Wage Progression/Seniority Question

UPSGUY72

When I was a casual you had to have 36 days in a quarter to get benefits for the following quarter. Why wouldn't this policy extend to pay increases? How fair would it be that an employee who works only one or two days a month get the same pay raises that an employee who works every day does?

In my area you have work 150 or 160 hr in one month then you are good for the next 6 .

gostillerz

Here's a small update that's kind of related.

For my 2 weeks vacation, I was told I'm probably getting around $100 for both weeks since I didn't work much. My on-car pulled up my attendance record, and it listed 110 days layoff and 30 call-ins. I asked the local sort sups what that meant, and they said "layoff are the days you call in and they don't need you, and call-ins are when you're not needed". They looked at the codes and got confused too. Here's why I'm angry. I never get a layoff notice. I call in 6 days a week at 7am to see if I'm driving. If I'm not, I call in 5 days a week at 4pm to see if I'm working local sort. If I'm on call everyday, twice a day, that's not a layoff because it prevents me from getting another job.

So, I'm on call from 7am-10pm 6 days a week, yet make less than when I was working preload while 2 guys under me DQ'ed themselves, and have a stable schedule but still drive if they're asked that day.

Last edited:

upsman2940

The days worked only apply to rtd. The Ft seniority date starts your progression although you get credit for weeks worked as an rtd. We have a driver that has only driven to qualify, and ran nov/dec last three years. No rtd and just got off the phone with him he is at top pay. Works preload/ reload everyday.

gostillerz

My center has 25 routes, but has 10 reg/temps where probably 6 drive every day, the rest call in like I do. I'm under the impression that they're trying to see what they can get away with without someone filing a grievance.

Simple example: For local sort we'd have and unloader, scanner and loader. Seniority picked what job they wanted. Now, they make everyone take turns. The guy ahead of me told them "**** off, I'm not going in a trailer, fire me" so they just let him unload. Another one said I can't work Mondays, another only works winter months. I'm tired of this crap.

Is it even worth going to my local and talking to them?

gostillerz

The days worked only apply to rtd. The Ft seniority date starts your progression although you get credit for weeks worked as an rtd. We have a driver that has only driven to qualify, and ran nov/dec last three years. No rtd and just got off the phone with him he is at top pay. Works preload/ reload everyday.

This was my 3rd peak driving, and I just got raised to $18.45 2 weeks ago. I'm a year behind in pay to someone who started 2 months before me.

upsman2940

Grievance yes article 48. Pay penalties are out the window cuz it is untimely but back pay is due. Go to work on time and demand 8 hours.

upsman2940

You are not gonna get 3 years of pay penalty for being too stupid not to realize that the company was bending u over. Good luck

menotyou

bella amicizia
All I know is the former Brooklawn manager, who is now the Labor sup for this area, sat at the picnic table at Watertown and I showed him what I was owed. He verified and called for the check to be cut then and there. It was 2.5 years of incorrectly coded back pay. The gravy was the double pay and, yes, I received the contractually agreed upon penalty.

Last edited: