Walked off the job today!!!!

Hate 150lb Packages

So I've been a Ground driver for a bit now... I've put up with the bull :censored2: day in and day out. I've watched people come and go and some have become close friends. Everyone ends up hating this cesspool. I've seen some pretty fishy stuff... Scanner time violations (I've fraudulently logged my scanner times every day this week)... vehicles in poor condition... packages thrown and smashed into oblivion... people getting into fistfights... "driver releasing" those empty DirecTV boxes that are bad addresses into the trash can... A contractor who lies to his employees and treats us like animals... I've put up with it all because I do actually enjoy the job, and it's just a means to an end.... But today was the worst. The story I will tell you is 100% TRUE.

So today started normal, with a heavy load. I am usually in a Sprinter, which is plenty of room for me. It needed some work done and it couldn't wait... so I ended up in the POS spare.. which is a small cargo van. I've only driven this piece a few times.. It is similar in operation and appearance to Jim Carrey's dog cleaning van on Dumb and Dumber...

Anyway, early this morning, I was approaching a daily bulk stop at a school's food distribution warehouse. This is a pretty happening place, and it's not uncommon to run into FDX Freight, UPS, sometimes Express, and other freight companies... There's about 5 or 6 docks, and there's usually only one open. I was pulling in and the Freight guy was there, along with UPS. The docks and the space in front are very narrow, so there is a tight left turn required before backing. I was cruising at about 15 mph, hit my tight left turn..... and sure as :censored2:.... MY FRONT DRIVER'S SIDE TIRE COMPLETELY FELL OFF. MY AXLE WAS DRAGGING AND GOUGED A HUGE LINE INTO THE PAVEMENT. It rolled away and landed on it's side and my head hit the window hard, but not enough to cause injury... I was so pissed I started screaming, worrying about getting a jack and a spare, or a rental... and about being out till midnight again.... Then I started laughing uncontrollably.

UPS and some of the dock workers ran over and were watching me and I told them I was okay... They were dumbstruck. My tire literally fell off and my van was idling in this narrow dock with the axle resting on the ground. Who knows if any of the components were damaged in that area... So here's what I did...

My first thought was to call the contractor.... get that :censored2: towed.... and get a rental and get delivering... but this was the straw that broke my back. I got my scanner, logged out (after reconciling all the packages), and in my Vehicle Inspection Report, I downed the van for bad tires. LMAO. I then got out, left the van idling, and I walked my ass home. And the best part is... I didn't tell anyone at the hub. Not only did they have a 3 legged van to deal with full of packages, but they had no scanner logged in and the van was out of commission. Now, I don't want you to think I'm a typical Ground slouch and I don';t do proper inspections, because I do. But it's peak, and I got this van at the last minute during the sort and was scrambling... I had no idea the lugs were so loose. It had been sitting there for months.

Anyway, this story is 100% true, and I hope you guys can appreciate the humor. This did actually happen, and more than likely the dock guys probably just called the cops and had that thing towed. I didn't tip anyone off, so as to delay them as long as possible... but logging out probably raised some flags. I am seriously considering showing up to the sort Monday and acting like nothing happened. My phone's been off so I'm sure I have a missed call or two..... :angel:

Stay safe guys. I will read and post occasionally.

bbsam

Staff member
I understand being tired of the crap, but all parties are probably best served with you finally leaving.

FUFred

So I've been a Ground driver for a bit now... I've put up with the bull :censored2: day in and day out. I've watched people come and go and some have become close friends. Everyone ends up hating this cesspool. I've seen some pretty fishy stuff... Scanner time violations (I've fraudulently logged my scanner times every day this week)... vehicles in poor condition... packages thrown and smashed into oblivion... people getting into fistfights... "driver releasing" those empty DirecTV boxes that are bad addresses into the trash can... A contractor who lies to his employees and treats us like animals... I've put up with it all because I do actually enjoy the job, and it's just a means to an end.... But today was the worst. The story I will tell you is 100% TRUE.

So today started normal, with a heavy load. I am usually in a Sprinter, which is plenty of room for me. It needed some work done and it couldn't wait... so I ended up in the POS spare.. which is a small cargo van. I've only driven this piece a few times.. It is similar in operation and appearance to Jim Carrey's dog cleaning van on Dumb and Dumber...

