weeks in central and south America I really liked Costa Rica, it has well preserved rain forests and tons of wildlife. Quito Ecuador is wonderful, perfect weather and beautiful colonial city. The Galapagos Islands are unique and intriguing. This year I'm going to visit the Mayan ruins in Guatemala, Honduras, and El Salvador, then spend a few days in Belize.

After I retire next year I'll have had a taste of alot of places, be somewhat familiar and able to go back and experience more of these places, in fact I'm seriously thinking of buying a place in Costa Rica and living there part time.

In the US, I take a tent camping trip every year always to northeast Montana and Northern California. After I cross that Idaho-Montana border I totally relax it's marvelous, no traffic and beautiful views.

My very favorite place in the US is Glacier National Park, not too crowded and tons and tons of hiking trails. I love to go to the Many Glacier area and watch grizzlies (from a distance with a spotting scope) If you want to see bears this is where you need to go take Iceberg Lake trail, that is spectacular.

Average at Best

Munich, Germany. Spent half the week doing touristy stuff - castles, concentration camps, drank beer under chestnut trees. Spent the other half hiking in the Alps. Gorgeous views, even on a cloudy day.

ImpactedTSG

Montego Bay, Jamacia was my favorite. Everyone spoke English and the reggae was very good.

Punta Cana was ok, but it sucked not being able to fluently speak Spanish. I guess I should avoid Miami for the same reason.

feeder53

ADKtrails
My Camp on Brant Lake, ADK High peak hikes, Lake Champlain, Lake Placid......They are all close to home and I do mini-vacations as I work in two places.

helenofcalifornia

Is the high price of gas gonna effect (affect??) anyone's vacation plans this year? I find that I now think about driving down to LA whereas before I just jumped in the car and took off down 101. And I have heard on the news that it might be up to $5 a gallon by the end of the year.

browniehound

I'm going to exclude the tropical islands, Florida, Hawaii, Mexico, S. CA., and Vegas because everyone knows about them already.

I like to go camping in Rangely Maine. Its about 5 hours from Boston and the land is still prestine. I value this because being from the city I never experienced how nice the environment SHOULD BE.

I love it. Very few people. Lakes and woods everywhere, and more peace and quiet to last you a lifetime. There is very little liter and more fishing spots than I do stops in a day at work!

Its truly God's country.

browniehound

Is the high price of gas gonna effect (affect??) anyone's vacation plans this year? I find that I now think about driving down to LA whereas before I just jumped in the car and took off down 101. And I have heard on the news that it might be up to $5 a gallon by the end of the year.

Hey Helen, Gas prices are going to AFFECT my desicion on what I do this year. My beloved place in Maine will now cost 60 bucks to get there and back. I would do it several times a year when gas was under 2 bucks, but now I will only do it a couple times per year.

I guess these are the EFFECTS of gas prices being near $4 per gallon:wink2:

tieguy

Banned
Hey Helen, Gas prices are going to AFFECT my desicion on what I do this year. My beloved place in Maine will now cost 60 bucks to get there and back. I would do it several times a year when gas was under 2 bucks, but now I will only do it a couple times per year.

I guess these are the EFFECTS of gas prices being near $4 per gallon:wink2:

No reason for gas to be this high. Boycott the vacation resorts or keep it to short trips. Lets put the sqeeze on the oil barons. :whiteflag: