Want Ads in the Sunday Paper

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
The package cars now have "help wanted" signs in the windshield. They say call or see this driver.

Why not have one of those guys who stand on the corner and twirl signs?? I know its stupid but it gets people's attention, besides what a great way to employ the homeless?

over9five

Staff member
"I remember in my district they went by a homeless shelter seeking helpers."

That's a good thing. Here, they go to the senior centers.

LKLND3380

I know the type you're talking about. There are something like a dozen in the western suburbs--Naperville, Lombard, etc--alone. Mostly ads BUT they did have a pretty good classifieds section. I stopped reading the one my parents got before I started high school in the Fall of '99. They were bad enough by that point. -Rocky

LOL... I think it was out there in DuPage County but I doubt it... I wasn't driving and my knowledge of the area makes me want to say it was Oakbrook or the big mall out in Palatine off the expressway...

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
"I remember in my district they went by a homeless shelter seeking helpers."
That's a good thing. Here, they go to the senior centers.

I can relate to this. A couple of Peaks ago, I went through four different Helpers. The second one was a retired Ford engineer. He was great to talk to and had all kind of ideas how UPS could do things better. Unfortunately, his ideas didn't involved himself walking at no faster than a snail's pace. After one day, I had him "reassigned" to another driver so he could share his wisdom elsewhere.:wink:

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
LOL... I think it was out there in DuPage County but I doubt it... I wasn't driving and my knowledge of the area makes me want to say it was Oakbrook or the big mall out in Palatine off the expressway...

::::Shrugs:::: Not sure. There're a LOT of malls in the Chicago-area. There is a place called Oak Brook Mall, though. I'm not really familar with the Palatine neck of the woods. I haven't been to the Oakbrook Mall in years. Its been 5 years since I was in a northern suburb. All I have to say is uggghhhh. Talk about DISGUSTING!!!! I kept myself confined to western DuPage County. Pretty much Glen Ellyn, Addison, Lombard, Winfield, Wheaton and northern Warrenville. Put it this way: I'd have a hard time finding the airports in metro-Chicago. I think I can find my way to O'Hare International but Midway.....forget it. I know.....I'm horrible. I couldn't stand Chicago (still can't). I'm not looking forward to my trip there in about 7 weeks. Hey, Red, you want to get drink? :biggrin: -Rocky

T

The Cardinal

I had a helper last year weighting 300+ LBS. I sent him to deliver a package to business wich had 2 glass doors in front. One is locked ( to control the trafic) with BIG arrow pointing to use the other door. He could not read the sign and insist on opening the door. I looked to see why is taking him soo long since its only few feets from the truck. I heard him yelling : $#%^% cant you just open the door? I'LL never forget this

LKLND3380

::::Shrugs:::: Not sure. There're a LOT of malls in the Chicago-area. There is a place called Oak Brook Mall, though. I'm not really familar with the Palatine neck of the woods. I haven't been to the Oakbrook Mall in years. Its been 5 years since I was in a northern suburb. All I have to say is uggghhhh. Talk about DISGUSTING!!!! I kept myself confined to western DuPage County. Pretty much Glen Ellyn, Addison, Lombard, Winfield, Wheaton and northern Warrenville. Put it this way: I'd have a hard time finding the airports in metro-Chicago. I think I can find my way to O'Hare International but Midway.....forget it. I know.....I'm horrible. I couldn't stand Chicago (still can't). I'm not looking forward to my trip there in about 7 weeks. Hey, Red, you want to get drink? :biggrin: -Rocky

Northern Warrenville??? I remember when it was "just" Warrenville... We would have to drive all the way to Naperville to grocery shop. The closest mall was Yorktown or Oakbrook - then a new mall opened - Fox Valley mall... LOL

I remember going into Chicago with my parents and seeing the big UPS building off the expressway glowing an erie green at night. Who would have guessed I would end up working at UPS one day...

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
Northern Warrenville??? I remember when it was "just" Warrenville... We would have to drive all the way to Naperville to grocery shop. The closest mall was Yorktown or Oakbrook - then a new mall opened - Fox Valley mall... LOL

I remember going into Chicago with my parents and seeing the big UPS building off the expressway glowing an erie green at night. Who would have guessed I would end up working at UPS one day...

Ummmm....mind if I ask when you left DuPage County??? Its grown a lot in the last ten years alone! When I say 'Northern Warrenville,' I'm talking about the area around what's now Cantera (Winfield Road and Diehl Road) near I-88. I stayed OUT of that area unless I had a reason to go there. Not dangerous or anything....I just didn't go down there unless I had to.

Again....there's been a LOT of construction in DuPage County in the last 10-15 years. There's a large shopping center on the southside of the town my parents live in. This was cornfields until the shopping center's construction in the late '80s or early '90s. You might be able to guess this town.

On a UPS note.....the UPS hub in Addision, Illinois was constructed to serve the area it serves AND that of the Palatine Facility. In addition, I've heard stories about the originally intended size of that Hub. I was told by an old-timer that it was supposed to be closer to the size of the Denver Hub (eight centers). The County and City told UPS no way due to fire concerns. Palatine opened in 1999, I think. Also, the North-South Tollway runs less than two miles from the Addison Hub. I think the Addison Hub opened in 1979. The North-South Tollway didn't open until the early '90s, I think. I-355 connects to interstates that go all over the country. UPS was on top of things as far as I'm concerned....-Rocky

terrymac

UPS shopping for employees at homeless shelters? One good thing about that, is that you could end their day, and drop them off anywhere.:ohmy:

LKLND3380

Ummmm....mind if I ask when you left DuPage County??? Its grown a lot in the last ten years alone! When I say 'Northern Warrenville,' I'm talking about the area around what's now Cantera (Winfield Road and Diehl Road) near I-88. I stayed OUT of that area unless I had a reason to go there. Not dangerous or anything....I just didn't go down there unless I had to.

