veterans day ...? do we report to work on this holiday ? package loaders

W

westsideworma

this is indeed a working holiday if it falls during the week, but you get paid 4 hrs just for showing up and then whatever you work that day is paid at time and a half (at least here in Worcester, MA). If it falls on a weekend then you just get the 4 hrs of holiday pay. If you haven't made seniority (and you may have, I'm just saying in general) I'm not sure how it works because it was 3 years ago for me (I was hired in around this time). I know by contract I didn't get the 4 hrs holiday pay, but I can't remember if I got time and a half or not for hours worked.

raceanoncr

Check your Supplemental Agreement language in you contract book. You DO have a book, don't you?

In Central Region supplement, it states:

"A regular seniority employee shall not be required to work on the following eight (8) named holidays..." and Veterans Day is not one of them. It is business as usual on this day, which is always observed on Mondays following an edict many years ago from the priest of holiday observations.

In other words, in Central Region, you don't get no day off, you don't get no extra pay, you don't get nuttin but what you actually put in.

Cementups

Box Monkey
We only get 7 major holidays off

New Year's Day
Memorial Day
July 4th
Labor Day
Thanksgiving
Christmas Day
New Year's Eve

am I missing one here?!?!?

Big Babooba

Check your Supplemental Agreement language in you contract book. You DO have a book, don't you?

In Central Region supplement, it states:

"A regular seniority employee shall not be required to work on the following eight (8) named holidays..." and Veterans Day is not one of them. It is business as usual on this day, which is always observed on Mondays following an edict many years ago from the priest of holiday observations.

In other words, in Central Region, you don't get no day off, you don't get no extra pay, you don't get nuttin but what you actually put in.
In the New England Supplement, Veteran's Day, Columbus Day and the day after Thanksgiving are paid holidays. If you are required to work on those days, you are paid for the holiday (8 hrs - friend/t & 4 hrs P/T) plus time and a half for all hours worked. I'd rather have the time off.

raceanoncr

In the New England Supplement, Veteran's Day, Columbus Day and the day after Thanksgiving are paid holidays. If you are required to work on those days, you are paid for the holiday (8 hrs - friend/t & 4 hrs P/T) plus time and a half for all hours worked. I'd rather have the time off.

I'm moving to New England. I want the pay for holidays and I want the time off.

W

westsideworma

yea so theres work tommorrow im assuming ? but is it reg. pay or is it time and a half or what .... Im pretty new to this lol

it depends where you are. In new england PTimers get paid for 4 hrs (the holiday pay) and then time and a half for all hours worked. you may only get straight time where you are. Its all in what the regional supplements dictate. If you tell us what area of the country you work in, we would be better able to help you.

rod

Retired 22 years
unless things have changed since I retireed you have to remember that although the USPS seems to get a lot more days off I don't believe they get the friday after Thanksgiving or New Years Eve off. And they also work 6 days a week.

ncamara

unless things have changed since I retireed you have to remember that although the USPS seems to get a lot more days off I don't believe they get the friday after Thanksgiving or New Years Eve off. And they also work 6 days a week.

Actually, they usually only work 5 days a week. It's just that they have one of those 6 days off, in rotation.