virtual time study

Pkgrunner

Till I Collapse
In order to get me to 102, I received a cut from the route next door. Those 12 stops were in a rural area that were at the far edges of that delivery area, picture another glove. I figured 1.5-2 hours to pound those stops off.

Our dispatcher uses that same 20/20 dispatch(as we like to call it). 20 stops of suburban track homes or 20 stops of rural back-country its all the same in the eyes of Edd.

Pkgrunner

Till I Collapse
That WAS funny Grunt!!!

We had one of them thar virtual time studies and every single one of our routes lost time and gained stops. What are the odds? You would think if they wanted us to believe some of the stuff they tell us, that at least some of the routes would have gained time, but no.

The older I get, the odder UPS gets.
Its funny you say that: Our virtual studies were recently implemented and all the routes with little or no walks gained time, while all the routes with gates and long driveways lost a ton of time...They used only the diad GPS info and the "undisputably accurate" Google maps since we are not on telematics yet...
But I must say: loosing over an hour allowance in an area where the allowance was marginal already is totally motivating....

satellitedriver

I figured 1.5-2 hours to pound those stops off.

For 12 stops?[/QUOTE]
Oh, hell yeah.
On my route, 3 deliveries can take over an hour.

In certain "condensed" rural areas I can pop of 12 to 16 per hr.
If I get 4 stops for all of the compass points of my route the day will be 2hrs longer.
60 stops was an 8hr day for the last 25yrs.
I am now dipatched with 95 to 114 stops every day.
The new time study has only done two things for me.
1st,
2hrs allowance were taken away.
2nd,
Instead of being a bonus driver, I now am 1hr over allowed driver each day and make 12 to 15hrs OT every week.
The funny thing is that my SPORH is higher than it has ever been.
So, 12 stops can easily equate to 2hrs on a rural route.

barnyard

KTM rider
Does ups provide you with a cellphone?
Could you have accomplished this sending text messages via the diad?
You should've called the center from a customers phone and made it pretzelmans problem.
Otherwise this will never be fixed.

I did call the center. I gave them 2 hours to fix it. When they did not. I did. I could have left it sit, but I came up with a solution and it was faster for me to do than to let them figure it out. Plus, they probably would not have thought of my solution, plus if I had let it go, the driver that helped me would have left the area and had to drive back. I like the guys that I work with and I was not going to stick another driver.

barnyard

KTM rider
Our dispatcher uses that same 20/20 dispatch(as we like to call it). 20 stops of suburban track homes or 20 stops of rural back-country its all the same in the eyes of Edd.

Thursday, I had the exact same number of stops, but had a perfect dispatch. She cannot figure out the difference, even with while showing her a map and describing what she was doing. Once a week or so, either me or one of the guys next to me has a perfect 'paper dispatch', but needs help to stay under 12 hours.

barnyard

KTM rider
Picture a glove, I ran up the finger to deliver, then back down and up the next for the next stop. I broke trace at 940 and punched off my last NDA at 1020. At 1020, I had 14 stops off.

I'm not being a smartace, but couldn't you run that trace like a mitten instead?

Nope. Have to work with the roads and bridges that I have (I deliver on both sides of the Mississippi river.) I had 2 stops that were 200ish yards apart, yet were about 5 miles of driving between the 2. One on the east side of the river, another on the west side. The only stops I had on the west side of the river were air stops. I delivered my last air stop and drove 5 miles to my next ground stop (the start of my route).

Friday was an example of a day where a 90ish stop day would have been a smart dispatch. Thursday, 105 was a good dispatch.

barnyard

KTM rider
I figured 1.5-2 hours to pound those stops off.

For 12 stops?[/QUOTE]
Oh, hell yeah.
On my route, 3 deliveries can take over an hour.
If I get 4 stops for all of the compass points of my route the day will be 2hrs longer.

We refer to that as a 'glove day.' You have to run all the way to the tip and down to get to the next stop. Somedays, you can run rurals in a perfect loop, others you just get effed and there is no way to run them fast. Those days suck.