Anyway, early this morning, I was approaching a daily bulk stop at a school's food distribution warehouse. This is a pretty happening place, and it's not uncommon to run into FDX Freight, UPS, sometimes Express, and other freight companies... There's about 5 or 6 docks, and there's usually only one open. I was pulling in and the Freight guy was there, along with UPS. The docks and the space in front are very narrow, so there is a tight left turn required before backing. I was cruising at about 15 mph, hit my tight left turn..... and sure as :censored2:.... MY FRONT DRIVER'S SIDE TIRE COMPLETELY FELL OFF. MY AXLE WAS DRAGGING AND GOUGED A HUGE LINE INTO THE PAVEMENT. It rolled away and landed on it's side and my head hit the window hard, but not enough to cause injury... I was so pissed I started screaming, worrying about getting a jack and a spare, or a rental... and about being out till midnight again.... Then I started laughing uncontrollably.

UPS and some of the dock workers ran over and were watching me and I told them I was okay... They were dumbstruck. My tire literally fell off and my van was idling in this narrow dock with the axle resting on the ground. Who knows if any of the components were damaged in that area... So here's what I did...

My first thought was to call the contractor.... get that :censored2: towed.... and get a rental and get delivering... but this was the straw that broke my back. I got my scanner, logged out (after reconciling all the packages), and in my Vehicle Inspection Report, I downed the van for bad tires. LMAO. I then got out, left the van idling, and I walked my ass home. And the best part is... I didn't tell anyone at the hub. Not only did they have a 3 legged van to deal with full of packages, but they had no scanner logged in and the van was out of commission. Now, I don't want you to think I'm a typical Ground slouch and I don';t do proper inspections, because I do. But it's peak, and I got this van at the last minute during the sort and was scrambling... I had no idea the lugs were so loose. It had been sitting there for months.

Anyway, this story is 100% true, and I hope you guys can appreciate the humor. This did actually happen, and more than likely the dock guys probably just called the cops and had that thing towed. I didn't tip anyone off, so as to delay them as long as possible... but logging out probably raised some flags. I am seriously considering showing up to the sort Monday and acting like nothing happened. My phone's been off so I'm sure I have a missed call or two..... :angel:

Stay safe guys. I will read and post occasionally.
Love it. Best of luck to you.

HomeDelivery

wish you luck... you couldn't switch to another contractor that gives a crap about his drivers/vehicles?

i also thought both Ground & HD are working 6 days a week this month?!?

off to work!

!Retired!

First...I'm glad you're OK. If that tire had fallen off while on a major road, it could have been REALLY bad. Second...by quitting in that manner, it leaves you zero chance to get a job with another contractor, if you chose to do that.

Good luck to you.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Glad you're OK my friend.

First and foremost, they put you in an unsafe vehicle and didn't give a damn, so then why should you?

Indecisi0n

Your job is to see if there are water marks coming from the lug nuts which indicates loose nuts (no pun). It's not your job to reach down and feel if they are loose. If that were we would all need to be given a company torque wrench and a training class on how to use it. I would have laughed while I waited for over an hour BS'ing with the dock people. Then after they came out and fix the truck I would taken my lunch. Sounds like an easy 3 hours of downtime. Whats there there to be upset over?

dezguy

First off, thank God you're ok and thankfully you were going at a pretty low rate of speed before that tire came off. That could have been bad.

Secondly, you just fulfilled my dream scenario, leaving a truck in the middle of nowhere and not tell management. lol

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I am also glad that you are OK.

FedUP, it sounds like he left the truck in the middle of a loading zone/dock area. Were the semi's able to leave or did you leave them blocked in?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I understand being tired of the crap, but all parties are probably best served with you finally leaving.

Hey Dano Jr. Maybe if he had been treated like a human being, he wouldn't have had to quit. You have become a defender of the scam and everything bad that goes with it.

bbsam

Staff member
Well you can defend his actions if you want (since you don't have the cajones to do it yourself) but he seems happier and Ground is probably better off without him.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Well you can defend his actions if you want (since you don't have the cajones to do it yourself) but he seems happier and Ground is probably better off without him.

I would have given notice, but I'm not him, and his solution seems appropriate given the circumstances. He sounds like a good worker, and he is certainly intelligent. Yep, Ground is better off without people :censored2: him.

bbsam

Staff member
I would have given notice, but I'm not him, and his solution seems appropriate given the circumstances. He sounds like a good worker, and he is certainly intelligent. Yep, Ground is better off without people :censored2: him.
I don't care what company you're talking about. That kind of reckless indifference is inexcusable. As bad as the contractor obviously is does not excuse the OPs actions.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I don't care what company you're talking about. That kind of reckless indifference is inexcusable. As bad as the contractor obviously is does not excuse the OPs actions.

I disagree. The OP had reached his breaking point after all of the usual Ground crap and then some. I guess abuse is just an integral part of the Ground scam. You don't care, because it's working for you...that's all that matters.