Warning letter for misloads *On Topic*

laffter

Misload warning letters have been floating around lately. It's not a huge concern, but given that they can be used as a step up to a suspension, I want to act accordingly. I haven't received a warning letter for misloads before, so I've never needed to respond in this manner.

To my knowledge, my only course of action is to submit a letter of protest. I have a good idea of what I need to say, but I'd like to know what sections in the contract are relevant to this topic. To anyone who has had previous experience with this: is there a specific point you feel needs to be mentioned?

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
Are you a steward ? Does progressive discipline apply ? Were you or the person spoken to about mis loads prior and with a steward present ? Need to answer these questions, and always protest everything ! Talk the sup into just a talking to ,no letter It is a hot topic in our hub right now and I have represented a few people with a result of no letters.

Pimpdaddy

I was just told I was getting a letter sent home for a bring back no freight. I pretty sure I loaded the freight on the trailer even wrote it up damaged on the exception log on the bottom of the manifest. My question is what and how would you protest it?

Pimpdaddy

That would be kind of hard to because you sign off on loading the freight. We still have pen and paper in our barn on the freight side.

laffter

The argument I would make is that any union employee can load packages onto any package car. They cannot prove that I loaded any particular package onto any car. Misload reports are routinely inaccurate- they sometimes show cars on people that did not load them, then reporting that they misloaded onto that car. I have heard from drivers about misloaded packages that I am certain I did not handle. Example: huge irreg misload in the rear that I know was not there when I left that morning. Irreg trains are still sometimes going around after some loaders go home, so other people are left to deal with them.

So, if they can't be certain that I am responsible for any misload, how can they discipline me for it? A warning letter may not really be discipline, but if the next step is suspension for something that may not have warranted it otherwise, then you've got a problem.

Oak

A warning letter may not really be discipline, but if the next step is suspension for something that may not have warranted it otherwise, then you've got a problem.

Oh, but a warning letter is progressive discipline. A timely grievance needs to be filed.

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
I hate getting misloads. I had a loader that was getting dinged on misloads. She was a sweet young lady and very concerned about doing the job right. I had her make a mark by the PAL label, a little slash, and any misload I would take a picture of it. I made it clear to her that this was a for better or worse situation but I knew she was a damn good loader. Sure enough, 99% of her misloads did not have the slash. I showed the pictures to her supe and they got off her back. If you are a good loader and show your drivers that you are concerned about the quality of your work, they will cover your back.

BrownThunder

I hate misloads too, but what I really hate is when they frisbee last minute NDAs into the back of my truck while I'm at PCM. Put that :censored2: on my chair, numbnuts!