Vehicle Washer?

THECowboy

Hey, I was looking into jobs at UPS. I saw the local UPS station in NJ was hiring Package Handlers, Driver Helper's, and Vehicle Washers. I was leaning towards Vehicle Washers because the Job Overview states I work afternoons/eveings and that would work out great between college and my other job. I was just wondering if anyone had any input on this position? I figure I can work at UPS and not kill my back so I can work my job as well.

rngri4

Hey, I was looking into jobs at UPS. I saw the local UPS station in NJ was hiring Package Handlers, Driver Helper's, and Vehicle Washers. I was leaning towards Vehicle Washers because the Job Overview states I work afternoons/eveings and that would work out great between college and my other job. I was just wondering if anyone had any input on this position? I figure I can work at UPS and not kill my back so I can work my job as well.

You will wash trucks...there is your input, what else do you really need to know. Take a big wand, soap it up, then wash it off.

rod

Retired 22 years
You will learn that you don't really know how to wash a vehicle. There is a right way a wrong way and the ups way.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I hope that he can wash a truck better than our Carwash. My P7 went three weeks recently without getting washed, usually it gets washed once a week. The Package Cars parked inside get washed every night. Mine is parked outside, its loaded out of a PDU. I had to get my Supervisor to write the Carwash a note to get it done. I was also out of washer fluid, I wrote that up on my DVIR and that took three weeks also. Customers used to come up to me and say, "I hear UPS washes their trucks every night". I haven't heard that in years.:ohmy:

rngri4

You will learn that you don't really know how to wash a vehicle. There is a right way a wrong way and the ups way.

Amen, and when it's done the UPS way, it looks just as dirty most times as it did the day before.

Amurion

I just recently started working at UPS, I had been doing well in the small sort until I was told I was going to be washing trucks a few days ago. I was shown the video and then expected to start washing trucks. Well, they aren't getting clean, I have been trying my darndest, rinsing, soaping, rinsing again. But all it seems to do is make the dirt worse and my supervisor mad. After getting mad at me a few times (by just yelling at me, expecting me to do better and then walking off) I finally was able to get her to tell me how she expects the trucks to be washed. Well, it was the same thing that I had been doing, so the trucks are still dirty, my supervisor still not happy and I am getting fed up with not being trained properly. Is it within my rights to ask her to personally show me how she expects the trucks to be washed? If anyone has any advice on how to keep this situation from exploding and tips on washing the trucks I would aprreciate it.

CharlestonMule

Charleston Mule
Just curious, but were you at another position and then YOU ASKED to be moved to another position? Were you having a tough time lifting some of the boxes or was there some reason You wanted/needed to change to another position. Did you just maybe you want a change?
Like I said just wondering! Hope it gets better for you. At least they're not white!!!! LOL...................................................MULE
Good Luck!

Amurion

Sorry about the confusion, no, I did not ask to be moved to the washing position, I was asked to move there by my supervisor, the guy that was doing it didn't like it and I am the lowest in seniority. So, I guess being asked wasn't the right word, but being told to go wash trucks would be more appropriate. I was perfectly happy where I was in small sort.

raceanoncr

Yes, how true. Unfortunately, the wrong way is synonymous with the UPS way.

Try using the VWA? "Vehicle Wash Agent"? No soap here anymore. We have to be EPA conscious. Even tho "Dawn" dishwashing soap is biodegradable and REALLY cut dirt, can't use the regular consumer products anymore. WE have to be cutting edge, and not on the dirt!

helenofcalifornia

Who the heck is getting their trucks washed anymore?? If our trucks are washed more than once a month, we are very, very, very lucky. I don't know what carwash does anymore with their time, but it's not washing trucks.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Who the heck is getting their trucks washed anymore?? If our trucks are washed more than once a month, we are very, very, very lucky. I don't know what carwash does anymore with their time, but it's not washing trucks.

My Hub doesn't wash much anymore due to only letting the Carwashers work 3.5 hours a night. A couple of months ago, Hampton, Ga, was moved into my Hub along with Atlanta Motor Speedway. We have had a new P700 Hybrid-Electric Package Car sitting there a couple of days that is now on display at the Racetrack. I heard that the District Automotive Manager got mad because it wasn't being washed, waxed, and detailed. Hell, they don't even wash mine, I don't know why they expect to wash that one too. It should be filthy just like the rest of ours.:closedeye

Big Babooba

I used to be a car washer back in the mid 80's. Car wash is hard on the hands in the winter. I used Bag Balm to treat the cracked skin on my hands. Also you can expect to be pulled of the car wash to help out in the local sort.:tongue_sm

teamsterdan

"raceanoncr" is right on it's "VWA"......I'm a friend/t 22.3 pre-load/feeder wash combo and I honestly hope those of you taking shots @ us "wash monkey's" are kidding.....we get the same kind of pressure to wash more, or better....you'll never win.....remind the driver they aren't taking the vehicle to the auto show.......I have resorted to buying my own wash equipment...no complaints here.....gotta learn to do "8 -N- skate"..........

Amurion

It doesn't seem that just using water from the brush wand works any better than using soap and water. I tried that and i got yelled at. I tried rinsing soaping and rinsing again, and I am sure that didn't work, so when I go back on Tuesday I will be getting yelled at and discplinary actions will be taken, even though I have no idea how to make things better. I just feel bad dumping 110% into my washing job and then essentially being told that I am worthless. Sorry for the rant, I am just frustrated.

FromBluetoBrown

When I was in the Navy we used to have to wash our jets off every day to keep the salt from building up and corroding the parts. Most of the time we just waited till a rainshower was in the area and turn the ship into it.