Well... Ummm... 1981... I had to look up I-88 because I only know it as the East/West...

Again....there's been a LOT of construction in DuPage County in the last 10-15 years. There's a large shopping center on the southside of the town my parents live in. This was cornfields until the shopping center's construction in the late '80s or early '90s. You might be able to guess this town.

A lot has changed between visits. I am guessing there are a lot of new routes for UPS and more jobs for drivers...

On a UPS note.....the UPS hub in Addision, Illinois was constructed to serve the area it serves AND that of the Palatine Facility. In addition, I've heard stories about the originally intended size of that Hub. I was told by an old-timer that it was supposed to be closer to the size of the Denver Hub (eight centers). The County and City told UPS no way due to fire concerns. Palatine opened in 1999, I think. Also, the North-South Tollway runs less than two miles from the Addison Hub. I think the Addison Hub opened in 1979. The North-South Tollway didn't open until the early '90s, I think. I-355 connects to interstates that go all over the country. UPS was on top of things as far as I'm concerned....-Rocky

What is the hub right off the interstate near downtown Chicago? The building looks close enough that you could jump off the interstate and hit the roof?

LKLND3380

Ok.... I just found out it was the Springhill Mall in West Dundee... That is where I found the local paper with the UPS feeder Job in a TGIFridays type of place...

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
Well... Ummm... 1981... I had to look up I-88 because I only know it as the East/West...

If I hadn't lived in the Chicago-area, I almost wouldn't recognize a lot of it after all the growth in the last 10-15 years. I'm known for being a little more formal and using the numerical designation for roadways. Does Roosevelt Road ring any bells from your visits? If the number Route 38 rings any bells, that's it.:confused:1

A lot has changed between visits. I am guessing there are a lot of new routes for UPS and more jobs for drivers...

I really can't speak to this. But, from what I've seen, a lot has changed in terms of population. Several years ago, there was a rumor going around that UPS was considering building a hub out west in Aurora. Maybe 705Red has heard something about this lately.

What is the hub right off the interstate near downtown Chicago? The building looks close enough that you could jump off the interstate and hit the roof?

If its what I think it is, that would be the Jeff St. Hub. If I'm not mistaken, its seen from the Kennedy Expressway. Red or another Chicago poster, please correct me if I'm wrong. I think that building is headed towards being phased out and the volume moved. Its not far from a 'yuppying' neighborhood. I heard a rumor before I left UPS in Illinois that developers were trying to talk UPS into vacating the property.

Ok.... I just found out it was the Springhill Mall in West Dundee... That is where I found the local paper with the UPS feeder Job in a TGIFridays type of place...

The name of the mall rings a bell from somewhere. You were waaaaaay out from where I hung out. I know I've been to West Dundee but I can't remember when I was there last. Its been over 5 years, anyway. -Rocky

Joopster

Boxline Sorter
Here in Columbus they used to run ads on the radio station all the time for PART TIME HELP.

If anyone wants a part time job, the Columbus hub has got to be the easiest place to pick one up...

Sammie

I've been gone from the Brown Palace for two years now, but I know for a while, one could earn a $50 referral bonus to find someone willing to work in the hub.

And, (I just love this one), if a new hub employee showed up for work every day of the week he received a $50 bonus, if he showed up two Sundays in a row there was a $200 bonus, and if he worked thru the first month, a $100 bonus. They were also treated to cookouts and cake when they showed up for their night shifts. Our hub management also
cleared out a space in the hub for hub employees only mind you, with free pin ball machines and arcade games. No joke.

Sure made the rest of us working stiffs feel special!!!!!

Desperate men, desperate measures...:sad:

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
I've been gone from the Brown Palace for two years now, but I know for a while, one could earn a $50 referral bonus to find someone willing to work in the hub.

And, (I just love this one), if a new hub employee showed up for work every day of the week he received a $50 bonus, if he showed up two Sundays in a row there was a $200 bonus, and if he worked thru the first month, a $100 bonus. They were also treated to cookouts and cake when they showed up for their night shifts. Our hub management also
cleared out a space in the hub for hub employees only mind you, with free pin ball machines and arcade games. No joke.

Sure made the rest of us working stiffs feel special!!!!!

Desperate men, desperate measures...:sad:

That's ALL gone, Sammie. Where those pinball machines and arcade games were is now a part of the operation. The Commerce City Hub has made that area the irregs staging area. Very sad :crying:.

Commerce City is getting more and more desperate for employees, by the way. I keep waiting for my phone to go off with a phone call from Commerce City lol...:scared: -Rocky

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I think its getting to the point where ups has about exhausted its job pool. It seems like almost everybody has worked or has known someone who as worked at ups. Eventually, ups will let our 10 an 12 year old children become helpers. Hell, eventually they will probably have some kind of "package cannon" where parcels are shot from the truck onto a doorstep, going 20 mph down the street. Its scary to think of how this company is going to function, on many different levels, in the next 20 years. I think they now have a good rep in the public eye of paying well, but that your going to not have a life and get severely beat to ****, and to many, family is more important and to be able to retire without being a hunchback.