W2 Info is Wrong

canon

Funny how people here are more eager to be of assistance to someone who recognizes her legal rights as a taxpayer. All of a sudden, two people spring from cyberspace to defend the honor of payroll! One wants to know who she talked with, the other claims there is no Tim in Ohio.

If UPS has done nothing wrong, they should welcome a former employee receiving the appropriate assistance she deserves. And since nobody feels helpful, that assistance comes in the form of an IRS investigation.

All should be happy, no? I love it when a plan comes together.

tieguy

Banned
Funny how people here are more eager to be of assistance to someone who recognizes her legal rights as a taxpayer. All of a sudden, two people spring from cyberspace to defend the honor of payroll! One wants to know who she talked with, the other claims there is no Tim in Ohio.

If UPS has done nothing wrong, they should welcome a former employee receiving the appropriate assistance she deserves. And since nobody feels helpful, that assistance comes in the form of an IRS investigation.

All should be happy, no? I love it when a plan comes together.

I agree with you my brother and I hope you are the first the IRS calls.

I respect your support of the IRS and I hope you are the first they call for an audit. In fact you should contact them and request an audit.

canon

I agree with you my brother and I hope you are the first the IRS calls.

I respect your support of the IRS and I hope you are the first they call for an audit. In fact you should contact them and request an audit.
I'm glad we are in agreement. As much as I would welcome an audit, I don't want to be an unnecessary burden on the IRS. They already have enough on their plate chasing down businesses who don't want to work with ex-employees to resolve simple withholding mistakes. I wouldn't feel right standing in the way of someone getting the money that is rightfully, and legally, theirs.

Finally, we agree.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Had a problem a couple years ago when UPS sent me a revised W2 after I had already filed my taxes. Seems they forgot to include some disabilty payments for that year. Just sent me the W2 Next Day Air with no explanation. Took some talking to the boss, getting Ohio's number, calling them to get the scoop, getting the Union involved. Had to refile my taxes and UPS payed for my accountant to the tune of 80 bucks. When I first called Ohio the guy was amazed that someone gave out their number (my center mgr). You can't call here he said. I said, we work for the same company don't we? Good luck. BM

steffieup

First of all UPSMOM you need to do better than that to p*** me off.

Secondly...I'm not defending anyone. I just don't like to see people falsely accused and UPSMOM knows what I mean. If not try calling extension 2219 again.

Everybody is quick to tell her to run to the IRS. It is not against the law to have an incorrect W2.

Bozo's....if UPS goes under where do you think you'll be? I left a year ago and things on the outside are not as good as I thought they would be. So if you have problems suck it up and work through them. There are 300,000+ people at UPS I know at least one can help...think about it

trickpony1

There are 300,000+ people at UPS I know at least one can help...think about it.

I have thought about it.

Trying to find that ONE person can be a long and arduous task because, you see, no one wants to be responsible, they would rather pass the buck.

"....what do you want me to do about it?", "I'll get back with you", "it's out of my hands", "I don't know" are common responses I get when I express a concern or have a problem.

No one in a position of responsibility or stature wants to stick their neck out to help a lowly hourly worker. Perhaps the poster with the incorrect W-2 has encountered some of these people that get paid alot to not know anything?

canon

First of all UPSMOM you need to do better than that to p*** me off.

Secondly...I'm not defending anyone. I just don't like to see people falsely accused and UPSMOM knows what I mean. If not try calling extension 2219 again.

Everybody is quick to tell her to run to the IRS. It is not against the law to have an incorrect W2.

Bozo's....if UPS goes under where do you think you'll be? I left a year ago and things on the outside are not as good as I thought they would be. So if you have problems suck it up and work through them. There are 300,000+ people at UPS I know at least one can help...think about it
You're right, possessing an incorrect w2 is not against the law. A company refusing to fix one *is*.

And I think you're being a bit mellowdramatic to suggest UPS might "go under" if employees start demanding accurate earnings statements. Possibly (in the worst case scenario) there might be a mass suicide in the payroll department when they find out they've dishonored the company... but I doubt we'll go bankrupt over this lady getting her W2 fixed.

Sorry steffieup, but your post really grabbed my attention. You claim to be a former payroll employee yourself, and ironically your attitude seems to reflect the same reluctance to finding a resolution as she encountered on the phone. Are you suggesting she just takes one for the team and forgets it? Suck it up and work thru it as you say, even after she listed the extensions and problems trying to do just that? It's her money, her contributions, and her right as a taxpayer to take things to the next level if ANY company gives her the run around concerning HER w2.

What is the next level you ask? Here it is, seems fair to me. Looks to me like payroll gets another opportunity to be helpful. Won't be a problem for helpful people, eh?

IRS FAQ Website said:
I received an incorrect W-2 form. I can't get my former employer to issue a corrected W-2? What should I do?

If your attempts to have an incorrect Form W-2 (PDF) corrected by your employer are unsuccessful and it is after February 15th, contact the IRS at (800) 829-1040. An IRS representative can initiate a Form W-2 (PDF) complaint. Form 4598, Form W-2 or 1099 Not Received or Incorrect, will be sent to the employer and a copy will be sent to you along with Form 4852 (PDF), Substitute for Form W-2, Wage and Tax Statement, or Form 1099-R, Distributions from Pensions, Annuities, Retirement or Profit-Sharing Plans, IRAs, Insurance Contracts, etc. The copy that the employer receives will advise him or her of the employer's responsibilities to provide a correct Form W-2 (PDF) and of the penalties for failure to do so. When you call the IRS or visit an IRS Taxpayer Assistance Center (TAC), please have the following information available:

Your employer's name and complete address, including zip code, employer identification number (if known - see prior year's Form W-2 (PDF) if you worked for the same employer), and telephone number,
Your name, address, including zip code, social security number, and telephone number; and
An estimate of the wages you earned, the federal income tax withheld, and the period you worked for that employer. The estimate should be based on year-to-date information from your final pay stub or leave-and-earnings statement, if possible.
If you file your return and attach Form 4852 (PDF) to support the withholding amount claimed instead of a Form W-2 (PDF), your refund can be delayed while the information you gave us is verified.

If you receive a Form W-2 (PDF) after you file your return and it does not agree with the income or withheld tax you reported on your return, file an amended return on Form 1040X (PDF), Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return.
Source: http://www.irs.gov/faqs/faq-kw204.html